How Does 1 Cancellation + 1 Absence Impact Chances

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

How Does 1 Cancellation + 1 Absence Impact Chances

Postby Aaron_R » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:59 pm

I flaked and I have one cancellation and one absence on my LSAT record, and no current score. I am aware this is not good, but I am not sure to what extent. Is this a nail in the coffin that essentially kills law school for me or something that can be overcome with a good score? Is top 20 attainable at this point?

If GPA is relevant to my question, I graduated with ~ 3.9 GPA from a well-respected state university with a double major in mathematics and psychology.

Thanks for any information.

Excellence = a Habit

Re: How Does 1 Cancellation + 1 Absence Impact Chances

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:29 pm

I think you're way more worried than you need to be. First of all, if you can write a decent addendum explaining why you missed/cancelled (due to illness, family emergency, etc.) then I think schools will disregard them altogether. If your reasons for the no-show/cancellation are just that you felt unprepared/felt like you didn't do well, then I'm not sure whether an addendum is still appropriate, but I think the impact on your chances would still be small. Way smaller than actually having a poor LSAT score on your record, and even that fate (one shared by me and many other law school applicants) isn't a huge deal if you retake and do better. If your score that counts is a good score, I think everything else will be largely overlooked.

Re: How Does 1 Cancellation + 1 Absence Impact Chances

Postby capitalacq » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:46 am

dont send an addendum. the absence + cancellation wont make a difference. dont worry about it

Return to “What are my chances?”