Where should I apply? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
benezhou

New

Where should I apply?

Post by benezhou » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:48 pm

B.S in physics from China(GPA was 3.58, 3.78 in first 7 semesters but 1.5 last semester(because I have been accepted by notre dame and just was relaxed too much...)), I have my MS in physics and EE at Notre dame. Currently, I am a fourth-year graduate student with EE major at ND(GPA: 3.82) and I would expect have my Ph.D degrees in 2012 and then go the law school.
LSAT was 172.
I am very interested in IP laws and I have several publications and 1 patent also.

sporkdevil

New

Re: Where should I apply?

Post by sporkdevil » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:25 pm

benezhou wrote:B.S in physics from China(GPA was 3.58, 3.78 in first 7 semesters but 1.5 last semester(because I have been accepted by notre dame and just was relaxed too much...)), I have my MS in physics and EE at Notre dame. Currently, I am a fourth-year graduate student with EE major at ND(GPA: 3.82) and I would expect have my Ph.D degrees in 2012 and then go the law school.
LSAT was 172.
I am very interested in IP laws and I have several publications and 1 patent also.
Let's see. Pointer: I wouldn't pick your school based on a general pre-law interest, I would suggest one of the best schools you get accepted to that has some quality IP program (probably all of them have a good program).

You have a 3.58 and a 172, which is great, as well as a Ph.D and a MS. In your attempt to stay in school until you retire, you have a lot of options. You are a non-trad applicant, with some sort of experience in China, and a whole bunch of other degrees, with great numbers. I'd give Columbia on down a shot, and Harvard/Yale/Stanford as long-shots.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:15 am

sporkdevil wrote:
benezhou wrote:B.S in physics from China(GPA was 3.58, 3.78 in first 7 semesters but 1.5 last semester(because I have been accepted by notre dame and just was relaxed too much...)), I have my MS in physics and EE at Notre dame. Currently, I am a fourth-year graduate student with EE major at ND(GPA: 3.82) and I would expect have my Ph.D degrees in 2012 and then go the law school.
LSAT was 172.
Let's see. Pointer: I wouldn't pick your school based on a general pre-law interest, I would suggest one of the best schools you get accepted to that has some quality IP program (probably all of them have a good program).

You have a 3.58 and a 172, which is great, as well as a Ph.D and a MS. In your attempt to stay in school until you retire, you have a lot of options. You are a non-trad applicant, with some sort of experience in China, and a whole bunch of other degrees, with great numbers. I'd give Columbia on down a shot, and Harvard/Yale/Stanford as long-shots.
This is premature. But HYS is definitely out. But you will have a chance at Columbia on down. Although, i'm not sure why you want your Ph.D. as well. It's not going to help you in any way that the Masters won't. It's really a waste of time and money (if you are paying) if you plan on being a lawyer.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:11 pm

if you did your degree in china then lsac shouldn't have assigned you a GPA but a rating of "above average" "average" etc. . I think not having a GPA could possibly make HYS a chance since the only thing bringing down their medians will be that lsat

St.Remy

Silver

Post by St.Remy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:15 pm

FlanAl wrote:if you did your degree in china then lsac shouldn't have assigned you a GPA but a rating of "above average" "average" etc. . I think not having a GPA could possibly make HYS a chance since the only thing bringing down their medians will be that lsat
If this is the case it might slightly improve his chances at YS, but he would still have zero shot at Harvard.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:21 pm

St.Remy wrote:
FlanAl wrote:if you did your degree in china then lsac shouldn't have assigned you a GPA but a rating of "above average" "average" etc. . I think not having a GPA could possibly make HYS a chance since the only thing bringing down their medians will be that lsat
If this is the case it might slightly improve his chances at YS, but he would still have zero shot at Harvard.
HY both have 173 medians, so that means zero shot for OP. Stanford is more reasonable with a 170 median and an affinity for science/engineering degrees.

St.Remy

Silver

Post by St.Remy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:28 pm

im_blue wrote:
St.Remy wrote:
HY both have 173 medians, so that means zero shot for OP. Stanford is more reasonable with a 170 median and an affinity for science/engineering degrees.
But who really knows how Yale admissions works? They seem fine with accepting people with strange numbers if they have an interesting enough story, which the OP might. I agree that it's unlikely, but being below the LSAT median probably won't auto-kill the OP's application at Y like it would at H. A sub 3.6 GPA might though.

vstraight

New

Post by vstraight » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:47 am

St.Remy wrote:
im_blue wrote:
St.Remy wrote:
But who really knows how Yale admissions works? They seem fine with accepting people with strange numbers if they have an interesting enough story, which the OP might. I agree that it's unlikely, but being below the LSAT median probably won't auto-kill the OP's application at Y like it would at H. A sub 3.6 GPA might though.
Only way to get into Yale with numbers below medians is if you have some great connections or some INCREDIBLE softs or if you are a URM.

I don't think OP fits any.

helen82

New

Post by helen82 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:55 am

I think that with your well-knowledge in law, you can establish your private law office. You will feel free and manage yourself as your way.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”