URM AAFemale 3.4 T14 chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
PDaddy

Re: URM AAFemale 3.4 T14 chances?

Postby PDaddy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:29 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Who said that it would be sticker ? URM admissions is much different than non-URM admissions. Indiana, for example, awards grants (not loans) to approximately 77% of its law students. Illinois awards grants to 85% of its law students. Minnesota to 65% & has less than 3% black students which suggests to me that the OP's application would be very welcome. SMU awards grants to 96% of its law school students according to info. regarding 2009.

Glad somebody has some sense in the joint.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:33 pm

Doritos wrote:
seespotrun wrote:
PDaddy wrote:
But I will say this, it's getting increasingly more difficult for URM's to get into the elite schools with anything below 160 regardless of grades. This should please many white students, who think the "break" given to uRM's is unfair.

All non-URMs are white? wtf

I love louis ck

proof....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u2ZsoYW ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u2ZsoYW ... re=related
http://www.hulu.com/watch/158175/the-to ... -ck-part-2

Never said ALL URM's were white. Whites are, however, the most vocal non-URM's...and they are the ones most pissed off at AA's getting what they believe is preferential treatment in admissions. Get it right and stop putting words into my mouth.

Another thing, nobody on this site has proven that they can successfully battle me, so I don't know why you just don't give it up. I only state facts.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:38 pm

LAWLAW09 wrote:PDaddy, do you plan on responding to my posts that were directed at you?

REMARKS REMOVED BY MODERATOR AS EXTREME AND OFFENSIVE TOWARD OTHER POSTERS

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:44 pm

romothesavior wrote:OP, I'm really sorry this thread turned into a shit show. I think you have good questions and it is important for you to get good answers. I want to throw these thoughts out there, and you can take them for what they are worth.

1. If you don't get a 160+ on the LSAT, you should retake. There is no harm in retaking, but the potential benefits would be HUGE. A 160+ would get you full rides or close to it from a lot of top tier schools, as well as likely get you some admittances to some T14s.

2. It is NOT T14 or Howard if you are a URM. Howard is a fine school, I am sure, but you want to go to a place where your race can help you stand out in the crowd, not force you to blend in. As an AA, you are a coveted prize for many schools and eventually for firms and other employers. There are very few AAs in the upper-echelons of law and an AA that does respectably at a good school will be heavily sought after. If you are not able to crack the T14, I encourage you to consider some of the regional T20-30s. You could get good money from them with a solid LSAT score.

There are many great resources on TLS, including many great AAs who have been through this process already. I encourage you to utilize them throughout your cycle, and don't let all the ridiculous BS that goes on around here hold you back. Good luck to you!

I'm not in disagreement with much of this at all. A sub-160 score is not a death sentence, that's all I am saying. It's worth re-taking. But OP should not assume that she won't get into a top school because it's very possible, even likely And I already stated in my first post that the "T14, Howard or bust" mentality was garbage.

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:44 pm

romothesavior wrote:OP, I'm really sorry this thread turned into a shit show. I think you have good questions and it is important for you to get good answers. I want to throw these thoughts out there, and you can take them for what they are worth.

1. If you don't get a 160+ on the LSAT, you should retake. There is no harm in retaking, but the potential benefits would be HUGE. A 160+ would get you full rides or close to it from a lot of top tier schools, as well as likely get you some admittances to some T14s.

2. It is NOT T14 or Howard if you are a URM. Howard is a fine school, I am sure, but you want to go to a place where your race can help you stand out in the crowd, not force you to blend in. As an AA, you are a coveted prize for many schools and eventually for firms and other employers. There are very few AAs in the upper-echelons of law and an AA that does respectably at a good school will be heavily sought after. If you are not able to crack the T14, I encourage you to consider some of the regional T20-30s. You could get good money from them with a solid LSAT score.

There are many great resources on TLS, including many great AAs who have been through this process already. I encourage you to utilize them throughout your cycle, and don't let all the ridiculous BS that goes on around here hold you back. Good luck to you!

Yes, it is quite sad that she cant get any real information...good job trying to at least provide her with some.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:46 pm

pocket herc wrote:Pdaddy, you are just having fun right? I mean, your online persona doesn't conform to your actual personality right?

As for op, she'll get into some fine schools but improving the LSAT score would put her in a much better position, make her much less susceptible to the whims of an admissions committee

Why can't you guys read? Huh? Read this: NOBODY DENIES THAT A HIGHER SCORE PUTS HER INB A BETTER POSITION!!!! Has anyone stated that? Has anyone said that if OP gets a 158 she has it made?

What are you all smoking? :roll:

I'm done with this thread. You don't win, I just feel that the responses have become really stupid. Read all of my posts, and you will see that I have said nothing unreasonable in this thread. My advice is sound. I have given the same advice to others like OP and they have gotten into top schools, so, unlike many of you naysayers, I have seen my ideas work in real life.

You don't know URM admissions, which is different from other admissions, and you don't know OP's profile. Therefore, you have no right to tell her what she can't do with whatever score.

That's the end of it.
Last edited by PDaddy on Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:48 pm

PDaddy wrote:they are the ones most pissed off at AA's getting what they believe is preferential treatment in admissions.

What exactly would you call it? Other than blatant preferential treatment?

Not making a judgment one way or another, but to try and say that a URM boost is anything other than preferential treatment is patently stupid.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:52 pm

PDaddy wrote:Another thing, nobody on this site has proven that they can successfully battle me, so I don't know why you just don't give it up. I only state facts.

Hey pdaddy, you wanna battle?

Last edited by Patriot1208 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:52 pm

PDaddy wrote:I'm done with this thread. You don't win, I just feel that the responses have become really stupid. Read all of my posts, and you will see that I have said nothing unreasonable in this thread. My advice is sound. I have given the same advice to others like OP and they have gotten into top schools, so, unlike many of you naysayers, I have seen my ideas work in real life.

You don't know URM admissions, which is different from other admissions, and you don't know OP's profile. Therefore, you have no right to tell her what she can't do with whatever score.

That's the end of it.

Sure, that's easy to say when you keep editing substantive comments out of your posts that people are you proving you wrong about.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:55 pm

kalvano wrote:
PDaddy wrote:they are the ones most pissed off at AA's getting what they believe is preferential treatment in admissions.

Not making a judgment one way or another, but to try and say that a URM boost is anything other than preferential treatment is patently stupid.

It's not preferential, it is simply compensating for the disadvantages one has endured. If you play a tennis match against Venus Williams, and you are as good an athlete, but she has a top-notch racket and you have a bad one, maybe you should get an extra point every time you score...that or a new racket. The racket happens to be a better elementary and secondary education, a better neighborhood, a better family history, two parents, and an unfettered progression through schools that happen to be better equipped with better educated, higher paid teachers.

The boost is not a literal, it is figurative. The LSAT is balanced with a greater weight placed on soft factors, and those soft factors are getting the proper weight.

A rich or well-off student deserves no boost no matter what his ethnic background. So this is not about race or ethnicity. And a white student with a disadvantaged background should get the same boost. it just so happens that some whites do get that same bnoost. Nobody ever talks about that.

And lets not forget about the boosts rich whites get...what do thay call them? "Legacies"? WTF is that?

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:56 pm

Ok so I am relatively new around here...can someone tell me why the thread had to devolve into a flame-on-pdaddy? Or, conversely, why it rightly devolved into a justified flame-on-pdaddy?

Also, I mean really there are people who come here for advice and help etc...and to essentially deny that or act disrespectfully towards them shows a lack of personal maturity that is, in fact, quite troublesome if this place houses some of the best-and-brightest future lawyers.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:57 pm

delBarco wrote:
PDaddy wrote:I'm done with this thread. You don't win, I just feel that the responses have become really stupid. Read all of my posts, and you will see that I have said nothing unreasonable in this thread. My advice is sound. I have given the same advice to others like OP and they have gotten into top schools, so, unlike many of you naysayers, I have seen my ideas work in real life.

That's the end of it.

Sure, that's easy to say when you keep editing substantive comments out of your posts that people are you proving you wrong about.

I don't edit anything to avoid debaters. I edit when I mis-type, that's it. I typically pay no attention to the other posts until I have my thoughts together and post them.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:58 pm

--ImageRemoved--

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:58 pm

PDaddy wrote:
kalvano wrote:

It's not preferential, it is simply compensating for the disadvantages one has endured. If you play a tennis match against Venus Williams, and you are as good an athlete, but she has a top-notch racket and you have a bad one, maybe you should get an extra point every time you score...that or a new racket. The racket happens to be a better elementary and secondary education, a better neighborhood, a better family history, two parents, and an unfettered progression through schools that happen to be better equipped with better educated, higher paid teachers.

The boost is not a literal, it is figurative. The LSAT is balanced with a greater weight placed on soft factors, and those soft factors are getting the proper weight.

A rich or well-off student deserves no boost no matter what his ethnic background. So this is not about race or ethnicity. And a white student with a disadvantaged background should get the same boost. it just so happens that some whites do get that same bnoost. Nobody ever talks about that.

And lets not forget about the boosts rich whites get...what do thay call them? "Legacies"? WTF is that?

Apparently, for all your "smarts", simple definitions elude you.

"pref·er·en·tial (prf-rnshl)
adj.
1. Of, relating to, or giving advantage or preference"

I'm not even going to begin to address the incredible stupidity in the rest of the post.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:58 pm

PDaddy wrote:

Can I just say that this and the "house negro" comments earlier clearly make you the most racist person on this board. Also, thank you for letting me know that every black person is poor.

EDIT: Also this guy would be ashamed, and I think he knows he's black.

--ImageRemoved--
Last edited by Patriot1208 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pkpop

Postby pkpop » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:59 pm

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:01 pm

What the fuck happened here?

Return to “What are my chances?”