161+ for Georgia State with 3.14 gpa?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
granato
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:56 pm

161+ for Georgia State with 3.14 gpa?

Postby granato » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:17 pm

So I have a 3.14 UG gpa from UGA, which puts me right above GSU's gpa 25th percentile. I'm assuming I'll need to make at least their 75th percentile on the lsat, which would be a 161 or above. What do you guys think my chances would be with a 161? LSN seems to show I'd have a fair to good shot, but I don't want to get my hopes up. I don't have any remarkable softs to speak of besides a current internship with an IP attorney.

Thanks tremendously for any answers!

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11728
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: 161+ for Georgia State with 3.14 gpa?

Postby kalvano » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:26 pm

As long as one number is at or above a 75th, your chances are at least 50/50.

goofl
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:07 pm

Re: 161+ for Georgia State with 3.14 gpa?

Postby goofl » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:27 pm

kalvano wrote:As long as one number is at or above a 75th, your chances are at least 50/50.


Anyone know if this is true?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11728
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: 161+ for Georgia State with 3.14 gpa?

Postby kalvano » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:32 pm

goofl wrote:
kalvano wrote:As long as one number is at or above a 75th, your chances are at least 50/50.


Anyone know if this is true?



I think he is lying to you.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: 161+ for Georgia State with 3.14 gpa?

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:40 pm

Top 25% for Georgia State full-time law program is a 163+ LSAT. The mid-range GPA is about 3.2 to 3.78. The acceptance rate is about 17%. Consider the part-time program which accepts about 25% of all applicants & the top 25% LSAT is 162+.
A GPA of 3.14 is quite low for Georgia State's full-time law school.

granato
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:56 pm

Re: 161+ for Georgia State with 3.14 gpa?

Postby granato » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:01 pm

Could you tell me where you found those numbers? Based on LSN 3.03 was 25th percentile gpa and 161 was 75th lsat.

policestate1234
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:43 pm

Re: 161+ for Georgia State with 3.14 gpa?

Postby policestate1234 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:16 pm

According to law school predictor, you're a weak consider for the school with a 161 lsat score. If you get a 163 score you will have a much better chance to get into the school.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: 161+ for Georgia State with 3.14 gpa?

Postby Barbie » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:27 pm

My cousin (lol @ referencing my cousin and being from Georgia...) goes to GA State and he got in this past year with a 3.2/160 ish if I remember correctly...

granato
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:56 pm

Re: 161+ for Georgia State with 3.14 gpa?

Postby granato » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:45 pm

Yeah, I saw on lsn some non-urm's got in with a 3.0 162, 3.2 158, 2.8 163, etc so I'm *thinking* a 163 would have me sitting nice. I didn't see anyone with a gpa above a 2.7 get rejected with a 163. I'm not feeling great about a 161 either based on lawschoolpredictor but I've read lsn gives a better picture (hopefully).

Barbie, so you think your boyfriend had a 160-163? I'm from georgia too, no hate :D

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: 161+ for Georgia State with 3.14 gpa?

Postby Barbie » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:20 am

granato wrote:Yeah, I saw on lsn some non-urm's got in with a 3.0 162, 3.2 158, 2.8 163, etc so I'm *thinking* a 163 would have me sitting nice. I didn't see anyone with a gpa above a 2.7 get rejected with a 163. I'm not feeling great about a 161 either based on lawschoolpredictor but I've read lsn gives a better picture (hopefully).

Barbie, so you think your boyfriend had a 160-163? I'm from georgia too, no hate :D


haha if only my actual boyfriend would EVER take the LSAT or go to LS. but I know my score was higher so I think he had a 160 or 161. I think you would have a decent shot as long as you break 160. I'm guessing you took in Oct. and your just score predicting?

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: 161+ for Georgia State with 3.14 gpa?

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:55 am

The numbers that I posted above were from USNews.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 161+ for Georgia State with 3.14 gpa?

Postby Grizz » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:10 am

Get a 164/5. Go to UGA.

reaisan
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:15 am

Re: 161+ for Georgia State with 3.14 gpa?

Postby reaisan » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:07 pm

rad law wrote:Get a 164/5. Go to UGA.

Does the OP have a real chance? I have a 3.2 and am predicting around 160 on the LSAT in Dec. So, I'm also wondering if UGA is possible.

To add, OP, the job prospects aren't as rosy as you'd imagine at GSU. Although right in the heart of the city, you'll have heavy competition from Emory and UGA... unless maybe you're at the top of your class at GSU.

So, something to consider is: are you likely to be at the top at GSU, or at the bottom at UGA?

User avatar
eandy
Posts: 2725
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: 161+ for Georgia State with 3.14 gpa?

Postby eandy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:17 pm

If you can get over the 164 LSAT wall at UGA, your chances are decent. The medians may go up this year, though.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 161+ for Georgia State with 3.14 gpa?

Postby Grizz » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:21 pm

reaisan wrote:
rad law wrote:Get a 164/5. Go to UGA.

Does the OP have a real chance? I have a 3.2 and am predicting around 160 on the LSAT in Dec. So, I'm also wondering if UGA is possible.

To add, OP, the job prospects aren't as rosy as you'd imagine at GSU. Although right in the heart of the city, you'll have heavy competition from Emory and UGA... unless maybe you're at the top of your class at GSU.

So, something to consider is: are you likely to be at the top at GSU, or at the bottom at UGA?


164 was the magic LSAT last year for all 3.0+ GPAs. This year it may be 165.

You can't predict whether you will be at the top or bottom of any law school class. The safe assumption is median. And while I wouldn't want to be median at either, I would much rather be median at UGA.

reaisan
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:15 am

Re: 161+ for Georgia State with 3.14 gpa?

Postby reaisan » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:40 pm

rad law wrote:164 was the magic LSAT last year for all 3.0+ GPAs. This year it may be 165.

You can't predict whether you will be at the top or bottom of any law school class. The safe assumption is median. And while I wouldn't want to be median at either, I would much rather be median at UGA.

Thanks a lot! You make a really good point. I'm going to do my best and throw an application UGA's way.

Also, I was wondering, can I ED this late? I won't take the LSAT until Dec. I thought committing to going to that school early is what counts, not applying early.

Thanks in advance!

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: 161+ for Georgia State with 3.14 gpa?

Postby Barbie » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:08 pm

reaisan wrote:
rad law wrote:164 was the magic LSAT last year for all 3.0+ GPAs. This year it may be 165.

You can't predict whether you will be at the top or bottom of any law school class. The safe assumption is median. And while I wouldn't want to be median at either, I would much rather be median at UGA.

Thanks a lot! You make a really good point. I'm going to do my best and throw an application UGA's way.

Also, I was wondering, can I ED this late? I won't take the LSAT until Dec. I thought committing to going to that school early is what counts, not applying early.

Thanks in advance!


Uhm I'm not sure ab this but I doubt you can ED when taking the LSAT in December... wayyy late. ED decisions would have already been handed out before you even get your score. and I don't think UGA does one anyway (if you were specifically talking about that school).

reaisan
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:15 am

Re: 161+ for Georgia State with 3.14 gpa?

Postby reaisan » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:01 am

To Barbie: Ah, okay. Well, depending on my chances, Korea seems like the thing to do for a year until I can ED for a good school.

To poster: I've been researching since reading the OP, and I have to say, GSU isn't worth it if you're doing PI. Top jobs are sparse in that field, so the school you graduate from counts even more! Despite what some think, I'd say if you HAD to do GSU, be sure to be in the top 10% of your class for a good position. I think at a higher-ranked institution, top 20%.

If you don't get in, don't despair! Use it to save up some money, maybe, to obtain residency for a state school that catches your eye. If it's really what you want to do, a year's wait won't be too painful.

EDIT: and don't forget to ED! :D While it worries some that you won't get as much scholarship money, I'd say for PI it's worth it when considering LARP and IBD.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: massappeal and 1 guest