Chance me?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
boeh

Chance me?

Postby boeh » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:47 pm

Hi
Been lurking for awhile, and now I am curious about my my chances. I am not even sure if I should apply anymore, but FWIW I have a 171 LSAT, and around a 2.2~7 uGPA (haven't done the official LSAC calculation yet, but I assume it will be in that range). Standard sob story about the GPA, (heavy, high-level class load, family problems, illness), but from what I've read, the addendum doesn't really make up for that. Major was biology, at an Ivy, although I am not sure if either of those will help at all. I also had a couple of MIP's from UG, but I am not sure how bad that will hurt me. Obviously no trouble in the past 10 years.

I have 7+ years corporate WE, mostly overseas. I am not sure what else I would (or could) have in terms of softs (Not URM). LOR's from UG might be a problem as I have been out of school for a long time, although I might be able to get one decent one from UG, and I can get an extremely good one from my former boss, and if absolutely needed, my current boss. I have a pretty decent salary, and I don't want to make it seem like I am leaving until I am 100% sure.

Also, I am reasonably sure that I could score higher on the LSAT. I was PT'ing around 177, but i screwed up one of the logic games and that sunk me. Should I bother to retake?

What realistically are my options? I don't care about t14(already did that in UG), but if it is at all possible, I'd like to avoid going to 3t/4t. Preferably something less expensive, or at least with $. Any ideas? Thanks!
-Boeh

whymeohgodno

Re: Chance me?

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:59 pm

2.2? ....

Anyways you might have a shot at NU since you have a LOT of WE and a decently high LSAT.

Retaking might be worth it if you are aiming for higher schools or $$$

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:08 pm

You have a job with a decent salary, i have to ask, why LS?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:10 pm

Where do you want to live & practice law ?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:22 pm

A 2.2/171 actually got into NU via ED this year.

sporkdevil

Postby sporkdevil » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:16 pm

Desert Fox wrote:A 2.2/171 actually got into NU via ED this year.

Sounds about right. I would ED it somewhere. You just about as big of a splitter as possible. I would check LSN's (is that still up?) to find a place that take splitters in your way. It really depends on what the school needs.

However, with that 7 years of (mostly) overseas work experience helps gloss over your shitty GPA. No, it's not because you have grown like a flower (sorry others with shitty GPA's who think you can addendum up to Yale), but because you are a non-trad student who has some things they can brag about.

Honestly, your LSAT score is so dirty awesome I would apply just about anywhere you want to go. You have no guarantees, but you have very few certain "no" responses. I'd apply outside of the top 3 just to see what happens.

boeh

Postby boeh » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:22 am

naterj wrote:You have a job with a decent salary, i have to ask, why LS?

I am looking to move back to the US, but I don't feel like jumping back into the job market while it's so bad.

boeh

Postby boeh » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:37 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Where do you want to live & practice law ?

I don't care so much about where I live, as long as it isn't too humid.

boeh

Postby boeh » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:24 am

Hi
This might sound crazy, but I am not exactly even sure I want to practice law. I definitely did when I was younger, but now I am not sure that lifestyle would be all that appealing. I think (hope) that the degree would be good for my job prospects/professionally, but I guess I would temper that with the fact that I hear some JDs are leaving it off of their resumes when applying for jobs. Does anyone have any thoughts on/experience with that? Are there any (intentional) non-lawyer JDs? Am I better off just taking the GMAT? or GRE?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:08 am

boeh wrote:

Hi
This might sound crazy, but I am not exactly even sure I want to practice law. I definitely did when I was younger, but now I am not sure that lifestyle would be all that appealing. I think (hope) that the degree would be good for my job prospects/professionally, but I guess I would temper that with the fact that I hear some JDs are leaving it off of their resumes when applying for jobs. Does anyone have any thoughts on/experience with that? Are there any (intentional) non-lawyer JDs? Am I better off just taking the GMAT? or GRE?

Don't do it if you don't want to be a lawyer.

Return to “What are my chances?”