What are my chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
thementor31337

What are my chances?

Postby thementor31337 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:52 pm

This is my first post on the board after discovering the site over a week ago while searching for LSAT prep advice. I am taking the LSAT next week (October 9th) and any kind of realistic opinion on what my chances are would be appreciated. Stats are as follows:

PT LSAT:160
Bachelors of Science in Computer Information Systems with a concentration in Homeland Security from Strayer University (2010) (selected as valedictorian of class for commencement)
Graduating cummulative GPA from Strayer: 4.0
Associates in Science from Burlington County Community College (NJ) 2006
Associates GPA 2.968 (bulk of classes taken 2000-2003)
8 yrs work experience as licensed insurance agent (1998-2007) (continue to hold an active license)
3.5 years active duty miltary service (Marine Corps) (2007-present) with another 1.5yrs to go (EAS 2012)
Honor graduate from my military MOS school (not saying much unfortunately...)
28 y/o white female
Solid resume w/work experience and short but impressive military career (awards, etc)
Interested in pursuing joint degree program in National/Homeland Security Law and MS in Security Studies

Want to ED to Georgetown, but also applying to George Mason and GW. I am stationed in Quantico, VA and intend on staying in the area when I get out of the military. Also, I forgot to mention that I will be applying to the part time program as I'll still be in the military next fall.

Strayer University is geared towards non-traditional students such as myself, but I wouldn't consider it a diploma mill or miliary specific school. I haven't written my personal statement yet, but I know I will dedicate most of it to how my military service has affected my life, and my decision to join in the first place.

Any type of general opinion as to whether I'm shooting way out of reach or if I have an actual chance would be awesome. Thanks!
Last edited by thementor31337 on Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richie Tenenbaum

Re: What are my chances?

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:00 pm

One thing that needs to be sorted out first--

You need to calculate your cumulative undergrad GPA (here is one: http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ulator.htm and there are other ones out there too). Keep in mind, your GPA before your first degree being granted is what will count as your GPA for school.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:06 pm

Looks like your GPA will be around 3.5 as an estimate. With that you will need 172+ for georgetown and 169+ for george washington. And 164+ for GMU.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:12 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Looks like your GPA will be around 3.5 as an estimate. With that you will need 172+ for georgetown and 169+ for george washington. And 164+ for GMU.

If that is her cumulative GPA (which I'm wondering, since if she already had a degree before Strayer it's going to be a lot lower), she could probably get away with a lower LSAT score then you suggest. Military service is a pretty good soft that can actually be a game changer in terms of numbers, unlike most softs.

thementor31337

Postby thementor31337 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:18 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:Looks like your GPA will be around 3.5 as an estimate. With that you will need 172+ for georgetown and 169+ for george washington. And 164+ for GMU.

If that is her cumulative GPA (which I'm wondering, since if she already had a degree before Strayer it's going to be a lot lower), she could probably get away with a lower LSAT score then you suggest. Military service is a pretty good soft that can actually be a game changer in terms of numbers, unlike most softs.

I only had a two year degree before graduating from Strayer. I finished up my Associates before entering the military so that I could start out one rank above the bottom and also so that the credits that I did take at community wouldn't disappear due to inactivity. After 4 years of inactivity, the credits at that community college essentially disappear so one would have to start all over again. It's rather ridiculous in my opinion. Regardless, I transferred almost all the community college credits to Strayer and proceeded to maintain two years of perfect GPA.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:20 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

I just looked at LSN. For Georgetown she would need at least a 171. 172 is the safety zone for a 3.5. George Washington everyone with that gpa below 167 got waitlisted or rejected, 168 to be safe. And at George mason it seems 163-164 is where the wall is for 3.5's. Even with a good soft according to LSN basically no one is getting in under that.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:21 pm

thementor31337 wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

I only had a two year degree before graduating from Strayer. I finished up my Associates before entering the military so that I could start out one rank above the bottom and also so that the credits that I did take at community wouldn't disappear due to inactivity. After 4 years of inactivity, the credits at that community college essentially disappear so one would have to start all over again. It's rather ridiculous in my opinion. Regardless, I transferred almost all the community college credits to Strayer and proceeded to maintain two years of perfect GPA.

Ya, but for your Law school admissions you will have to send in your CC transcript and your transcript for your bachelors. They will then calculate your LSAC gpa which seems to be somewhere around 3.5.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:22 pm

thementor31337 wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

Ah, well that's good to the extent that GPA from Strayer will do a good job of pulling up your GPA. Bad to the extent that you need to use all the previous classes in your GPA calculation. A short GPA addendum can be written to explain the lower grades, but they still will be counted in calculating what your UGPA is.

thementor31337

Postby thementor31337 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:28 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
thementor31337 wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

Ah, well that's good to the extent that GPA from Strayer will do a good job of pulling up your GPA. Bad to the extent that you need to use all the previous classes in your GPA calculation. A short GPA addendum can be written to explain the lower grades, but they still will be counted in calculating what your UGPA is.

The main reason the GPA was so low at CC was because I was just doing too much at once. After graduating HS in 2000, I immediately went to insurance school which started the same time as my first semester of CC. I was also working full time throughout and living on my own from 2001 on. I suffered from severe burnout, which caused my lapse of schooling for 3 years.

If school only mattered as much to me when I was 18 as it does now...

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:33 pm

thementor31337 wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
thementor31337 wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

The main reason the GPA was so low at CC was because I was just doing too much at once. After graduating HS in 2000, I immediately went to insurance school which started the same time as my first semester of CC. I was also working full time throughout and living on my own from 2001 on. I suffered from severe burnout, which caused my lapse of schooling for 3 years.

Ya, I'm not getting on you that is just the way law school admissions is done. So the LSAT numbers I put up above will still basically stand. So go study your ass off for the LSAT.

thementor31337

Postby thementor31337 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:39 pm

Studying has been all I've been doing since I finished with the Bachelor's. I figure that if I don't do as well as I'd like, or if I think I can do significantly better, I will probably re-take in December. From what I'm reading, averaging no longer occurs, so retaking doesn't really have that many consequences.

Return to “What are my chances?”