3.3 gpa, 170 lsat, strong softs: T-14? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
dc_plz

New

3.3 gpa, 170 lsat, strong softs: T-14?

Post by dc_plz » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:57 pm

I've already played around with lawschoolpredictor and LSN, but I'm trying to figure out if there are any specific T14s I should aim for. Here are my numbers, etc:

-3.3 gpa, degree in communications
-170 LSAT on retake (167 on my first try)
-Two years in Teach for America; also coached football and soccer at the HS level
-One year +/- working as a reporter for one of the top circ magazines in the country
-Good LORs, personal statement, etc.

I have very specific goals with a law degree that all relate to media business, so I will probably be getting a JD/MBA. Northwestern and Penn are my top choices because of that, but am I being realistic? Will my experience/softs push me into either of those? Dare I think about HYS or CCN?

I'll probably end up going with a spray and pray approach, but I want to know if I should focus my attention on any specific T14s as I apply. So, TLS...HELP ME!

beachbum

Gold

Re: 3.3 gpa, 170 lsat, strong softs: T-14?

Post by beachbum » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:08 pm

Penn and Northwestern are both reasonable with ED. Your chances are better at Northwestern, but you stand a fighting chance at Penn (particularly with TFA/work experience). You're also a lock at UVA ED, for what that's worth. HYS and CCN are out. Good luck.

Edit: This only relates to JD admissions; I'm not familiar with their dual degrees.

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:14 pm

I agree - HYS CCN are out. Best bet is to ED. Based on LSN, I think you would have a better chance with Northwestern or UVA than Penn.

nateaway

New

Post by nateaway » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:26 pm

Penn Law is a chance but getting into wharton for the jd/mba is pretty much a non-starter with those numbers

dc_plz

New

Post by dc_plz » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:32 pm

Penn and Northwestern are both reasonable with ED. Your chances are better at Northwestern, but you stand a fighting chance at Penn (particularly with TFA/work experience). You're also a lock at UVA ED, for what that's worth. HYS and CCN are out. Good luck.
Somewhere in the T6 would obviously be great (I would kill for Chicago law+business) but I realize that's probably a pipe dream. I'll take a shot in the dark but I'm not counting on it.
Edit: This only relates to JD admissions; I'm not familiar with their dual degrees.
This is the problem I'm having. I can't find any hard stats or even detailed class profiles for the JD/MBA programs at NU, Penn or anywhere else I'm seriously interested in. Anyone know where I can find that? And does anyone know of schools that are generous with scholarships for JD/MBAs?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:57 pm

Yup, Virginia is the best bet here with an ED.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:20 pm

You have no shot at HYSCCN, but you have a shot at Penn and Northwestern, which have the strongest MBA programs of the lower T14. Michigan, Virginia, Duke, and Georgetown are also possibilities.

fugitivejammer

Bronze

Post by fugitivejammer » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:27 pm

I don't thnk penn is likely, but Northwestern and UVA (ED) would b reasonable i think. I think u might have trouble gettin into some of those top MBA schools (not sure of ur GMAT...) such as penn and northwestern though. I know that for some schools like northwestern, u can just send in one app and apply for jd/mba at the same time, but admissions for that is going to be more selective than the normal admissions process. I don't have statistics for you, but from profiles i've seen, ppl that r accepted and attend those jd/mba programs are usually more impressive than a normal jd student accepted at the same school (on avg).

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:17 pm

Northwestern might have a dual degree program with Medill if you were potentially interested in a journalism degree over an MBA. A friend of mine did that funky journalism MA where you do 1L in the law school, said it was hard as hell, but now she's doing political coverage in Washington that she loves.

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:41 pm

If you want a JD/MBA you can apply to NW's accelerated program. Though, they need a GMAT and not LSAT. I hear good t hings about that program.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”