What do I need for these schools? (2011-2012 cycle)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
motiontodismiss

What do I need for these schools? (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:06 am

LSDAS GPA: 3.49
LSAT: Have yet to take it-taking it in December, and if necessary, in February and June
Recs: 2 from professors, 1 from internship supervisor (and maybe 1 from supervisor at current work)
-let's assume that they won't be blowing anyone's socks off-let's say they'll be decent to good
Essays: Probably nothing Pulitzer-worthy or anything....but let's say they'll be decent to good
Softs: nothing special
-Upward GPA trend (fwiw)
-Typical prelaw stuff from college
-PD's office internship over a summer
-Graduated in 3 years
Work Experience: 2 years by the time I start law school-but it's a gov (NOT US) job overseas, not like, McKinsey or anything.

What's the minimum LSAT score I need to have a greater than slim chance at these schools (both RD and ED/EA)?
Columbia*:
Chicago*:
NYU*:
*I'll be going ED to ONE of those schools if I get the requisite LSAT score
Penn:
Michigan:
UVA:
Northwestern:
Duke:
Cornell:
Georgetown:
*Probably ED to Northwestern or Penn or UVA if I can reasonably get into this tier
UT:
Vanderbilt:
Wash U:
UIUC:
Notre Dame:

Assume applications will go complete before October. Took out the California schools because they're notorious GPA whores and my GPA is well, mediocre+I have no desire to practice on the West Coast.

One more thing, money would be nice, but not a factor. Prepared to pay sticker.

Grizz

Re: What do I need for these schools? (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Grizz » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:24 am

Since you're a run of the mill applicant, just go look it up on Law School Numbers. That's what everyone's answers are gonna be based on anyways.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:50 am

176+: good chance at CCN ED
174-175: decent chance at CCN ED
173: slim but non-zero chance at CCN ED
170-172: ED at a lower T14 (MVP, DNG)
168-169: in at WUSTL and Illinois RD

* NYU is the most splitter-friendly of CCN.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:11 am

rad law wrote:Since you're a run of the mill applicant, just go look it up on Law School Numbers. That's what everyone's answers are gonna be based on anyways.

K thanks...any way to make myself any less run of the mill?

Postby 2014 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:43 am

If you haven't graduate get a better GPA.
Unless you can get a Rhodes, do the Peace Corp, change your race, or get and subsequently recover from a significant handicap, you are going to be similar to 95% of the other applicants making your numbers the only thing you are in control over comparatively.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:25 pm

2014 wrote:If you haven't graduate get a better GPA.
Unless you can get a Rhodes, do the Peace Corp, change your race, or get and subsequently recover from a significant handicap, you are going to be similar to 95% of the other applicants making your numbers the only thing you are in control over comparatively.

This.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:16 am

im_blue wrote:176+: good chance at CCN ED

Which one of MVP and DCNG are the most splitter-friendly?

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:32 am

motiontodismiss wrote:
im_blue wrote:176+: good chance at CCN ED

Which one of MVP and DCNG are the most splitter-friendly?

V, N (with WE), and G

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:07 am

Since I do have work experience...

Would a 170+ get me into NU if I went ED like september 1st and flew 14 hours to Chicago to interview (yes I'm insane enough to consider doing this if It'll get me in)?

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:46 am

motiontodismiss wrote:Since I do have work experience...

Would a 170+ get me into NU if I went ED like september 1st and flew 14 hours to Chicago to interview (yes I'm insane enough to consider doing this if It'll get me in)?

I think you'd have a good shot, though as the dean who stressed the emphasis on WE is leaving / just left to become president of the New School, there is potential that the policy could change next year. I get the impression a change is unlikely, but I think it's worth looking out for.
Since you live overseas, have you been able to visit any of the schools? If you're in the states at all this year, I think a tour of where you think you'd like to attend would be useful. That way you can really speak to why you're applying ED wherever you end up choosing.
I'm assuming you went to undergrad in the states; is that correct? Whether you're an ex-pat or a foreign student, I think you could have a compelling story about living in different cultures. A little cliche, perhaps, but that's when you bring in what's special about you.

Good luck!

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:20 am

Yes, I went to undergrad in the states. And yes, I visited Northwestern before I left the country because I KNEW it would cost upwards of $2k to visit from out here (something that I am willing to do if it will get me in-as someone who used to fly a lot for school, if I were dean of admissions and someone flew 14 hours in economy, twice inside of a week, to show how much they love my school, they'd be an autoadmit-it takes SERIOUS dedication to do that to oneself). Well, NU and Penn. Loved the NU campus and the vibe. Chicagoans are some of the nicest big city people in the world. Seriously. I made sure to pick up a whole bunch of information on their clinical programs and shit so I think I'm good :D now if only I could get that damn LSAT score (and I better, I just spent $68 postponing to February...)....

I only saw pictures of UVa though. So if you were to ask me "Why UVa?" I wouldn't be able to answer that (besides "I think I'll get in" which would probably get me an autoding). But luckily I'm not applying until next cycle.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:26 am

If I get a 170 or higher, how do my chances look at Vanderbilt (if god forbid I don't get into UVa ED)? Rumor around TLS is that they don't like splitters.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:29 pm

motiontodismiss wrote: And yes, I visited Northwestern before I left the country because I KNEW it would cost upwards of $2k to visit from out here (something that I am willing to do if it will get me in

I think prevailing wisdom is 170+ and 3.+ with 2 years of WE makes you an admit for NW ED.

motiontodismiss wrote: I only saw pictures of UVa though. So if you were to ask me "Why UVa?" I wouldn't be able to answer that (besides "I think I'll get in" which would probably get me an autoding). But luckily I'm not applying until next cycle.

You could answer this on research (not just pictures) you've done about a school. You dont need to visit every school to have a compelling reason to want to go there.

motiontodismiss wrote:If I get a 170 or higher, how do my chances look at Vanderbilt (if god forbid I don't get into UVa ED)? Rumor around TLS is that they don't like splitters.

Without having looked at LSP or LSN, 170 + 3.49 + why vandy probably makes you a good shot there, I'm guessing.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:03 pm

trudat15 wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote: And yes, I visited Northwestern before I left the country because I KNEW it would cost upwards of $2k to visit from out here (something that I am willing to do if it will get me in

I think prevailing wisdom is 170+ and 3.+ with 2 years of WE makes you an admit for NW ED.

b t dubs, that's two years BY THE TIME I ENTER LAW SCHOOL, not two years when I apply (it would be ~1 year by then). Does that change anything?

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:38 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:
trudat15 wrote:

b t dubs, that's two years BY THE TIME I ENTER LAW SCHOOL, not two years when I apply (it would be ~1 year by then). Does that change anything?

Other people would probably know better, but I think two years by the time you enter is fine. The application explicitly states: How many years of WE will you have when you matriculate?

Return to “What are my chances?”