Chances & where to ED? 3.9 / 165

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Chances & where to ED? 3.9 / 165

Postby glacierfrost » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:45 am

For this question's purposes, I am only interested in the T14 starting from Berkeley and down. Other info:

Phi Beta Kappa
history of successful entrepreneurship
strong corporate work experience in China presently
strong PS, resume, and letter of recs (all academic)

And yes I am aware that my chances are slim to none but what I really want to know is where I should use my ED? I don't care which school it is, my goal is to get into any T14. Right now I'm thinking UVA or Michigan...Northwestern is out of the question since I absolutely do not have time to go interview on campus due to work.

I applied in a previous cycle without the China work experience and a 160 LSAT and was waitlisted at UVA and rejected at Boalt, didn't apply anywhere else in T14.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Chances & where to ED? 3.9 / 165

Postby NorCalBruin » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:46 am

I know you said Northwestern is out of the question because you don't have time to go to the campus, and I know you want to apply ED... but, if you don't apply early decision there, you could still apply early in the cycle and do your interview at a city more local to you. You should do this because Northwestern is the most likely to seriously evaluate your business/ent. experience and give you a bump to offset your subpar LSAT. (with a 3.9, 165 is really not subpar, it's just 2-3 points away from making you a lot lot more competitive at the T14).

The rest of the T14 doesn't look great, but it's certainly not hopeless. If you cover the bottom half you're likely to get in somewhere, ED or not. Of course, you're almost certainly out at Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, and NYU. From what I hear, UVA is craving GPA's right now. Berkeley always likes GPAs, though their process is always a gamble. And the rest of the bunch is lookin' 50/50 ish... so you might as well spray and play.

But i'm new here, so what the fuck do I know. Let the others share the wisdom.

Postby broker02 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:09 pm

I hope UVA is craving GPA's this year - I have a 3.9 and am taking the LSAT this week (PT's range from 164-168). Certainly not good enough for RD, but hoping they'll bite on an ED. I have fairly good softs and good LoR's as well, not that it will make much difference.

Postby im_blue » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:30 pm

With your work experience, you should strongly consider applying ED to Northwestern. Try to schedule a Monday or Friday interview and take a day off from work.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:33 pm

Nightrunner wrote:Considering your work experience, you might manage to sneak into NU even without ED. Apply without the interview, and tell them why (being on the other side of the world is a good excuse).

I'd hit UVA with an ED anyway. Then try the above. OP could even see if NU will allow an ED even though OP can't interview. The interview must be a formality, me and Corsair got through it.

Postby glacierfrost » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Thanks for the input guys. I'll ask NU if I can still apply ED without doing the mandatory on campus interview. They do interviews in Beijing which is where I am at so that's a good thing. But if I cannot ED there, the consensus seems to be I should just ED at UVA and then hope for the best everywhere else?

Also, don't know if this makes a difference, but Penn, Michigan, Cornell, and Georgetown have "East Asian law / Chinese law" specialty programs which I feel I can express a genuine interest for and contribution towards in a separate "Why X" statement. Would that possibly change where I should send the ED to?

Ah, if only Cornell had ED this would make my decision a lot easier.

Return to “What are my chances?”