Yale Law School

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
perspective

Yale Law School

Postby perspective » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:47 pm

I was not considering applying to Yale because I felt that it was an outrageous stretch. Recently however, I feel that it might be worth it. I have two professors (both Yale PHDs) who are willing to write me a Yale specific Letter of Recommendation.

Thoughts on how that would effect my chances at Yale?

dissonance1848

Re: Yale Law School

Postby dissonance1848 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:52 pm

Those two LORs won't do much. With a 3.9 and a 174, you have some chance based on the numbers. If your softs are hot (Nobel Prize, cured cancer, wrote best selling book, etc.), then I'd say you have good shot. Otherwise, crap shoot. Yale doesn't have rolling admissions, but still, if you are mainly numbers, you would need to apply early (meaning now or a month ago preferably).

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:58 pm

Might as well try, it's definitely worth the chance.

The Real Jack McCoy

Postby The Real Jack McCoy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:13 pm

The Yaleness of your letter writers won't matter nearly as much as what the letters actually say about you as a human being and student. If the faculty who review your file or Dean Asha know the letter writers, though, they might be more inclined to trust the substance of their thoughts.

perspective

Postby perspective » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:46 pm

Thanks for the thoughts. I think with my limited funds the crapshoot isn't worthwhile with my strong, but not stellar, softs.

Thanks for the input!

DearCan

Postby DearCan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:51 pm

perspective wrote:Thanks for the thoughts. I think with my limited funds the crapshoot isn't worthwhile with my strong, but not stellar, softs.

Thanks for the input!

You could consider asking other schools you're applying to for merit based fee waivers, and then use the funds you save on your Yale application. :)

mst

Postby mst » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:51 am

Go for it. Your numbers are not auto rejects by any means, and Yale specific letters could help as long as they entail some kind of testament to how you would fare in the Yale LAW academic environment (this assumes the professors demonstrate some knowledge of the program, as well as how you compare to other students they have recommended for Yale Law School).

What's the loss? 100 dollars or so? For an OK/"eh" shot at the best law school in the country/job security for life? Just don't go out to eat a few times next month...

DearCan

Postby DearCan » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:05 am

mst wrote:Go for it. Your numbers are not auto rejects by any means, and Yale specific letters could help as long as they entail some kind of testament to how you would fare in the Yale LAW academic environment (this assumes the professors demonstrate some knowledge of the program, as well as how you compare to other students they have recommended for Yale Law School).

What's the loss? 100 dollars or so? For an OK/"eh" shot at the best law school in the country/job security for life? Just don't go out to eat a few times next month...

Bold made me lol. I just imagine someone holding down the shift key with extreme determination written all over their face.

Regardless, my drunken opinion coincides with mst's. You've got great numbers. I would probably stand on a corner naked for a day (if not more) to have your GPA. The money you save by NOT applying is negligible in comparison to the money you could make in the future if you get in. Flaunt yo' shit babay.

Return to “What are my chances?”