EDing without an LSAT

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ballents

EDing without an LSAT

Postby ballents » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:53 pm

Last edited by ballents on Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Re: EDing without an LSAT

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:57 pm

Just wait to hit submit until you actually get your LSAT score.

If you want to work in the northeast, don't limit yourself to schools in the northeast. A lower 170's and you have a chance at the lower T14 (MVP), high 170's and you can maybe have a shot at CCN with an ED.

Your college doesn't matter and raising your GPA that much won't matter.

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:00 pm

ballents wrote:So I know no one likes to do this but here we go. I want to apply to a school in the northeast and I have a 3.28 from swarthmore (don't know exactly how much this helps) but I'm taking the October LSAT and have to send in my ED application before I get my score back. Right now I'm averaging a 176, but I know how little this means as I was averaging a 176 before the June test and I canceled. My PTs are pretty consistent but I wouldn't be shocked by anything between a 172 and 179.

For what it's worth I have pretty average softs. What is the best school I can get into in the northeast and where do you think I should ED?

Also, I still have a couple classes that I'm finishing up this year and could theoretically raise my GPA to a 3.35ish. Would it make any difference to apply next year with this slightly better gpa?

Thanks for any replies that aren't "come back when you have your real LSAT score."

Q: How much do you regret going to Swarthmore knowing now that UG doesn't matter? (Disclosure: I ask this as someone who went to an elite LAC myself, who wishes he had gone to BIG STATE U for free and gotten a 4.0).

Postby 09042014 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:06 pm

It think Penn would take you ED with a 171+. Maybe even a 170. NYU might take you, but you are going to need a higher LSAT. 172 would be the bare minimum to have any shot, I don't think you have a halfway decent shot until 175.

Columbia is probably a ding no matter what. Maybe they'll like your ugrad, so it's worth an app, but I'm not sure if I'd waste an ED app on it.

You absolutely do not need to apply ED before your LSAT score comes back. The deadlines are set to allow Oct LSATers to still apply.

ballents

Postby ballents » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:16 pm

Yeah, it hurts to say that I made a mistake by attending the college that I did, but, yes, it was almost definitely a mistake.

Thanks for the info about EDing, I was definitely confused about that and am relieved to hear I don't have to guess an LSAT score. Also, NYU is definitely my top choice. When you say a "halfway decent shot," is that a good enough shot to use my ED on if it's somewhere I really want to go? I'm kind of worried about wasting my ED and being left out of all the schools I want to go to--it seems splitter cycles can leave you out in the cold.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:19 pm

ballents wrote:Yeah, it hurts to say that I made a mistake by attending the college that I did, but, yes, it was almost definitely a mistake.

Thanks for the info about EDing, I was definitely confused about that and am relieved to hear I don't have to guess an LSAT score. Also, NYU is definitely my top choice. When you say a "halfway decent shot," is that a good enough shot to use my ED on if it's somewhere I really want to go? I'm kind of worried about wasting my ED and being left out of all the schools I want to go to--it seems splitter cycles can leave you out in the cold.

It is a definite possibility but with a 170+ I am fairly sure at least one of the lower T14 will bit. The way I see it is that you are choosing between picking which lower T14 you want or instead getting a random T14 with a better shot at a T6.

ballents

Postby ballents » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:24 pm

bk1 wrote:
ballents wrote:Yeah, it hurts to say that I made a mistake by attending the college that I did, but, yes, it was almost definitely a mistake.

It is a definite possibility but with a 170+ I am fairly sure at least one of the lower T14 will bit. The way I see it is that you are choosing between picking which lower T14 you want or instead getting a random T14 with a better shot at a T6.

Ok, thanks. When you put it that way it seems like a pretty obvious choice.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:26 pm

ballents wrote:Ok, thanks. When you put it that way it seems like a pretty obvious choice.

Agreed, but it doesn't make it any less agonizing. :)

Postby 09042014 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:26 pm

If I were you I'd ED to NYU, I think they'll take you if you ED. And they might not if you don't ED. In which case you might be attending Cornell or worse Gulc.

I wouldn't regret Swarthmore. It's great for your resume, and it won't hurt you that bad. You'd need 3.8 at a good public school to get YHS, and probably 3.9 from a shit public. And to be honest a median Swarthmore grad like you, probably won't get 3.8 at a good public, or 3.9 at a shit public.

So if you get NYU, it won't really have cost you anything, other than tuition. Hopefully you didn't go into debt.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:29 pm

ballents wrote:I have a 3.28 from swarthmore

Desert Fox wrote:And to be honest a median Swarthmore grad like you, probably won't get 3.8 at a good public, or 3.9 at a shit public.

Swarthmore's average GPA is a 3.53 (higher than many Ivies), so OP's GPA is significantly below median.

--LinkRemoved--

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:34 pm

Why did you cancel your June test ?

ballents

Postby ballents » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:32 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Why did you cancel your June test ?

I had a problem with a logic game. I think I misunderstood the language but it left me flustered and unable to complete the section in time. I actually felt pretty good about the test other than that but figured I'd be better off giving it another try as that was one of my worst performances.

ballents

Postby ballents » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:52 pm

Last edited by ballents on Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:58 pm

ballents wrote:
im_blue wrote:

Desert Fox wrote:And to be honest a median Swarthmore grad like you, probably won't get 3.8 at a good public, or 3.9 at a shit public.

Swarthmore's average GPA is a 3.53 (higher than many Ivies), so OP's GPA is significantly below median.

--LinkRemoved--

Ok, so this is a little weird but I went to Reed not Swarthmore. I just said swarthmore because they seemed like roughly equivalent and I wasn't sure many of you guys would know Reed--it seems like we get a lot of respect from other colleges and universities but we aren't that widely known. However, Reed and Swarthmore don't seem as similar as I thought. Swarthmore is more highly ranked and probably more respected but Reed has no grade inflation at all; our average gpa is a 3.14.

I've also seen people freaking out about anonymity, but now that I think about it I can't imagine what the harm of someone figuring out my identity is. Now I just feel weird about lying seemingly for no reason but I figure good advice is more important than awkward internet exchanges.

Sorry about that. If this changes anything (besides making me look weird) let me know.

Yeah, that definitely changes things. Reed is well-known in academic circles for its grade deflation (in fact I almost commented how Swarthmore is no Reed when it comes to low GPAs), so I would definitely write an addendum describing how you're actually above the median GPA there. Better yet, try to get your class rank or percentile from the dean's office and mention that as well.

I think Reed has the third highest percentage of graduates going to PhD programs, up there with Caltech, MIT, and Chicago, so grade inflation doesn't seem to be a detriment in that regard. Unfortunately for you, law school admissions is a completely different story.

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:19 pm

ballents wrote:
im_blue wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

Ok, so this is a little weird but I went to Reed not Swarthmore. I just said swarthmore because they seemed like roughly equivalent and I wasn't sure many of you guys would know Reed--it seems like we get a lot of respect from other colleges and universities but we aren't that widely known. However, Reed and Swarthmore don't seem as similar as I thought. Swarthmore is more highly ranked and probably more respected but Reed has no grade inflation at all; our average gpa is a 3.14.

I've also seen people freaking out about anonymity, but now that I think about it I can't imagine what the harm of someone figuring out my identity is. Now I just feel weird about lying seemingly for no reason but I figure good advice is more important than awkward internet exchanges.

Sorry about that. If this changes anything (besides making me look weird) let me know.

Swat is harder to get into than most Ivies.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:34 pm

jesus what is it with Reed alums being self-important

ballents

Postby ballents » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:29 am

IAFG wrote:jesus what is it with Reed alums being self-important

My bad, I really didn't mean to be annoying about this. I know Swarthmore is more selective than Reed and probably a better school. Wasn't trying to be a tool. No real explanation for hiding my real undergrad. I'm honestly a little confused about why I did. I'll I can say is that it seemed like a good idea at the time--I just don't know why.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:10 am

Last edited by KevinP on Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:26 pm

IAFG wrote:jesus what is it with Reed alums being self-important

If you paid 41,000 dollars a year for a Poli Sci degree from a school nobody heard of, then got beat in admissions by Iowa State grads, you'd be pissed.

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:32 pm

Whoever said a 3.28 vs. a 3.35 is no difference has no idea what they are talking about. OP, a difference of .07 GPA is worth about 1 LSAT point in the mid to high 170s. Take it. It means quite a bit. Also, prep more if you think it will raise your score. By applying next year, you could tack on a few more LSAT points (with higher GPA too).

Return to “What are my chances?”