3.69 / 162 UGA Law

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Pricer

3.69 / 162 UGA Law

Postby Pricer » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:34 pm

I took the LSAT last February, and I scored a 162. I was scoring 169-176 on my PTs (timed, real conditions, etc.), so you can imagine my disappointment. I was really looking at Vanderbilt, but UGA (my undergrad) was my backup plan. When I received my score, I decided not to apply last cycle and wait for this upcoming one. I find myself in a much different position this time, however. I am working full time and have a LONG commute, combining to top 13 hours each day. That leaves very little time to do LSAT prep besides on the weekends. Taking this into consideration, I have decided to wait until December to retake (rather than October), allowing a couple of months of weekend studying.

If, however, I decided to apply to UGA law the first day of this cycle with my 162 score, what do you think are the chances of me getting in? I know all about LSN and LSP, but they can be a little bit misleading because of the rolling admissions process and they are user-submitted. I am a white male with an undergrad degree from UGA in finance, 3.69 LSDAS GPA (3.7 regular GPA). I have three letters of recommendation, one a professor who taught two of my finance classes, one a UGA law graduate who I worked for as an office assistant in high school, and one a UGA graduate who is my local (home) representative to the state House. I figure these could be more helpful at UGA than if I were using them at any other school.

I will most likely retake in December regardless because I know I SHOULD have scored higher, and I am still aiming for Vandy. Still, does anyone think I can get into UGA with my current stats and an early application date?

hefox

Re: 3.69 / 162 UGA Law

Postby hefox » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:37 pm

get you app in asap, you can mark on it that you plan to retake in dec. the sooner you get it in the better. you might have an advantage going to UG there, but they usually have a lot of apps with strong LSAT scores.

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:40 pm

WTF? Retake, retake, retake..... Pting with a mode of probably low to mid 170s and then getting a 162 clearly means something is up with how you practiced, or nerves, or both. You need to retake. Don't waste a 3.7 (which is pretty good). Retake, even if it means you have to apply next year instead of this year. You can definitely get to the low mid 170s, which would be huge.

With a 162, you can't break into the top 30. With a 170, you have a shot at UVA, NU or Michigan ED. So really, retake, even if it means waiting another year. It will be worth it.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:52 pm

You would probably have a small shot if they require a certain amount of in-state students in each law school class (i.e. University of North Carolina, University of Texas, University of Florida, University of Virginia, etc.).

I don't consider Emory to be a superior school than UGA, so the only schools that could help you in GA over UGA would likely be Duke/UVA/Vanderbilt. I would say stick with UGA unless you retake and get at least a 1/2 scholarship at Duke/UVA/Vanderbilt or a full ride a Emory.

I'm not sure about this, but I believe you are below both of UGA"s medians. I think they are like 3.7/164 this year.

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:01 pm

Thanks guys.
You mentioned taking a year off...this is my "year off". Since I blew the LSAT so bad (relative to my PTs), I am working full time at a law firm as a paralegal. I took the job to secure an internship with this firm at least one summer, but due to an unbreakable lease, I am commuting two hours to work each way. I am also looking for full time financial analyst jobs, but since I planned to go to law school, I did not do any finance internships. That seems to be the make or break with recent graduates. I guess I put all my eggs into one basket, and that basket doesn't hold as much at 162 as it does at 170. The worst part is that I did not prepare for the GMAT at all and scored plenty high enough to get into UGA's MBA program, but they do not accept applicants without at least 2 years of work experience.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:27 pm

You're WL/out. They have a pretty firm LSAT wall at 164 even with pretty good GPAs like yours.

Retake.

And I'd go with Emory over UGA. But this has been debated a million times.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:29 am

Retake. You'll need a 164 to get into UGA.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:47 pm

You are competitive for Georgia.
Were your practice tests given as part of a LSAT prep course such as Princeton Review, Kaplan, etc.?
I am curious as to why some insist that a 164 LSAT score is needed when your 162 is above the bottom quarter & your GPA is slightly above or at the median.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:49 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:You would probably have a small shot if they require a certain amount of in-state students in each law school class (i.e. University of North Carolina, University of Texas, University of Florida, University of Virginia, etc.).

I don't consider Emory to be a superior school than UGA, so the only schools that could help you in GA over UGA would likely be Duke/UVA/Vanderbilt. I would say stick with UGA unless you retake and get at least a 1/2 scholarship at Duke/UVA/Vanderbilt or a full ride a Emory.

I'm not sure about this, but I believe you are below both of UGA"s medians. I think they are like 3.7/164 this year.

I didn't think UF did this... nor UGA. I could be wrong.
+1 to what rad said-- the wall is a biatch. you are more than capable of getting over it though, so DO IT!

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:55 pm

Barbie wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:You would probably have a small shot if they require a certain amount of in-state students in each law school class (i.e. University of North Carolina, University of Texas, University of Florida, University of Virginia, etc.).

I didn't think UF did this... nor UGA. I could be wrong.
+1 to what rad said-- the wall is a biatch. you are more than capable of getting over it though, so DO IT!

I'm fairly sure UGA requires a certain percentage in-state, but it's more than likely not going to make or break you. Your numbers still have to be up there.

Return to “What are my chances?”