3.52 / 175 Chances at CCN?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
terpie

3.52 / 175 Chances at CCN?

Postby terpie » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:45 pm

Strong softs. Would be willing to ED if necessary to either CLS or NYU.

hefox

Re: 3.52 / 175 Chances at CCN?

Postby hefox » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:46 pm

go to lawschoolnumbers.com. pretty sure you're an in at both.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:58 pm

Strong shot at both. NYU seems very likely. Unless you have significant factors that make staying in NYC a must, I would not ED. You have a shot at some money from CCN and a shot at some significant money from MVP.

http://www.hourumd.com/?lsat=174-176&gp ... o&range=no

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:17 pm

What does strong softs mean? Unless it is nobel prize, rhodes scholar, etc., it is not a strong soft and will not help much, the school will rely on numbers.

Just as an example; the person who got in last year with a 3.5/175, was at a top investment bank for a few years, was undergrad ivy with econ/finance major. Probably Penn, Wharton. If you are like that, then you have "normal" softs. If you are not, you have less than normal softs.

If you want either NYU or CLS, you will have to ED. If you don't, you will be flat reject at CLS, and most likely WL at NYU.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:31 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:What does strong softs mean? Unless it is nobel prize, rhodes scholar, etc., it is not a strong soft and will not help much, the school will rely on numbers.

Just as an example; the person who got in last year with a 3.5/175, was at a top investment bank for a few years, was undergrad ivy with econ/finance major. Probably Penn, Wharton. If you are like that, then you have "normal" softs. If you are not, you have less than normal softs.

If you want either NYU or CLS, you will have to ED. If you don't, you will be flat reject at CLS, and most likely WL at NYU.

And again, wrong. You'll get into NYU. Have a chance at Columbia but I would ED if you really want it.

Postby 12262010 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:32 pm

In at N... in or waitlist at CC.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:39 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:What does strong softs mean? Unless it is nobel prize, rhodes scholar, etc., it is not a strong soft and will not help much, the school will rely on numbers.

This is just wrong. While it's possible OP can get straight rejected at Columbia and WL/reject from NYU, it's a very small possibility.

Just check hourumd or lawschoolnumbers.

OP--ignore dissonance. If you really want Columbia, doing ED there wouldnt be a bad call. ED at NYU just seems like a terrible call though since the vast majority of people with your stats get accepted.

solidsnake

Postby solidsnake » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:51 pm

One view is that strong softs means anything that will give you an discernible edge at EIP/EIW (grades/rank being equal)

terpie

Postby terpie » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:06 pm

Without getting into detail... strong softs comprising of unique work experience shouldering significant responsibility while being featured in both national/regional publications. Also somewhat philanthropically-related. I'm assuming very few, if any, other applicants will have similar experience. Although I wouldn't say it is on the level of a Rhodes scholarship.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:08 pm

terpie wrote:Without getting into detail... strong softs comprising of unique work experience shouldering significant responsibility while being featured in both national/regional publications. Also somewhat philanthropically-related. I'm assuming very few, if any, other applicants will have similar experience. Although I wouldn't say it is on the level of a Rhodes scholarship.

From your vague description, those sound like average softs.

terpie

Postby terpie » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:16 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
terpie wrote:Without getting into detail... strong softs comprising of unique work experience shouldering significant responsibility while being featured in both national/regional publications. Also somewhat philanthropically-related. I'm assuming very few, if any, other applicants will have similar experience. Although I wouldn't say it is on the level of a Rhodes scholarship.

From your vague description, those sound like average softs.

Seems like most people on this site think average softs comprise of founding UG clubs, low-level law firm work, volunteer work etc. I'd have a hard time thinking I'd be viewed on the same level (soft-wise) as those applicants.

spondee

Postby spondee » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:19 pm

Silly assumption to make at schools like CCN.

terpie

Postby terpie » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:22 pm

spondee wrote:

Again, I'm not assuming relative strength of softs aren't as good. I'm assuming very few others have this unique type of experience. I'm more or less hoping to bring uniqueness to a school, which most would admit is beneficial to an applicant.

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:28 pm

terpie wrote:
spondee wrote:

Again, I'm not assuming relative strength of softs aren't as good. I'm assuming very few others have this unique type of experience. I'm more or less hoping to bring uniqueness to a school, which most would admit is beneficial to an applicant.

I think that it's the uniqueness that Spondee was questioning. NYU for example has one of the best law schools and one of the best philosophy departments in the country; I'm sure they get law applicants with impressive philosophy credentials all the time. The point being don't rely on your softs to give you a bump because in all likelihood they probably will not. Your numbers should get you into NYU anyway as previosuly stated.

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:36 am

St.Remy wrote:
terpie wrote:
spondee wrote:

I think that it's the uniqueness that Spondee was questioning. NYU for example has one of the best law schools and one of the best philosophy departments in the country; I'm sure they get law applicants with impressive philosophy credentials all the time. The point being don't rely on your softs to give you a bump because in all likelihood they probably will not. Your numbers should get you into NYU anyway as previosuly stated.

Not philosophy. But yes, NYU does have an excellent Philosophy department. Thomas Nagel FTW.

Return to “What are my chances?”