URM AAFemale 3.4 T14 chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Spinozist21

Re: URM AAFemale 3.4 T14 chances?

Postby Spinozist21 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:43 pm

esquire2014 wrote:
paratactical wrote:
esquire2014 wrote:
It is a matter of not wanting to wait and then try and find something to do for a year.

gwuorbust wrote:If you don't care about getting a good job by all means jump right in; if you do want a good job, whether in private, public, or PI sectors then it is worth the wait. volunteer for a year in south america or something and learn Spanish or Portuguese.

Enjoy shitttlaw and contract document review, then.

that's a tad harsh.

Dont listen to this fuckbags. Seriously, this place is full of people who like to thump their chests because they got a 170 and are going to get to go to HYS...you do NOT have to go to HYS to get a job or even a good job. You do NOT have to go to a top 14 to get a good job. People around here are actually biased by their own beliefs...the belief that they are actually better than others because they score 170 and others didnt.

Dont let people tell you not to go after your dream b/c you didnt score as well on a test as them or as well as you would like...

And to the rest of you. Seriously? Shame on you all...you are not all the intellectual powerhouses that you think you are.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:46 pm

Every situation is different. Paratactical's only point seems to be to insult others with whom he disagrees. Good luck in your legal practise ( also spelled practice).
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:47 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:I don't think that anyone disagrees with you regarding the advice to attend a top ranked law school with significant financial aid, but it's better to wait for an actual LSAT score & to wait for actual admissions decisions & financial aid/merit offers before preaching doom & gloom.
LSN is a small anonymous sample that offers little in the way of verification.

1. OP is scoring low, hence OP will prob get a low LSAT
2. A low LSAT means OP will be dinged at dream schools
3. OP will not get into a good school
4. Therefore, OP should not take the LSAT until she has maxed out her ability to prepare.

it really is pretty simple.

S->L
L->D
*G
-------
*T

The above logical form is invalid. Good luck as you continue to think you're better than others b/c you scored better on a standardized test...yet you cant even construct a valid argument. Nice.

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:52 pm

OP, check out this profile on LSN...you should be close to this so it should give you a little more info.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/loblawlawblogger

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:56 pm

@spinozist: Seriously? No shit it's possible to get a job coming out of a TTT, but it is a fuckton harder and more unlikely than at a T14. Those schools open doors that others do not and that's a fact. If OP can get above a 160, the T14 is possible. It would be incredibly stupid and shortsighted to go somewhere else without a big scholarship rather than a T14.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:56 pm

paratactical wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:A rare few applicants score higher than their practice tests. However, most score around 3 points lower than their practice, with some applicants also scoring drastically lower than their LSAT.

FTFY

Why do you give people incorrect information in the guise of being nice and helpful? The things you tell people are wrong.

Also, OP, if you want to take PDaddy's advice because it does sound nicer to hear, remember that he actually believes this shit:

PDaddy wrote:Those no ass havin', no-lipped, hawk-nosed, sunburned, buttermilk in the mornin' smellin' (and they smell just like buttermilk in the morning), pale-faced scrubs will never touch black men in the beauty department. They typically can't dance, they're nasty (in more ways than one), and they are cowardly.

REMARKS REMOVED BY MODERATOR AS EXTREME AND OFFENSIVE TOWARD OTHER POSTERS

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:58 pm

Spinozist21 wrote:OP, check out this profile on LSN...you should be close to this so it should give you a little more info.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/loblawlawblogger

Even though people lie on LSN, I believe this one. It's completely possible. But any two candidates are like apples and oranges, and this candidate may have fudged the numbers. In any event, you see that some schools jusst outside of the T14 gave him/her a look, and Duke nearly bit.

There are so many intangibles...writing ability, LOR's, W.E., community service, major, school, grade trend, etc. We know none of these things about OP.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:06 pm

With respect to paratactical's (another poster) quoting me two posts above, that was a different thread with different circumstances. Advice varies depending upon not only the specific situation, but also upon the proximity to test date. With only two weeks left before the October test, negatives are only likely to raise test takers anxiety levels. This is similiar to critiques on drafts of personal statements & other essays. First drafts are read & critiqued differently than proposed final drafts. Same with coaching football & other competive event perticipants.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Well this has become quite the shitshow. Nice post btw PDaddy, like that's appropriate in any context.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:13 pm

Paratactical...You are a Troll (with a capital T).

The major flaw in your reasoning is that you mistake my remarks about what is "possible" for a belief that it is "likely".

I have never claimed that OP was likely to get in. That said, URM's have gotten into those schools with even worse numbers. :roll:

LAWLAW09

Postby LAWLAW09 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:15 pm

Ah, the things folks will say under the veil of anonymity.

To the OP if you put together an application with the mentality that only your numbers determine your chances (a mistake that you made by only posting your numbers and one that too many other URMs make), your application, regardless of your LSAT score, will get you dinged at a school you could have gotten into.

(P.S. It's taboo in the black community to be influenced by unrelated traps that lead blacks to verbally attack other blacks. smh.)

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:16 pm

YOU'LL GET IN EVERYWHERE YOU APPLY!!!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:20 pm

@PDaddy: Why even bother mentioning it? A 2.2 and someone else with a 147 got into the T14 this year but it isn't really helpful to tell people with those numbers that it is possible when it is [b]exceedingly[b/] unlikely.

@lawlaw: They really are that important. Even so the OP should put herself in the best possible position with the highest LSAT she can get, even if that means waiting to apply.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:22 pm

bk1 wrote:Well this has become quite the shitshow. Nice post btw PDaddy, like that's appropriate in any context.

pocket herc

Postby pocket herc » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:27 pm

You have to get over yourself

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:28 pm

PDaddy wrote:Paratactical...You are a Troll (with a capital T).

The major flaw in your reasoning is that you mistake my remarks about what is "possible" for a belief that it is "likely".

I have never claimed that OP was likely to get in. That said, URM's have gotten into those schools with even worse numbers. :roll:

no, you are the troll. but everyone already knows that. I say this b/c there is no chance OP is getting into gtown, Duke, Cornell, etc. with those numbers. sorry, but she didn't say she founded google, saved two towns in Africa, etc. baring Noble peace prize softs OP is out w/o higher numbers. I would say that regardless of if she is AA with those number or if she was white with higher numbers.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:31 pm

EDIT: I would like to change my advice to the OP:

Plz only apply to two schools. Nova and Barry.

Which one you should choose is a fierce matter of debate is a Q that has yet to be resolved. But it is possible that you will be biglaw secure coming from one of those schools.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:31 pm

bk1 wrote:@PDaddy: Why even bother mentioning it? A 2.2 and someone else with a 147 got into the T14 this year but it isn't really helpful to tell people with those numbers that it is possible when it is exceedingly[b/] unlikely.

@lawlaw: They really are that important. Even so the OP should put herself in the best possible position with the highest LSAT she can get, even if that means waiting to apply.

You don't understand...OP isn't a 2.2. You are comparing an example from the far extreme. I would never tell someone with THAT profile (i.e. 2.2/147) that they even had a shot at all.

But the fact is, more URM's get into top schools with 3.4/sub-160 (OP's profile) than you think. [b]OP has a chance, and not a remote one either. It depends on her softs. Nobody here has seen her profile. it is quite irresponsible to keep making assertions about someones chances based on numbers alone, as many of you are doing. I am basing my assertions on trends. Soft factors are 10-15% of white applicants' profiles. They necessarily make up 33-50% of URM's profiles. That dictates that they those segments receive different evaluations. The LSAT makes up 45-60% of a white applicant's admission almost always. The LSAT makes up 20-40% of URM admission, depending on the school, gpa, etc.

You are applying an inapplicable standard to URM admissions.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:32 pm

gwuorbust wrote:EDIT: I would like to change my advice to the OP:

Which one you should choose is a fierce matter of debate is a Q that has yet to be resolved. But it is possible that you will be biglaw secure coming from one of those schools.

Apply to GWU, and hurry!

mfeller2

Postby mfeller2 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:34 pm

PDaddy wrote:
bk1 wrote:@PDaddy: Why even bother mentioning it? A 2.2 and someone else with a 147 got into the T14 this year but it isn't really helpful to tell people with those numbers that it is possible when it is exceedingly[b/] unlikely.

You don't understand...OP isn't a 2.2. You are comparing an example from the far extreme. I would never tell someone with THAT profile (i.e. 2.2/147) that they even had a shot at all.

But the fact is, more URM's get into top schools with 3.4/sub-160 (OP's profile) than you think. [b]OP has a chance, and not a remote one either. It depends on her softs. Nobody here has seen her profile. it is quite irresponsible to keep making assertions about someones chances based on numbers alone, as many of you are doing. I am basing my assertions on trends. Soft factors are 10-15% of white applicants' profiles. They necessarily make up 33-50% of URM's profiles. That dictates that they those segments receive different evaluations. The LSAT makes up 45-60% of a white applicant's admission almost always. The LSAT makes up 20-40% of URM admission, depending on the school, gpa, etc.

You are applying an inapplicable standard to URM admissions.

I'm sure you have sources to back up these statements. right?

LAWLAW09

Postby LAWLAW09 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:36 pm

PDaddy wrote:
bk1 wrote:Well this has become quite the shitshow. Nice post btw PDaddy, like that's appropriate in any context.

An OP by a black woman has somehow turned into a black man attacking another black woman. I'd point out that your insistence that you are "smart" is attached to methods of evaluating intelligence that do accurately reflect the intelligence of blacks, but this thread has enough racial fail in it.

If your intelligence isn't up for debate, your black card certainly could be.

A trap is a trap is a trap.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:36 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
PDaddy wrote:Paratactical...You are a Troll (with a capital T).

no, you are the troll. but everyone already knows that. I say this b/c there is no chance OP is getting into gtown, Duke, Cornell, etc. with those numbers. sorry, but she didn't say she founded google, saved two towns in Africa, etc. baring Noble peace prize softs OP is out w/o higher numbers. I would say that regardless of if she is AA with those number or if she was white with higher numbers.

You wish it worked that way, but it doesn't. OP need not reinvent the wheel to get into these schools. If she had a tough major, took hard classes, worked FT during school, has killer essays and LOR's, has an upward grade trend, has an unusual skill or career goal, etc, that can be enough. She is a URM female!!!!!!!! Like it or not, her 158, should she acheive one, will be viewed as a 168+/-. That's a fact. There just aren't enough URM's applying, and top schools want the best URM's they can find. Her 158 is like your 168. I repeatedly point out that, without seeing her entire profile, we cannot know for sure. On top of that, softs play a much bigger part in URM admissions.

All OP has to do is speak to an admissions officer and they will encourage her to apply...stressing thast they have admitted several students with those numbers before. If her softs are what she claims they are, she can apply to every T14 with a 158, and I guarantee you at least two will WL her and one or two may admit if she has applied early. That's a 1/6 chance (possibly 1 in 4) of getting into a T14. Anyone would like those odds. I have told her to apply to lower T1 as well. You and the others conveniently ignore that part of my post.

You just cannot stand the idea that someone with lower numbers than you can get into a higher ranked or more prestigious school. But that's the reality, and deservedly so in just about every case in which it occurs. The schools can make mistakes once in awhile, but that's the case with any segment of student.
Last edited by PDaddy on Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cartercl

Postby cartercl » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:39 pm

Now you're just being a jerk. Even if T-14 is out (and I'm not sure that with a 3.4/159/160/AA it is) T-25 is definitely in OPs future with those numbers.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:43 pm

cartercl wrote:

Now you're just being a jerk. Even if T-14 is out (and I'm not sure that with a 3.4/159/160/AA it is) T-25 is definitely in OPs future with those numbers.

I have asserted this same thing, but they keep ignoring it. I suggested that she apply deep into the top-30. She will be getting some nice offers. But she first has to get an official 158+. Her practice scores likely don't indicate that yet. To acheive a real 158, you need to practice at about 163...consistently. Rare is the test taker who exceeds his/her practice scores on the real thing. It does happen, but it's more often the case with higher scorers anyways.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:44 pm

cartercl wrote:

hey, like OP said believing that if you go to a TTTT your going to be doing doc review all day long is harsh... therefore, OP should take the schly to Nova.

Now OP might have to stay in the top 10% to keep the schly, but believing that OP wouldn't keep it would just be harsh. in fact, anything that doesn't meet the exact expectations of OP is harsh. shame on you real world!!

Return to “What are my chances?”