163/169 and 3.87-T14 chances? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
randomperson

New

163/169 and 3.87-T14 chances?

Post by randomperson » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:13 pm

I've taken the LSAT twice....I got a 163 then a 169. My GPA is 3.87

What are my chances at t-14 or t-17/18 schools? I have strong softs and very good LOR.

I'm aiming for these:

UPenn
Michigan
Virginia
Duke
Northwestern (I don't have WE, but a substantive summer internship with a US security/intelligence agency)
Gtown
Vandy
Emory

Any other schools I should be applying for? Anything else you need to know?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by randomperson on Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lennonist

Bronze

Re: 2 LSATS and strong GPA

Post by lennonist » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:16 pm

randomperson wrote:I've taken the LSAT twice....I got a 163 then a 169. My GPA is 3.87

What are my chances at t-14 or t-17/18 schools? I have strong softs and very good LOR.

I'm aiming for these:

UPenn
Michigan
Virginia
Duke
Northwestern (I don't have WE, but a substantive summer internship with a US security/intelligence agency)
Gtown
Vandy
Emory

Any other schools I should be applying for? Anything else you need to know?

Thanks in advance!
Have you researched which of the schools above average your LSAT as of this application cycle? That may affect your admission.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:39 pm

Definitely out of Northwestern.
Probably for sure WL or Out at Penn, Virginia, Gtown.
Michigan and Duke you have a good shot if they don't average (I don't know).
In at Vandy and Emory (you don't want to go to Emory).

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:47 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Definitely out of Northwestern.
Nope. 3.87 likely gets OP in at UVA w/ ED. OP's above the GPA median for all of these schools, so there's a chance at any of the T14s except NU. Check LSN for best results. Probably 90+% odds at Vandy on down. If you want a large scholarship (nearly a full ride) and wouldn't mind ending up in the Midwest apply to UIUC and WUSTL. Also, apply to CCN; it's worth a shot. People with your numbers can supposedly get into one of those once in a while. Berkeley is another good target if you don't mind the West Coast.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:48 pm

stratocophic wrote:
Nope. 3.87 likely gets OP in at UVA w/ ED. OP's above the GPA median for all of these schools, so there's a chance at any of the T14s except NU. Check LSN for best results. Probably 90+% odds at Vandy on down. If you want a large scholarship (nearly a full ride) and wouldn't mind ending up in the Midwest apply to UIUC and WUSTL. Also, apply to CCN; it's worth a shot. People with your numbers can supposedly get into one of those once in a while. Berkeley is another good target if you don't mind the West Coast.
I was assuming non ed. And you may want to take your own advice, because according to LSN, what I posted was right if we assume non-ED.

And the above is assuming schools are disregarding the 163. None of us know really how this works so it could even be worse.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

im_blue

Gold

Re: 163/169 and 3.87-T14 chances?

Post by im_blue » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:52 pm

UPenn - chance
Michigan - in, with a good chance at $45k
Virginia - chance
Duke - in, with a chance at money
Northwestern - out
Gtown - in

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:30 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
I was assuming non ed. And you may want to take your own advice, because according to LSN, what I posted was right if we assume non-ED.

And the above is assuming schools are disregarding the 163. None of us know really how this works so it could even be worse.
Not if OP doesn't apply late in the cycle, it isn't. People with my numbers, worse softs, worse undergrads, worse majors were generally in at T14s if they applied before December. Not "for sure" WL/out, not if OP applies within the next month. Check LSN for people with identical numbers who applied early vs. applied late and examine the results. Last year's splitters at UVA is a good place to start in comparing the difference, OP.

username99

Bronze

Post by username99 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:36 am

2 questions. First, isn't it pretty established that schools take the higher one? Also, as someone who is applying to Emory, I'd be very curious to hear some more info about "you don't want to go to Emory."

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:42 am

username99 wrote:2 questions. First, isn't it pretty established that schools take the higher one? Also, as someone who is applying to Emory, I'd be very curious to hear some more info about "you don't want to go to Emory."
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=200

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/07/emory-la ... bovethelaw+(Above+the+Law

Read throught that thread. Emory = recruiting similar to a school ranked MUCH MUCH lower.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:43 am

username99 wrote:2 questions. First, isn't it pretty established that schools take the higher one? Also, as someone who is applying to Emory, I'd be very curious to hear some more info about "you don't want to go to Emory."
Some schools are very open/official about taking your highest score (like Penn).

username99

Bronze

Post by username99 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:15 pm

Wow, Patriot, thanks for those posts. Holy shit. If I'm accepted, I'm going to ask the school what the F they're doing to fix that. Surely every prospective student who has seen that is terrified of going there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”