2.96 and 157 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
lsathelp

Bronze

Re: 2.96 and 157

Post by lsathelp » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:51 pm

What do you guys think about taking a full ride with no gpa stipulation and free summer courses to a T1 school in a big market?
I turned this down to sit out a year and retake but my score just wont increase any more. This is my 4th lsat and i believe i've reached my limit.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:53 pm

what score is that and where'd you start from?

and what market?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:55 pm

lsathelp wrote:What do you guys think about taking a full ride with no gpa stipulation and free summer courses to a T1 school in a big market?
I turned this down to sit out a year and retake but my score just wont increase any more. This is my 4th lsat and i believe i've reached my limit.
Seems like an awful idea to turn that down, esp because the competition gets more stiff every year (this might not be the case next year) and you aren't supposed to take the LSAT more than 3 times.....

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:58 pm

Barbie wrote:
lsathelp wrote:What do you guys think about taking a full ride with no gpa stipulation and free summer courses to a T1 school in a big market?
Seems like an awful idea to turn that down, esp because the competition gets more stiff every year (this might not be the case next year) and you aren't supposed to take the LSAT more than 3 times.....
yeah seems odd. there is that 3x in 5 yr limit or some garbage.

lsathelp

Bronze

Post by lsathelp » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:59 pm

Barbie wrote:
Yea but i got a school to write a letter on my behalf to lsac. I asked for a deferral to keep my options open. Now Im thinking maybe i should just take the deal and run with it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lsathelp

Bronze

Post by lsathelp » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:01 am

justadude55 wrote:what score is that and where'd you start from?

and what market?
I started from the low 140's to high 150's.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:02 am

lsathelp wrote:
justadude55 wrote:what score is that and where'd you start from?

and what market?
I started from the low 140's to high 150's.
You got money at a T1 with a high 150s? I feel like I'll be lucky to get IN to more than a few T1s without any money with my 163

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:03 am

lolwut?
lsathelp wrote: Hey guys!

So awhile back SMU was my first choice and as some of you may know i was deeply depressed when i got rejected. Well after a couple months i was curious today and went on their website and checked my status (i just had this strange feeling to check it) and to my surprise i saw the words "Waitlisted". So i called to make sure and the girl was just as confused as me, she said they were supposed to send a new letter out to me. I have already committed to Case Western and i did not send any LOCI and Im guessing its way too late now.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:05 am

and you got a full ride to a tier one in the high 150s? did you cure AIDS or something?

and the 150s don't sniff the t-14. i had high 160s, soon gonna be 170s and i'm not even banking on t-14.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lsathelp

Bronze

Post by lsathelp » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:08 am

Duralex wrote:

lolwut?
lsathelp wrote: Hey guys!

So awhile back SMU was my first choice and as some of you may know i was deeply depressed when i got rejected. Well after a couple months i was curious today and went on their website and checked my status (i just had this strange feeling to check it) and to my surprise i saw the words "Waitlisted". So i called to make sure and the girl was just as confused as me, she said they were supposed to send a new letter out to me. I have already committed to Case Western and i did not send any LOCI and Im guessing its way too late now.
Yea after all that Loyola gave me a last minute full scholly. I figured why go to Case and pay so i withdrew and decided to sit out a year. This was like two days before the start of school. With all the doom and gloom threads i got scared and i guess the Retake responses got to me.

lsathelp

Bronze

Post by lsathelp » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:09 am

justadude55 wrote:and you got a full ride to a tier one in the high 150s? did you cure AIDS or something?

and the 150s don't sniff the t-14. i had high 160s, soon gonna be 170s and i'm not even banking on t-14.
Its a low T1 or t2 and i'm URM if that helps.

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:14 am

Wait, I'm at a T1? Shit, why didn't anyone tell me? The parking lot makes so much more sense now.

--ImageRemoved--

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:14 am

Barbie wrote:
justadude55 wrote: i would LOVE to live in florida, but my research and lemme know if i'm off, is that because the highest ranked FL law school is in the 40s, outta staters get first picking at the big firms.
lol what? I'm not really pro-florida, but I live here so I'm applying all around. and not really... Florida firms have a lot of Florida alumni. and FSU and UF alumni, and Miami, LOOOOVE their alma mater schools. So it probably goes down in the FL rankings, with of course elite out of staters in and out. honestly, not too many elite out of staters seem to be around.
Out of staters from T25ish schools ITE with FL connections, aka being from FL are at a better position than UF, FSU, Miami, etc.
Barbie wrote:Apply to Miami and FIU. if Miami doesn't give you any money, go to FIU because its a state school and cheap. They are actually on the rise (they are very new) and decently respected from what I hear down there.
FIU? They aren't really on the rise, and even if they were, it wouldn't help anyone who's applying now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:16 am

Holy threadhijacking, Batman!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:16 am

rad law wrote:
Barbie wrote:
justadude55 wrote: i would LOVE to live in florida, but my research and lemme know if i'm off, is that because the highest ranked FL law school is in the 40s, outta staters get first picking at the big firms.
lol what? I'm not really pro-florida, but I live here so I'm applying all around. and not really... Florida firms have a lot of Florida alumni. and FSU and UF alumni, and Miami, LOOOOVE their alma mater schools. So it probably goes down in the FL rankings, with of course elite out of staters in and out. honestly, not too many elite out of staters seem to be around.
Out of staters from T25ish schools ITE with FL connections, aka being from FL are at a better position than UF, FSU, Miami, etc.
Barbie wrote:Apply to Miami and FIU. if Miami doesn't give you any money, go to FIU because its a state school and cheap. They are actually on the rise (they are very new) and decently respected from what I hear down there.
FIU? They aren't really on the rise, and even if they were, it wouldn't help anyone who's applying now.

The man said he has a job on lock in Miami.
So, FIU would be a good, cheap, near Miami choice.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:19 am

not to hijack this thread or anything, but in general, if a school out of the blue contacts you and offers you a fee waiver, saying that they're impressed with your #'s but these #'s just meet their medians, are you generally a shoe-in?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:21 am

justadude55 wrote:not to hijack this thread or anything, but in general, if a school out of the blue contacts you and offers you a fee waiver, saying that they're impressed with your #'s but these #'s just meet their medians, are you generally a shoe-in?
Nope. They may want you just to boost selectivity.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:22 am

Barbie wrote: The man said he has a job on lock in Miami.
So, FIU would be a good, cheap, near Miami choice.
In general though I'm talking.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:22 am

justadude55 wrote:not to hijack this thread or anything, but in general, if a school out of the blue contacts you and offers you a fee waiver, saying that they're impressed with your #'s but these #'s just meet their medians, are you generally a shoe-in?
No. Fee waivers don't mean anything. It could mean that they want you so they can reject you and increase their selectivity or it could mean they actually want your numbers, but no matter what your numbers they just want their # of applicants to go up so they can increase selectivity.

Check LSN/LSP if you are wondering your chances.

lsathelp

Bronze

Post by lsathelp » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:24 am

bk187 wrote:
Holy threadhijacking, Batman!
Sorry. i didn't mean to hijack. please disregard.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:25 am

Barbie wrote:
well, if you actually do look like barbie, i'd venture to say in this superficially driven country, you'll probably have good employment chances coming out of wherever you can get an interview.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:33 am

justadude55 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
well, if you actually do look like barbie, i'd venture to say in this superficially driven country, you'll probably have good employment chances coming out of wherever you can get an interview.
I am not fond of that comment. It shouldn't matter what I look like. And I have great interviewing skeels :)

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:43 am

it shouldn't, but if stephen hawkings and brad pitt made the same argument before the jury, i think it's obvious who would be favored. obviously stephen hawkings, because he's a stud but that is the way human nature works.

tas817

New

Post by tas817 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:22 am

justadude55 quote

"these schools are businesses. they are not lying when they say their employment prospects are great. this is their life. it's like asking somebody who lives in a particular country if it's a good place to live. they believe it, even if it needn't be true. without naming names in the interest of not damaging any school's reputation, several schools 35-60 approached me with fee waivers, and talking about scholarships. some were in tropical climates, and so i thought, why not just go to a tropical place with minimal debt and spend my lift there, especially after the admissions officers talked to me about how great the job placement is for their law school. well, after doing research, and seeing angry blog posts by alumnus at some of these schools waiting tables and working at starbucks, you better believe i crossed them all off my list. even if you do believe you are going to be top 10% which i presume 90% of the entering class believes, it's pretty darn stressful knowing you need to be the 1 in 10 to have a job!!!! it's like jack london's a call to the wild. just not worth it IMO. i'd rather play basketball at DUKE where I know NBA scouts will see me than at Appalachian State, even if I'd be the best on the team if you get my drift."

I would like to challenge everyone on TLS to find 1 person working at starbucks or waiting tables that has a JD. Happy hunting. (That didn't get kicked off the bar)

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:26 am

tas817 wrote: I would like to challenge everyone on TLS to find 1 person working at starbucks or waiting tables that has a JD. Happy hunting.
How about unemployed or doing shitty $20/hr doc review?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”