So unfair that so much weight hinges on an lsat score Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Patriot1208

Platinum

Re: So unfair that so much weight hinges on an lsat score

Post by Patriot1208 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:50 pm

Unemployed wrote:
masterthearts wrote:I have a 3.87 gpa from an Ivy Leauge . . . My starting lsat before I prepped was 153. Now, I can get anywhere from 159-165 on practice tests.
This may be a scathing indictment on your grade-inflated Ivy League rather than evidence of LSAT's inadequacy. Just saying, brah.
TBF, ivy league grade inflation is not much worse than the VAST majority of all schools.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:56 pm

You have a sky-high GPA. You're a URM. You have way, way more leeway with this test than 99% of your peers. I mean this in the nicest way possible, but quit bitching and get back to studying.

masterthearts

Bronze

Post by masterthearts » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:00 pm

My ivy league has no grade inflation..one of the few that does not

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:01 pm

masterthearts wrote:My ivy league has no grade inflation..one of the few that does not
:( SAYTP Cornell diploma broseph Stalin. Enjoy yo' mad HOTEL skilz.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:03 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Law school exams are really going to piss you off.
<3

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

masterthearts

Bronze

Post by masterthearts » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:13 pm

Veyron wrote:
masterthearts wrote:My ivy league has no grade inflation..one of the few that does not
:( SAYTP Cornell diploma broseph Stalin. Enjoy yo' mad HOTEL skilz.
Nah, not a hotelie. I can't cook

asoularisen

New

Post by asoularisen » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:13 pm

Someone that gets a boost in admissions because of their ethnicity complaining about how unfair a standardized test is?

There are no words...

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:23 pm

On the contrary, the LSAT is arguably the fairest part of this whole process.

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:28 pm

masterthearts wrote: I can just as easily get a 159 as I can a 165 on Oct 9th when I take my first REAL lsat.

Or even a 153!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

masterthearts

Bronze

Post by masterthearts » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:30 pm

I did get a 169 on a pt recently, but I won't count that since it only happened once. i got more 159's on pt's than i can count

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:30 pm

Can I get a humor-ban exemption on this thread?

TYIA.

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:45 pm

Actually it is more fair than anything else would be. /thread

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:46 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:51 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Uh hell no. After having actually taken a law school exam this past week here at UVA, and looking back on all the LSAT studying I did, the two are not anywhere near as similar as a lot AA detractors make them out to be. Realistically, law school exams are: 1. More similar to undergrad essay tests than the LSAT and 2. much more fair and relevant to testing the skills needed by a lawyer (spotting issues, arguing multiple sides, and making persuasive arguments). Actually looking back on it....why the hell are logic games on the LSAT?????

OP you'll be fine. Pull of a 160 and you'll most likely get one of Harvard/Stanford. You'll get scholarship money throughout the rest of the top 14 excluding Yale.

masterthearts

Bronze

Post by masterthearts » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:56 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Uh hell no. After having actually taken a law school exam this past week here at UVA, and looking back on all the LSAT studying I did, the two are not anywhere near as similar as a lot AA detractors make them out to be. Realistically, law school exams are: 1. More similar to undergrad essay tests than the LSAT and 2. much more fair and relevant to testing the skills needed by a lawyer (spotting issues, arguing multiple sides, and making persuasive arguments). Actually looking back on it....why the hell are logic games on the LSAT?????

OP you'll be fine. Pull of a 160 and you'll most likely get one of Harvard/Stanford. You'll get scholarship money throughout the rest of the top 14 excluding Yale.
Bull

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:57 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

I don't think OP was complaining that the LSAT did not do a good enough job of testing his lawyering skills, bro. Also, WTF, AA detractors? I think I'm missing something.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:59 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Actually looking back on it....why the hell are logic games on the LSAT?????
Because logical reasoning under extreme time pressure is exactly what you're doing when spotting and analyzing issues on a law school exam?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:59 pm

masterthearts wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

Bull
This depends on what type of URM you are. If you are African American then you can get Columbia with a 162. If you are mexican or native american it will be harder. This is the point people were making, being a URM gives you an astronomical boost so you shouldn't really be bitching. Getting a 164 on the LSAT is easy, do it, use your AA status to get into CCN, and profit.

DearCan

Bronze

Post by DearCan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:01 pm

OP's post is the equivalent of a person sitting in the corner of a dimly lit room, wearing a sweater vest and donning an emo haircut, while a single tear trails down his cheek. OP you should know that what you consider to be "not fair" doesn't matter after your mom stops cutting the edges off your PB&J's. Harsh, I know, but considering you have a URM boost, you're not in much of a position to question what is "fair". Grr.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:12 pm

DearCan

Bronze

Post by DearCan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:14 pm

kalvano wrote:Image
ASSIST!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:17 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:Actually looking back on it....why the hell are logic games on the LSAT?????
Because logical reasoning under extreme time pressure is exactly what you're doing when spotting and analyzing issues on a law school exam?
Yes but let's be honest, the way that the two test logical reasoning skills is not nearly as analagous as many in this thread are making it out to be. People are trying to scare him shitless. For one, the LSAT actually tests logic in the formal logic sense, that's really not analogous to spotting issues and arguing both sides. Now for the sake of making the test easy to administer and because they want to make it multiple choice, I understand why LSAC designs the test the way they do. But to make it seem like the LSAT and law school exams are practically identical in nature is disingenuous. I"m sorry but the logic games section is simply not closely aligned with law school exams. The reality is that the difficulty of the law school exam comes more from the curve and competing against your classmates.

In response to the bull comment: I'm assuming OP is Black.
I don't think OP was complaining that the LSAT did not do a good enough job of testing his lawyering skills, bro. Also, WTF, AA detractors? I think I'm missing something.
If you missed why I would say AA detractors in this thread, you must have only read the OP's post, and mine.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:20 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Yes but let's be honest, the way that the two test logical reasoning skills is not nearly as analagous as many in this thread are making it out to be. People are trying to scare him shitless. For one, the LSAT actually tests logic in the formal logic sense, that's really not analogous to spotting issues and arguing both sides. Now for the sake of making the test easy to administer and because they want to make it multiple choice, I understand why LSAC designs the test the way they do. But to make it seem like the LSAT and law school exams are practically identical in nature is disingenuous. I"m sorry but the logic games section is simply not closely aligned with law school exams. The reality is that the difficulty of the law school exam comes more from the curve and competing against your classmates.

In response to the bull comment: I'm assuming OP is Black.
If you missed why I would say AA detractors in this thread, you must have only read the OP's post, and mine.
All things equal, I would put my money on the guy with the 170+ on the LSAT than the guy with a sub 160 score to ace his law school finals.

Hell I'd put my money on the 170+ guy even if all things weren't equal.

lebroniousjames

Bronze

Post by lebroniousjames » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:33 pm

haha

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:50 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
That is exactly what I did.

Anyway, it just seems to me that OP is bitching about one test playing such a huge part in determining where one goes to school. It's not like the experience of one or a small group of tests playing a huge part in career direction will change anytime soon for him.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”