Shot at U San Fran

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Shot at U San Fran

Postby bk1 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:17 pm

nickbentley wrote:Are the job opportunities in public interest very hard to come by as well? What am I missing?


There are more JD's created every year than jobs that require JD's.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Shot at U San Fran

Postby Grizz » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:24 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
There are a lot of attornies and judges that came from USF. It will take you to big law, but only if you are cumma, or magma.



Past hiring =/= future hiring.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Shot at U San Fran

Postby General Tso » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:32 pm

rad law wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:
There are a lot of attornies and judges that came from USF. It will take you to big law, but only if you are cumma, or magma.



Past hiring =/= future hiring.


yeah look at Hastings. More judges than any other CA law school, and far more attorneys in SF than any other law school. Is it helping current Hastings students? Not really...

jarofsoup
Posts: 1952
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Shot at U San Fran

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:45 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
nickbentley wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
nickbentley wrote:Really? Is it that brutal that most firms only draw from Hastings?


lol most firms draw from better schools then hastings, but San Francisco is lower on the pecking order than Hastings.


So it will be harder to land the first job, then after that, it is about experience right?

I want to work in SF, but I do not have the numbers for hastings


Honestly, search around this site, the legal profession is maybe the most prestige-whoreish profession there is. And SF is one of the hardest markets to break into. The likelihood of getting a good job out of SF is very small. And the likelihood of landing a legal job at all is not that great. And once you miss that boat it's a lot harder to get in later. Schools like San Francisco are full of grads who never actually end up work in the legal profession because they can find better paying jobs in whatever they were doing before law school. And by better paying I mean 60k.



The 60k thing is not very accurate. Solo practices can bring in more than this easily. I know a handful of lawyers that have their own practice and they can make well over 100k in the SF Bay Area.

Everyone that I know that goes to USF Law really likes the faculty, and being there.

But, USF is the weak school in the region. It is ahead of Golden Gate, but has to compete with Cal, Stanford, Hastings, Davis, Santa Clara, and the T14.

I dont like the advice "just dont go to law school because you aren't T14." You have to consider your situation.

I would shoot for Santa Clara with your numbers.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Shot at U San Fran

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:07 pm

jarofsoup wrote:

The 60k thing is not very accurate. Solo practices can bring in more than this easily. I know a handful of lawyers that have their own practice and they can make well over 100k in the SF Bay Area.

Everyone that I know that goes to USF Law really likes the faculty, and being there.

But, USF is the weak school in the region. It is ahead of Golden Gate, but has to compete with Cal, Stanford, Hastings, Davis, Santa Clara, and the T14.

I dont like the advice "just dont go to law school because you aren't T14." You have to consider your situation.

I would shoot for Santa Clara with your numbers.


lol I wonder why you did bad on your LSAT.

"That number is wrong, because, well, I know one or two people who make more than that who has been working in the career field for a long time."

Look at the factual salary data listed on other threads you bozo.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Shot at U San Fran

Postby General Tso » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:14 pm

no need for name-calling Patriot...this guy is grossly misinformed but he has been fairly polite

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Shot at U San Fran

Postby bk1 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:15 pm

General Tso wrote:no need for name-calling Patriot...this guy is grossly misinformed but he has been fairly polite


Bozo is a downright compliment in terms of TLS and the internet as a whole.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1952
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Shot at U San Fran

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:36 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:

The 60k thing is not very accurate. Solo practices can bring in more than this easily. I know a handful of lawyers that have their own practice and they can make well over 100k in the SF Bay Area.

Everyone that I know that goes to USF Law really likes the faculty, and being there.

But, USF is the weak school in the region. It is ahead of Golden Gate, but has to compete with Cal, Stanford, Hastings, Davis, Santa Clara, and the T14.

I dont like the advice "just dont go to law school because you aren't T14." You have to consider your situation.

I would shoot for Santa Clara with your numbers.


lol I wonder why you did bad on your LSAT.

"That number is wrong, because, well, I know one or two people who make more than that who has been working in the career field for a long time."

Look at the factual salary data listed on other threads you bozo.


You are going to use my LSAT score to insult me and for evidence you site a flaw in my arguement that you are making yourself:

"That number is right because I read blog post written by people who I do not know are real that tell me that they are making certain salaries."

I did not sleep before the LSAT, and screwed up the Logic Games. That is why I scored badly. Don't assume that people score poorly on the LSAT because they don't understand the material or are not smart.

You are saying that starting salary out of USF is low, and I am saying that you can still make a living as a USF grad.

I have looked at medium starting salaries from USF which is 80k. 80K is low compared to other schools.

Don't take it so seriously, and get yourself all worked up, and call people names. Just relax..its Friday.

I do not want to go to USF and I know it is not a fantastic school compared to the other schools. I am just saying that you can go to USF and have a career.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Shot at U San Fran

Postby bk1 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:49 pm

jarofsoup wrote:You are going to use my LSAT score to insult me and for evidence you site a flaw in my arguement that you are making yourself:

"That number is right because I read blog post written by people who I do not know are real that tell me that they are making certain salaries."

I did not sleep before the LSAT, and screwed up the Logic Games. That is why I scored badly. Don't assume that people score poorly on the LSAT because they don't understand the material or are not smart.

You are saying that starting salary out of USF is low, and I am saying that you can still make a living as a USF grad.

I have looked at medium starting salaries from USF which is 80k. 80K is low compared to other schools.

Don't take it so seriously, and get yourself all worked up, and call people names. Just relax..its Friday.

I do not want to go to USF and I know it is not a fantastic school compared to the other schools. I am just saying that you can go to USF and have a career.


You think that half of USF students are going to make $80k or more?

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Shot at U San Fran

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:51 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:

The 60k thing is not very accurate. Solo practices can bring in more than this easily. I know a handful of lawyers that have their own practice and they can make well over 100k in the SF Bay Area.

Everyone that I know that goes to USF Law really likes the faculty, and being there.

But, USF is the weak school in the region. It is ahead of Golden Gate, but has to compete with Cal, Stanford, Hastings, Davis, Santa Clara, and the T14.

I dont like the advice "just dont go to law school because you aren't T14." You have to consider your situation.

I would shoot for Santa Clara with your numbers.


lol I wonder why you did bad on your LSAT.

"That number is wrong, because, well, I know one or two people who make more than that who has been working in the career field for a long time."

Look at the factual salary data listed on other threads you bozo.


You are going to use my LSAT score to insult me and for evidence you site a flaw in my arguement that you are making yourself:

"That number is right because I read blog post written by people who I do not know are real that tell me that they are making certain salaries."

I did not sleep before the LSAT, and screwed up the Logic Games. That is why I scored badly. Don't assume that people score poorly on the LSAT because they don't understand the material or are not smart.

You are saying that starting salary out of USF is low, and I am saying that you can still make a living as a USF grad.

I have looked at medium starting salaries from USF which is 80k. 80K is low compared to other schools.

Don't take it so seriously, and get yourself all worked up, and call people names. Just relax..its Friday.

I do not want to go to USF and I know it is not a fantastic school compared to the other schools. I am just saying that you can go to USF and have a career.

Ok, well we'll forego the LSAT remarks.

But, the flaw in your argument is still glaring. Also, you didn't seem to read my post because i'm not referring to other posts people have made, i'm referring to factual salary data that has been posted on other threads, which I clearly outlined. Lastly, the median salary of a new grad is not 80k. Sorry, it's not true. I looked for employment data on the San Francisco website and couldn't find any data. But even if they list that data, it is widely accepted that law schools lie and manipulate their data. Some schools have been known to even make up data.
Last edited by Patriot1208 on Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1952
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Shot at U San Fran

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:51 pm

bk1 wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:You are going to use my LSAT score to insult me and for evidence you site a flaw in my arguement that you are making yourself:

"That number is right because I read blog post written by people who I do not know are real that tell me that they are making certain salaries."

I did not sleep before the LSAT, and screwed up the Logic Games. That is why I scored badly. Don't assume that people score poorly on the LSAT because they don't understand the material or are not smart.

You are saying that starting salary out of USF is low, and I am saying that you can still make a living as a USF grad.

I have looked at medium starting salaries from USF which is 80k. 80K is low compared to other schools.

Don't take it so seriously, and get yourself all worked up, and call people names. Just relax..its Friday.

I do not want to go to USF and I know it is not a fantastic school compared to the other schools. I am just saying that you can go to USF and have a career.


You think that half of USF students are going to make $80k or more?


Starting no, but 5 to 10 years out. Yes. Law School only really determines the starting salary, but after that who the hell knows.

The person who started this site is not even a lawyer anymore. He brokers property, and does very well. Law School only takes you so far. If you are a good litigator and if you prove yourself to be a good attorney I am pretty sure you can make a fortune as a USF grad.

I am talking about having a career. Not the first year out of law school.

If you are 28 when you graduate law school you dont think you can be making over 80k by the time you are 38?

People from Golden Gate law even end up doing good things.
Last edited by jarofsoup on Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Shot at U San Fran

Postby Grizz » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:53 pm

jarofsoup wrote:You are going to use my LSAT score to insult me and for evidence you site a flaw in my arguement that you are making yourself:

"That number is right because I read blog post written by people who I do not know are real that tell me that they are making certain salaries."

I did not sleep before the LSAT, and screwed up the Logic Games. That is why I scored badly. Don't assume that people score poorly on the LSAT because they don't understand the material or are not smart.

You are saying that starting salary out of USF is low, and I am saying that you can still make a living as a USF grad.

I have looked at medium starting salaries from USF which is 80k. 80K is low compared to other schools.

Don't take it so seriously, and get yourself all worked up, and call people names. Just relax..its Friday.

I do not want to go to USF and I know it is not a fantastic school compared to the other schools. I am just saying that you can go to USF and have a career.


The word you're looking for is "median." And it's probably inflated do to those with higher incomes being more likely to report. I bet USF's response rate for their surveys is in the toilet.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Shot at U San Fran

Postby bk1 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:53 pm

jarofsoup wrote:Starting no, but 5 to 10 years out. Yes.


I meant starting. I wonder how long it takes those who are unemployed at graduation to find a job that requires a JD.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Shot at U San Fran

Postby kalvano » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:54 pm

Yikes.

--LinkRemoved--

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Shot at U San Fran

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:55 pm

rad law wrote:The word you're looking for is "median." And it's probably inflated do to those with higher incomes being more likely to report. I bet USF's response rate for their surveys is in the toilet.


According to the TLS profile they had 54% reporting in 2007, It's probably 30% now with that median of 80k.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Shot at U San Fran

Postby Grizz » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:55 pm

jarofsoup wrote:Starting no, but 5 to 10 years out. Yes.


Have fun trying to repay your loans when you making like $45k or even unemployed! Cool.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Shot at U San Fran

Postby kalvano » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:55 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
rad law wrote:The word you're looking for is "median." And it's probably inflated do to those with higher incomes being more likely to report. I bet USF's response rate for their surveys is in the toilet.


According to the TLS profile they had 54% reporting in 2007, It's probably 30% now with that median of 80k.



38.6%.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Shot at U San Fran

Postby bk1 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:57 pm

kalvano wrote:Yikes.

--LinkRemoved--


The new LST site is downright sexy!

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Shot at U San Fran

Postby Grizz » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:58 pm

kalvano wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
rad law wrote:The word you're looking for is "median." And it's probably inflated do to those with higher incomes being more likely to report. I bet USF's response rate for their surveys is in the toilet.


According to the TLS profile they had 54% reporting in 2007, It's probably 30% now with that median of 80k.



38.6%.


Hah that's atrocious.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1952
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Shot at U San Fran

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:00 pm

rad law wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:Starting no, but 5 to 10 years out. Yes.


Have fun trying to repay your loans when you making like $45k or even unemployed! Cool.


You may be unemployed too. You are out of T14, and some people on this website think that your education is not worth it.

I am not planning on going to USF man I am just saying that failure, just like success is not set in stone. You can be very screwed too.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Shot at U San Fran

Postby bk1 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:01 pm

jarofsoup wrote:You may be unemployed too. You are out of T14, and some people on this website think that your education is not worth it.

I am not planning on going to USF man I am just saying that failure, just like success is not set in stone. You can be very screwed too.


Facepalm. Because I am too lazy to google a pic.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1952
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Shot at U San Fran

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:04 pm

bk1 wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:You may be unemployed too. You are out of T14, and some people on this website think that your education is not worth it.

I am not planning on going to USF man I am just saying that failure, just like success is not set in stone. You can be very screwed too.


Facepalm. Because I am too lazy to google a pic.



I feel the same way. The regulars on this site can be fustrating.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Shot at U San Fran

Postby General Tso » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:09 pm

kalvano wrote:Yikes.

--LinkRemoved--


that site is nice

partially confirms my suspicions about the accuracy of UC Davis' employment stats. They are 25th percentile in salary reporting, while Hastings is 75th percentile. No other T30 school comes close to a figure that low.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1952
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Shot at U San Fran

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:12 pm

General Tso wrote:
kalvano wrote:Yikes.

--LinkRemoved--


that site is nice

partially confirms my suspicions about the accuracy of UC Davis' employment stats. They are 25th percentile in salary reporting, while Hastings is 75th percentile. No other T30 school comes close to a figure that low.


What about ASU 0% unemployment reported? That doesn't seem right at all.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Shot at U San Fran

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:27 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
bk1 wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:You may be unemployed too. You are out of T14, and some people on this website think that your education is not worth it.

I am not planning on going to USF man I am just saying that failure, just like success is not set in stone. You can be very screwed too.


Facepalm. Because I am too lazy to google a pic.



I feel the same way. The regulars on this site can be fustrating.


Did it go over your head that he was making fun of you?




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests