URM AAFemale 3.4 T14 chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
gwuorbust

Re: URM AAFemale 3.4 T14 chances?

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:45 pm

And I have shown OP would be denied at Tulane... last time I check Tulane was ranked 48th and not quite on par with GWU or Gtown... but what do I know.

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:46 pm

PDaddy wrote:I will say that she claims to have been admitted to Harvard and other top schools. Someone who would melt down like that would not appear to have the intellect to get into, let alone surve the rigors of, such a school.

Yea bro because only people with advanced social graces are allowed into HLS.

pocket herc

Postby pocket herc » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:46 pm

Pdaddy, you are just having fun right? I mean, your online persona doesn't conform to your actual personality right?

As for op, she'll get into some fine schools but improving the LSAT score would put her in a much better position, make her much less susceptible to the whims of an admissions committee

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:46 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
cartercl wrote:
EDIT: I would like to change my advice to the OP:

Plz only apply to two schools. Nova and Barry.

Which one you should choose is a fierce matter of debate is a Q that has yet to be resolved. But it is possible that you will be biglaw secure coming from one of those schools.

Now you're just being a jerk. Even if T-14 is out (and I'm not sure that with a 3.4/159/160/AA it is) T-25 is definitely in OPs future with those numbers.

hey, like OP said believing that if you go to a TTTT your going to be doing doc review all day long is harsh... therefore, OP should take the schly to Nova.

Now OP might have to stay in the top 10% to keep the schly, but believing that OP wouldn't keep it would just be harsh. in fact, anything that doesn't meet the exact expectations of OP is harsh. shame on you real world!!

I know you...it's Rush!

LAWLAW09

Postby LAWLAW09 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:49 pm

PDaddy, do you plan on responding to my posts that were directed at you?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:49 pm

Indiana, Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, Alabama, Georgia, SMU, Wake Forest & about 20 other tier one law schools are reasonable target law schools for an URM with an LSAT score in the high 150s.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:51 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Indiana, Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, Alabama, Georgia, SMU, Wake Forest & about 20 other tier one law schools are reasonable target law schools for an URM with an LSAT score in the high 150s.

you show me a person going to one of those schools at sticker and I will show you a crazy person.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:51 pm

Who said that it would be sticker ? URM admissions is much different than non-URM admissions. Indiana, for example, awards grants (not loans) to approximately 77% of its law students. Illinois awards grants to 85% of its law students. Minnesota to 65% & has less than 3% black students which suggests to me that the OP's application would be very welcome. SMU awards grants to 96% of its law school students according to info. regarding 2009.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.

cartercl

Postby cartercl » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:53 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
cartercl wrote:
EDIT: I would like to change my advice to the OP:

Plz only apply to two schools. Nova and Barry.

Which one you should choose is a fierce matter of debate is a Q that has yet to be resolved. But it is possible that you will be biglaw secure coming from one of those schools.

Now you're just being a jerk. Even if T-14 is out (and I'm not sure that with a 3.4/159/160/AA it is) T-25 is definitely in OPs future with those numbers.

hey, like OP said believing that if you go to a TTTT your going to be doing doc review all day long is harsh... therefore, OP should take the schly to Nova.

Now OP might have to stay in the top 10% to keep the schly, but believing that OP wouldn't keep it would just be harsh. in fact, anything that doesn't meet the exact expectations of OP is harsh. shame on you real world!!

Oh my, someone's been watching a little too much Glenn Beck I see. Turn the volume on the sarcasm down a bit, huh?

pocket herc

Postby pocket herc » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:53 pm

Go to Tulane. Pretty sure urm w 157 would get a very healthy scholarship. And I suspect that would be the case at many higher ranked schools

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:54 pm

pocket herc wrote:Pdaddy, you are just having fun right? I mean, your online persona doesn't conform to your actual personality right?

As for op, she'll get into some fine schools but improving the LSAT score would put her in a much better position, make her much less susceptible to the whims of an admissions committee

I have never denied this, and state exactly that in my first post. Do not put words into my mouth? She is a viable candidate and should apply to some T14 schools. She has a chance. this is an undeniable fact. If she gets a 158, I will advise her to apply to every T14, provided that she can keep up the quality of her apps. Is she getting into all of them? No! Is she getting into half? No!

Could she get into two or three? Absolutely. Is it highly likely? No. But it certainly isn't unlikely enough that anyone should tell her not to apply. She has a legitimate shot. It has been done year in and year out by more than a few people.

You people just don't understand the statistics involved in URM applications. She is in the top-25% of all LSAT takers and top-5% of AA test takers. The adcoms are going to be interested, especially if her softs are what she claims they are. And a 3.4 GPA is very solid, more solid if her course load was tough. You don't know enough about OP to say she has little or no chance, but I know enough to reasnably make a "qualified statement" that T14 isn't out of the question.

I just think there is a major RC problem going on here. I know white students think it's ugly, but what i am saying is true. Her 158, if she acheives one, is like a white student's 168. I know you don't like it, but URM's have been locked out of the legal profession. A 3.4/158 will speak loud to top schools. And she will definitely get into a top-30.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:54 pm

OP could definitely get in to a T25, and probably with a scholly, but T14 is going to be tough.

That said, I am really appalled by the fact that PDaddy has not been banned from TLS yet. Even when he makes a legitimate point, he starts it out by making some judgmental, racist assumption about those who disagree with him (we're all just a bunch of jealous, backwards honkeys who don't think black people should have any opportunity). He is blatantly racist, horribly rude to other posters, and intentionally inflammatory.

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:55 pm

bk1 wrote:@spinozist: Seriously? No shit it's possible to get a job coming out of a TTT, but it is a fuckton harder and more unlikely than at a T14. Those schools open doors that others do not and that's a fact. If OP can get above a 160, the T14 is possible. It would be incredibly stupid and shortsighted to go somewhere else without a big scholarship rather than a T14.

I dont disagree with you. I just think that its getting to the point here where people are being way too negative of other schools and people who didnt/dont get 170. Its ridiculous...

cartercl

Postby cartercl » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:55 pm

gwuorbust wrote:And I have shown OP would be denied at Tulane... last time I check Tulane was ranked 48th and not quite on par with GWU or Gtown... but what do I know.

You have shown that OP would be denied at Tulane? How? By putting some numbers in an online calculator and assuming that it gives you an accurate prediction of where African-American males/females will get into law school at? Yeah, the problem with that is that your assumption is incorrect; it doesn't.

mfeller2

Postby mfeller2 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:56 pm

romothesavior wrote:OP could definitely get in to a T25, and probably with a scholly, but T14 is going to be tough.

That said, I am really appalled by the fact that PDaddy has not been banned from TLS yet. Even when he makes a legitimate point, he starts it out by making some judgmental, racist assumption about those who disagree with him (we're all just a bunch of jealous, backwards honkeys who don't think black people should have any opportunity). He is blatantly racist, horribly rude to other posters, and intentionally inflammatory.

Said like a true racist. :)

pocket herc

Postby pocket herc » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:58 pm

Agree w romo. I am just trying to accurately describe ops position. I wish her well and would not remotely resent her success. Pdaddy ur just wrong on that account

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:00 pm

Spinozist21 wrote:
bk1 wrote:@spinozist: Seriously? No shit it's possible to get a job coming out of a TTT, but it is a fuckton harder and more unlikely than at a T14. Those schools open doors that others do not and that's a fact. If OP can get above a 160, the T14 is possible. It would be incredibly stupid and shortsighted to go somewhere else without a big scholarship rather than a T14.

I dont disagree with you. I just think that its getting to the point here where people are being way too negative of other schools and people who didnt/dont get 170. Its ridiculous...

If you call paying six figures for a school where employment prospects are marginal then call me negative of those schools. I'm not trying to be negative of people, but each person should either go to the best school they can or the best scholarship they can. Not doing what you can to maximize that is just stupid.

@Romo: I'm calling you out you jealous, backwards honkey.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:04 pm

From what I know about T20s, OP likely has a shot at about a half scholarship. I know of a few AA males here at WUSTL with full rides with 162-164/low 3.0s. OP has a higher GPA but is looking at a lower LSAT.

A few general thoughts on this shitshow of a thread:

-Calculators or predictors are bad for URMs, so they are not good to rely on
-An AA 158 may be a white person's 168, but as a white guy with a 3.8/168, I can tell you that Duke and Georgetown are uphill battles
-We are all overreacting because OP hasn't even taken the real thing
-OP, focus on the LSAT and study HARD. Breaking 160 is going to open a LOT of doors to you, both in the form of better schools and bigger schollies. Good luck!
-PDaddy, you are such a complete and utter jackass in everything you do.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:04 pm

bk1 wrote:@Romo: I'm calling you out you jealous, backwards honkey.

Jealous that a white boy can have moves like me? :lol:

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:06 pm

romothesavior wrote:From what I know about T20s, OP likely has a shot at about a half scholarship. I know of a few AA males here at WUSTL with full rides with 162-164/low 3.0s. OP has a higher GPA but is looking at a lower LSAT.

A few general thoughts on this shitshow of a thread:

-Calculators or predictors are bad for URMs, so they are not good to rely on
-An AA 158 may be a white person's 168, but as a white guy with a 3.8/168, I can tell you that Duke and Georgetown are uphill battles
-We are all overreacting because OP hasn't even taken the real thing
-OP, focus on the LSAT and study HARD. Breaking 160 is going to open a LOT of doors to you, both in the form of better schools and bigger schollies. Good luck!
-PDaddy, you are such a complete and utter jackass in everything you do.

Romo I'm glad you got involved here cause I was about two posts away from meme flaming PDaddy and taking the 1 day ban.

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:06 pm

Spinozist21 wrote:

I dont disagree with you. I just think that its getting to the point here where people are way too quick to defend others who are prepared to shell out $150K for a legal education without any legal employment prospects. Its ridiculous...

Oh hey FTFY HTH

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:08 pm

bk1 wrote:
Spinozist21 wrote:

If you call paying six figures for a school where employment prospects are marginal then call me negative of those schools. I'm not trying to be negative of people, but each person should either go to the best school they can or the best scholarship they can. Not doing what you can to maximize that is just stupid.

It is completely incorrect to say/assume that there are not good/great lawyers from schools outside the top 14-25 schools.

I am not saying that you are particularly doing that...but lets be serious...there are a ton of posters on here and a ton is said that simply is factually incorrect. You can go to a 50-70 school or whatever and do well and get a good job. You will have to work hard...so what? Will you be a disadvantage? Sure...but it is fallacious to say that you cant be successful etc at certain schools.

And frankly it should disturb any/every "good" poster...any poster who actually wants to give/receive advice and help...again...its ridiculous.

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:10 pm

lawschoollll wrote:
Spinozist21 wrote:

I dont disagree with you. I just think that its getting to the point here where people are way too quick to defend others who are prepared to shell out $150K for a legal education without any legal employment prospects. Its ridiculous...

Oh hey FTFY HTH

First, that wasn't my quote...and second that is completely fallacious.
Last edited by Spinozist21 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Spinozist21 wrote:
bk1 wrote:
Spinozist21 wrote:

It is completely incorrect to say/assume that there are not good/great lawyers from schools outside the top 14-25 schools.

I am not saying that you are particularly doing that...but lets be serious...there are a ton of posters on here and a ton is said that simply is factually incorrect. You can go to a 50-70 school or whatever and do well and get a good job. You will have to work hard...so what? Will you be a disadvantage? Sure...but it is fallacious to say that you cant be successful etc at certain schools.

And frankly it should disturb any/every "good" poster...any poster who actually wants to give/receive advice and help...again...its ridiculous.

Where are you applying to LS

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:12 pm

Spinozist21 wrote:It is completely incorrect to say/assume that there are not good/great lawyers from schools outside the top 14-25 schools.

Which is why I said the following:

bk1 wrote:I'm not trying to be negative of people, but each person should either go to the best school they can or the best scholarship they can. Not doing what you can to maximize that is just stupid.

Return to “What are my chances?”