2.0/162 +gpa addendum Chances at FSU/Stetson?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
goofl

2.0/162 +gpa addendum Chances at FSU/Stetson?

Postby goofl » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:01 pm

I'm working with a 2.0 gpa and scoring in the 162 range on practice LSATs (will take actual test in December). I will include an addendum about the gpa (brother passed away my soph. year), but I realize it's still a 2.0. Do I have any chance at FSU/Stetson?

Grizz

Re: 2.0/162 +gpa addendum Chances at FSU/Stetson?

Postby Grizz » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:40 pm

goofl wrote:I'm working with a 2.0 gpa and scoring in the 162 range on practice LSATs (will take actual test in December). I will include an addendum about the gpa (brother passed away my soph. year), but I realize it's still a 2.0. Do I have any chance at FSU/Stetson?

Need at least a 167 for FSU probably. Last year, a 166/2.7 got in, but a 167/2.6 got WL. Hard to say because there's not a lot of data on people with low low GPAs.

No clue if you'll get into Stetson, but I wouldn't go without close to a full ride, which you're not competitive for. Work on increasing your LSAT.

goofl

Postby goofl » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:11 pm

Thanks, rad law. I'll keep up the LSAT practice! So no excuses allowed for gpa, then?

84weeks

Postby 84weeks » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:21 pm

I applied to both last year. I was WL at FSU and received $10,000/year to Stetson (which I had to appeal to be considered for). I thought that amount was bs and ended up going to a better school for more money and a smaller bottom line. I had a 3.2 (addendum about significant health problems) and 161. My advice is to hit as close to 170 as you can and prep, prep, prep over the next few months. Good luck!

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:47 pm

goofl wrote:Thanks, rad law. I'll keep up the LSAT practice! So no excuses allowed for gpa, then?

If LSN shows us anything, it's that these type of addenda don't help that much, unfortunately. There's just too many qualified people applying.

goofl

Postby goofl » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:25 pm

rad law wrote:
goofl wrote:Thanks, rad law. I'll keep up the LSAT practice! So no excuses allowed for gpa, then?

If LSN shows us anything, it's that these type of addenda don't help that much, unfortunately. There's just too many qualified people applying.

Boo! I was going to ask about what constitutes the "good softs" term that I've seen thrown around the forum, but I'll just hope they're icing on the cake when I kick butt on my LSAT!

And 84weeks, thanks for sharing your numbers. Honestly, I'd be willing to pay sticker for any decent school. That especially goes for Stetson, as I plan to stick around Central FL after graduation.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:31 pm

goofl wrote:And 84weeks, thanks for sharing your numbers. Honestly, I'd be willing to pay sticker for any decent school. That especially goes for Stetson, as I plan to stick around Central FL after graduation.

Do NOT pay anything close to sticker for Stetson. Horrible idea in this economy. Grads from UF and FSU grads around median are having a tough time finding jobs in Central FL (where I'm from). Firms that used to take the top of Stetson's class now can grab T25 kids who couldn't get jobs in NY/DC/Chi/LA/etc. and are now coming back home, willing to take any job. Small firms and local govt. that used to recruit more Stetson kids aren't really doing a lot of hiring, esp. govt. (no money to hire). Stetson at sticker is a bad, bad idea.

goofl

Postby goofl » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:35 pm

rad law wrote:
goofl wrote:And 84weeks, thanks for sharing your numbers. Honestly, I'd be willing to pay sticker for any decent school. That especially goes for Stetson, as I plan to stick around Central FL after graduation.

Do NOT pay anything close to sticker for Stetson. Horrible idea in this economy. Grads from UF and FSU grads around median are having a tough time finding jobs in Central FL (where I'm from). Firms that used to take the top of Stetson's class now can grab T25 kids who couldn't get jobs in NY/DC/Chi/LA/etc. and are now coming back home, willing to take any job. Small firms and local govt. that used to recruit more Stetson kids aren't really doing a lot of hiring, esp. govt. (no money to hire). Stetson at sticker is a bad, bad idea.

So, do you think it would be better to attend a school like FIU that doesn't have as great a reputation but has lower tuition?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:37 pm

goofl wrote:
rad law wrote:

So, do you think it would be better to attend a school like FIU that doesn't have as great a reputation but has lower tuition?

Nope, unless you can go for almost free. FL is tough right now. There are 11 law schools here churning out grads like no one's business. Plus South FL is an even more desirable market that Central FL.

goofl

Postby goofl » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:43 pm

rad law wrote:
goofl wrote:
rad law wrote:

Nope, unless you can go for almost free. FL is tough right now. There are 11 law schools here churning out grads like no one's business. Plus South FL is an even more desirable market that Central FL.

Eek. 170+ and $$$ or bust, it is!

WhydidntItry

Postby WhydidntItry » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:20 am

GooFL, I just applied to stetson's part-time program with a 162 and a horrible GPA, i will let you know how it goes. FSU was a no hope situation so I didn't try. I did apply to FIU, but they require 3 LORs and I only have two... so we'll see what happens. I'll let you know what happens, pm me in a couple weeks and i'll let you know what schools did/did not show any love.

goofl

Postby goofl » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:02 pm

WhydidntItry wrote:GooFL, I just applied to stetson's part-time program with a 162 and a horrible GPA, i will let you know how it goes. FSU was a no hope situation so I didn't try. I did apply to FIU, but they require 3 LORs and I only have two... so we'll see what happens. I'll let you know what happens, pm me in a couple weeks and i'll let you know what schools did/did not show any love.

Good luck, WhydidntItry! I will absolutely pm you to find out the results. Fingers crossed!

Return to “What are my chances?”