Foreign undergrad, 171 LSAT

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
cigrainger

Re: Foreign undergrad, 171 LSAT

Postby cigrainger » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:24 pm

im_blue wrote:Here's your list of schools ranked by percentage of international students, according to ABA data:

Columbia 8.9%
Northwestern 7.5%
Harvard 3.2%
Georgetown 3.2%
NYU 3.1%
Chicago 2.4%
Penn 2.4%
UCLA 2.0%
Berkeley 0.0% (typo?)

IMO you have no shot at H, small chance at CCN, decent chance at Berkeley, and good chances at the rest.

Thanks! Are these numbers for foreign-educated US citizens as well?

What I'm worried about is wasting an ED to CCN and then getting dinged all the way down to Penn. :(

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:25 pm

cigrainger wrote:Do you guys think I have a legit shot at Columbia if I go ED there, even with an LSAT below median?

no, for the reason you already identified. focus on schools where you're at or above median. also, don't only apply to schools you would attend, you never know where you'll get $ to negotiate with.

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:29 pm

IAFG wrote:
cigrainger wrote:Do you guys think I have a legit shot at Columbia if I go ED there, even with an LSAT below median?

no, for the reason you already identified. focus on schools where you're at or above median. also, don't only apply to schools you would attend, you never know where you'll get $ to negotiate with.

Thanks for this. I will apply to as many as I can afford (I ended up getting a UVA waiver, and I've started filling out Mich's app -- I suppose I'll need to start on Duke and Cornell soon).

Does anyone have recent median info for the T14? I thought for some reason that NYU's median was 171 -- is that just old info?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:33 pm

cigrainger wrote:
IAFG wrote:

Thanks for this. I will apply to as many as I can afford (I ended up getting a UVA waiver, and I've started filling out Mich's app -- I suppose I'll need to start on Duke and Cornell soon).

Does anyone have recent median info for the T14? I thought for some reason that NYU's median was 171 -- is that just old info?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=128236

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:40 pm

Thanks. Of course it has to go up that one stupid point when I'm applying. :(

What are your thoughts on my chances at Berkeley and Penn RD?

The Real Jack McCoy

Postby The Real Jack McCoy » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:07 am

im_blue wrote:Here's your list of schools ranked by percentage of international students, according to ABA data:

Columbia 8.9%
Northwestern 7.5%
Harvard 3.2%
Georgetown 3.2%
NYU 3.1%
Chicago 2.4%
Penn 2.4%
UCLA 2.0%
Berkeley 0.0% (typo?)

IMO you have no shot at H, small chance at CCN, decent chance at Berkeley, and good chances at the rest.

I think the numbers on LSAC are off for some schools. Harvard's website states 9% of students are foreign citizens.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:10 am

cigrainger wrote:

Ask schools for waivers; they'll often give them out on request.

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:17 pm

sundance95 wrote:
cigrainger wrote:

Ask schools for waivers; they'll often give them out on request.

Awesome, thanks -- though the fee waiver thread seems to show not so many successes. I wonder if law schools think about it when they read your app: 'Yeah, this guy was totally cheeky, ding.'

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:02 am

Hey don't want to hi-jack but wanted to thank kevin for his response and kinda bump this thread to see if any other foreign undergrad applicants form last cycle have any insight on this. I know there were a few. it would be awesome if they could share their LSN profiles or whatever other info.

thanks

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:43 am

FlanAl wrote:Hey don't want to hi-jack but wanted to thank kevin for his response and kinda bump this thread to see if any other foreign undergrad applicants form last cycle have any insight on this. I know there were a few. it would be awesome if they could share their LSN profiles or whatever other info.

thanks

Thanks -- definitely would love to see how some int'l students cycles turned out with a few more details than LSN.

Lisa_I

Postby Lisa_I » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:04 am

kevin261186 wrote:
if they judge it to be 'superior', that means the equivalent of 3.8 - 4.0 (especialyl if it's a top froeign institution)

if they judge the gpa as 'above average', that seems to be 3.5-3.7ish, but that's just based on my cycle.

so does this mean that they actually give the real numbers? cool

Lisa_I

Postby Lisa_I » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:05 am

The Real Jack McCoy wrote:
Harvard is considered very international friendly:

http://www.law.harvard.edu/prospective/ ... ofile.html

Harvard's financial aid process is also very helpful for internationals.

Thanks a lot!
silly me, should have looked closer the website.

but thanks!!!

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:22 pm

nah i think what kev was trying to say was that his cycle worked out "as though" he had a 3.5-3.7 As far as I can tell from my own academic report and cig's is that you get no numbers other than your lsat

oppotomus

Postby oppotomus » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:32 pm

. . .

Return to “What are my chances?”