GPA ~3.7, LSAT 170 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
smscat

New

GPA ~3.7, LSAT 170

Post by smscat » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:02 pm

Hi,

I'm new to the board and really need to get on top of the application process.

I hover around a 3.6, 3.7 at BU. I have a 170 LSAT. I'm earning 2 degrees, BofA in Poli Sci, BofS in Com. I'm a pretty good personal statement writer. I didn't do any volunteer work, but I worked as an SAT tutor for one year, and I've worked nearly 2 years at a law office where I've done a lot of interesting media projects and written some articles. My recs are going to be from my boss, and one or 2 professors who are pretty distinguished.

I'm applying to Harvard, Yale, U of Virginia, UCLA, UC Berkeley, USC, Stanford, BC, BU, Suffolk, Columbia, NYU, and Cornell, I think. Do I have a good shot at getting in at least a couple of places?

Also, how important is it to get your stuff in by Nov. 1st, as my advisor suggested?

Thanks!

trudat15

Silver

Re: GPA ~3.7, LSAT 170

Post by trudat15 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:11 pm

smscat wrote:Hi,

I hover around a 3.6, 3.7 at BU. I have a 170 LSAT. I'm earning 2 degrees, BofA in Poli Sci, BofS in Com. I'm a pretty good personal statement writer. I didn't do any volunteer work, but I worked as an SAT tutor for one year, and I've worked nearly 2 years at a law office where I've done a lot of interesting media projects and written some articles. My recs are going to be from my boss, and one or 2 professors who are pretty distinguished.

I'm applying to Harvard, Yale, U of Virginia, UCLA, UC Berkeley, USC, Stanford, BC, BU, Suffolk, Columbia, NYU, and Cornell, I think. Do I have a good shot at getting in at least a couple of places?

Also, how important is it to get your stuff in by Nov. 1st, as my advisor suggested?

Would imagine in at UCLA/USC/BC/BU/Suffolk. The rest are up in the air or WL (HYS are out).
Make sure to keep your gpa up as high as you can get it.

Thanks!

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:16 pm

Thanks!
HYSCCN-out
MVP-Shot, but only if you ED
the rest you will probably be admitted

smscat

New

Post by smscat » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:21 pm

jt1341 wrote:

Thanks!
HYSCCN-out
I'm unfamiliar with the acronyms lol...is there a guide somewhere?

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:29 pm

smscat wrote:
jt1341 wrote:

Thanks!
HYSCCN-out
I'm unfamiliar with the acronyms lol...is there a guide somewhere?
Yup.

To get you started:
HYS = Harvard, Yale, and Stanford.
CCN = Columbia, UChicago, and NYU.
MVP = Michigan, Virginia, and UPenn.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:31 pm

HYS = Harvard, Yale, and Stanford.

Harvard: Out
Yale: Out
Stanford: Out

CCN = Columbia, Chicago, NYU

Columbia: Out
Chicago: Out
NYU: Out

MVP = Michigan, Virginia, and Penn

Applying RD I think you have a decent shot for an admit at at least one out of MVP; if you apply regular just do it asap. If you ED to Virginia or Michigan you will significantly increase your chances of admission.

You have very good chances at USC and Cornell. likely admit with some $.

smscat

New

Post by smscat » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:37 pm

buckilaw wrote:HYS = Harvard, Yale, and Stanford.

Harvard: Out
Yale: Out
Stanford: Out

CCN = Columbia, Chicago, NYU

Columbia: Out
Chicago: Out
NYU: Out

MVP = Michigan, Virginia, and Penn

Applying RD I think you have a decent shot for an admit at at least one out of MVP; if you apply regular just do it asap. If you ED to Virginia or Michigan you will significantly increase your chances of admission.

You have very good chances at USC and Cornell. likely admit with some $.

Thanks for the explanations/responses. So you think I should not bother with HYS...or should I just take the chance and hope I luck out.

CGI Fridays

Silver

Post by CGI Fridays » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:43 pm

Applying this cycle?
If so, EDing now to Virginia is basically a lock. Not sure about Michigan or Penn though.
Agree with those who've said you're out at the Top 6.
Cornell is highly probable but the small class size can make things fickle. Buckilaw, do you know people who have gotten schollies with those numbers at cornell?

CGI Fridays

Silver

Post by CGI Fridays » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:46 pm

smscat wrote:Thanks for the explanations/responses. So you think I should not bother with HYS...or should I just take the chance and hope I luck out.
Don't bother with the top 6. Possible exceptions:
1) You have fee waivers for them
2) You have solid legacy (parent(s) attended)
3) I'll let someone else address the URM potential at CCN, i dunno.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

smscat

New

Post by smscat » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:46 pm

What schools do you think may give me any money? And do you think going to one that is not quite as good (but still one of the above listed) but gives me money is a wise choice, or should I go for the top one I get into at all costs? I feel like every one I'm applying to minus Suffolk is really good overall even if its not HYS...am I right?

CGI Fridays

Silver

Post by CGI Fridays » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:52 pm

smscat wrote:What schools do you think may give me any money?
Your best tool for guessing at the answer: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/
smscat wrote:And do you think going to one that is not quite as good (but still one of the above listed) but gives me money is a wise choice, or should I go for the top one I get into at all costs? I feel like every one I'm applying to minus Suffolk is really good overall even if its not HYS...am I right?
... ... ... Huge questions. You'll get different answers for different reasons. There's probably a thread or seven on here that touch on these.

CGI Fridays

Silver

Post by CGI Fridays » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:53 pm

Are you an under-represented minority?

vicuna

Bronze

Post by vicuna » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:25 pm

Your exact LSAC GPA would help precisely determine your chances. A 3.61 is a lot different than, say, a 3.73. With the former, probably your only shot at Michigan, Virginia, or Penn would be through ED. With the latter, your chances at those three schools are pretty good RD and you may be looking at a small scholarship, as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

smscat

New

Post by smscat » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:17 pm

No, I'm not a minority. What's a LSAC GPA? Do you mean my more specific GPA...right now it's a 3.67...it could go up or down depending on how my classes go.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:20 pm

smscat wrote:No, I'm not a minority. What's a LSAC GPA? Do you mean my more specific GPA...right now it's a 3.67...it could go up or down depending on how my classes go.
LSAC (law school admissions council) is how you apply to law schools. And they calculate GPA's slightly different than most universities. Let's say you got a C and retook a class and got an A. Your university would wipe that C off the transcript but LSAC would calculate both of them. Also, an A+ is equal to 4.33. There are other things as well. A lot of peoples LSAC GPA is slightly lower than there university given GPA. Try to get a 3.7. A 3.7 170 puts you at somewhere around Virginia, Michigan, Penn, Duke, etc. And yes, Harvard, Yale, and Stanford are a waste of money and Columbia, Chicago, and NYU are probably the same.

CGI Fridays

Silver

Post by CGI Fridays » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:01 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
smscat wrote:What's a LSAC GPA?
There are other things as well.
One example: Any college-level classes that you may have taken in high school, if you got a grade from a college, are counted, even though they may not have been counted as anything other than credits at BU.

smscat

New

Post by smscat » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:12 pm

Thanks for all the info, guys. I do know what the LSAC is, I just didn't know about the different GPA. So they calculate it using my transcript, right? I have to give that to them, first. Do other schools give out A+s, because BU does not, so I definitely won't be getting any 4.33s. I didn't retake any classes or anything, I did withdraw from one but that shouldn't count. I have a few extra credits from APs - 4s and 5s.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CGI Fridays

Silver

Post by CGI Fridays » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:17 pm

AP's don't count, last I heard (don't quote me on this).
Yes, some schools offer A+'s and some don't. Yes, it's bullshit if you're in our position of not having that opportunity while others do.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:22 pm

For the love of the God's do not ED.

You got a good shot at money at MVP.

lennonist

Bronze

Post by lennonist » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:55 pm

smscat wrote:Thanks for all the info, guys. I do know what the LSAC is, I just didn't know about the different GPA. So they calculate it using my transcript, right? I have to give that to them, first. Do other schools give out A+s, because BU does not, so I definitely won't be getting any 4.33s. I didn't retake any classes or anything, I did withdraw from one but that shouldn't count. I have a few extra credits from APs - 4s and 5s.
APs don't count. however, if you've taken courses outside BU - like a community college (even in HS) that are reflected on your undergraduate transcript, the LSAC will make you send them a transcript from that particular community college. (happened to me :(

When the LSAC calculates one's GPA, it does award more points to A+. For all intents and purposes of admission (as well as TLS discussion), your LSAC GPA is what matters.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”