General Question: In-State Affecting Chance?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
gambelda

General Question: In-State Affecting Chance?

Postby gambelda » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:51 pm

Does being considered an in-state student negatively affect your application to a school? Under the assumption that they are looking for a very diverse background and do not want a bunch of localized students.

The reason that I ask this is because I can easily argue for in-state residence in 2 states that both contain different schools I am interested in. Wondering which residency strategy I should adopt...

sundance95

Re: General Question: In-State Affecting Chance?

Postby sundance95 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:52 pm

Quite the opposite. It generally helps, especially with certain schools such as UVA and UNC.

gambelda

Postby gambelda » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:55 pm

Very cool. That's good to hear because I can easily make a case for both Michigan and Virginia residency.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:00 pm

According to their website, Michigan reserves about 20% of its class for in-staters, whereas Virginia reserves about 40%. So, if all you care about is going to a T14, you'll get a bigger advantage with UVA as an in-state applicant.

gmtelon

Postby gmtelon » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:20 pm

Yeah, everything I've read is that being an in-state resident will help your chances considerably at that state's public schools. Whether it is a plus or a minus for private schools within that state, I am not sure.

Postby 2014 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:43 pm

I think it is a process to get Virginia residency, it's something I'm going to look into soon. So if you are considering that you might want to get on it.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:44 pm

gambelda wrote:Very cool. That's good to hear because I can easily make a case for both Michigan and Virginia residency.

Something seems funny here.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:51 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
gambelda wrote:Very cool. That's good to hear because I can easily make a case for both Michigan and Virginia residency.

Tehehe.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:16 pm

vanwinkle wrote:

It's possible. If one's parents are divorced and the mother is a Michigan resident and the father is a Virginia resident, it would be fairly simple to tailor your residency forms to gain residency for either.

My impression of Virginia's residency process is that the office wants to declare you a resident if they can.

Postby 2014 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:04 am

sundance95 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

It's possible. If one's parents are divorced and the mother is a Michigan resident and the father is a Virginia resident, it would be fairly simple to tailor your residency forms to gain residency for either.

My impression of Virginia's residency process is that the office wants to declare you a resident if they can.

Any idea how long you have to be in Virginia for them to let you? I'm pretty well shooting myself at this point for not getting myself off my parents taxes sooner.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:17 am

2014 wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

Any idea how long you have to be in Virginia for them to let you? I'm pretty well shooting myself at this point for not getting myself off my parents taxes sooner.

Your parents, your spouse, or you have to live in VA for 12 continuous months before the first day of classes (August 24, 2011), "demonstrated by, among other things, paying resident taxes to Virginia, obtaining a Virginia driver's license, car & voter registrations."
http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/prospectives/va.htm

tenpenny3

Postby tenpenny3 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:39 pm

if you graduated high school from somewhere other than michigan, good luck, you must work a full time job that is not normally held by a student, for a minimum of one year and not be enrolled in school.

or

one of your parents must be employed in a full time job AND show that you and your parent have severed all out of state ties.

http://ro.umich.edu/resreg.php

they will get that out-of-state money.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:55 pm

What about Berkeley and UCLA???? Is there an in-state advantage for California residents?

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:05 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:What about Berkeley and UCLA???? Is there an in-state advantage for California residents?

Their official policy is to not give any in-state advantage.

Return to “What are my chances?”