Minor in Possession--effect on chances??

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
NorCalBruin

Minor in Possession--effect on chances??

Postby NorCalBruin » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:19 am

Hey,

I got a Minor in Possession in California in spring 2007. It was an infraction, not a misdemeanor. That's the only thing on my record.

Given that I have good numbers, will an MIP seriously hurt my chances of admission at a t14 school?

Thanks

ResolutePear

Re: Minor in Possession--effect on chances??

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:22 am

NorCalBruin wrote:Hey,

I got a Minor in Possession in California in spring 2007. It was an infraction, not a misdemeanor. That's the only thing on my record.

Given that I have good numbers, will an MIP seriously hurt my chances of admission at a t14 school?

Thanks

If you don't make it in, it wasn't because of it.

MSUPHL

Postby MSUPHL » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:23 am

No. I had 2 MIPs and a disorderly conduct and my cycle went pretty much as expected (163 3.6, attending ASU w/ 35k total scholly). Albeit, one MIP (misdemeanor) was on my record, and the other two things I was charged with but merely convicted of a civil infraction in both cases. I just wrote an addendum stating the facts (date arrested, charged, arraigned, details of probation for my 1 MIP, etc), no excuses/reasons or anything.

Spoonmanners

Postby Spoonmanners » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:28 am

I wouldn't worry about one thing 3 years ago. You may have some unrealistic standard as to exactly how many people will have a similar charge on day one of 1L year. Just be honest, because the school doesn't actually care that you have been arrested, as long as you can pass the bar. You should be totally fine.

Return to “What are my chances?”