ED Worth it?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mst

ED Worth it?

Postby mst » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:04 am

So I've been thinking it over heavily and I'm leaning pretty hard towards EDing to NYU with a 172/3.6. I'm going to visit the school within the next two weeks before I do so, but is this a good idea? My logic is that I probably can't get in regardless to Columbia, I like NYU more than Chicago (not a big fan of their academic schedule), and my GPA is low enough I'm probably not throwing any money away at the rest of the t14. I like CCN the most because of employment prospects as well.

For some reference, I'm straight out of UG (Top 50) w/ very decent involvement softs, but limited W/E. Not URM. Personal Statement is still not great (Will probably be in a "B" status by submission time in 2 weeks).

Basically:

*Am I using my ED on a school I cant get into? Could it be better used in your opinion at MVP?
*Am I throwing away decent (15-20k a year) money at another T14?
*If I do ED at NYU, what are my chances? It's hard to tell with LSN.
*I'm an economics major, will this have a positive impact at Chicago enough that I should ED there?

absolutazn87

Re: ED Worth it?

Postby absolutazn87 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:00 pm

NYU historically hasn't put much emphasis on ED. EDing there won't help you as much as it would at Chicago or schools that might yield protect more like Penn or to a lesser extent Michigan. You may still get in, it's a toss up since you're around median for LSAT and slightly above NYU's 25% for GPA, but EDing may not be what makes the difference.

As far as $ in the lower T14 goes, you may have a shot at $ from Michigan, Duke, Cornell. But with your GPA, Penn almost definitely won't give you $ (LSN shows Penn gives $ to those with much higher GPAs).

Do you want to practice in NYC? Do you have an idea of what field?

mst

Postby mst » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:23 pm

Honestly, I'm just aiming for big law in either DC/SF/Chi/NY/Boston. I want a school that's going to give me the opportunity to extend outside of that city if I decide I want to be somewhere else in 3 years. Other than that, I can't say much. NYU seemed like the best bet with my numbers for national employment...

absolutazn87

Postby absolutazn87 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:48 pm

mst wrote:Honestly, I'm just aiming for big law in either DC/SF/Chi/NY/Boston. I want a school that's going to give me the opportunity to extend outside of that city if I decide I want to be somewhere else in 3 years. Other than that, I can't say much. NYU seemed like the best bet with my numbers for national employment...

Just be sure you can take NYC's high COL = massive debt if you ED

Return to “What are my chances?”