3.67/167; Am I delusional to think I have a chance??

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
kellycane

3.67/167; Am I delusional to think I have a chance??

Postby kellycane » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:15 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm relatively new to TLS, and after reading tons of posts I'm starting to freak out that I'm not going to get into a T1 law school because I didn't break 170 (I'm not a URM). I thought I had a pretty good LSAT when I saw a 167 was in the top 5%, but it seems like I was completely wrong, especially since the admission cycles seem to be breaking records for being so tough in the past few years.

I really, really need the help and input of people more knowledgeable than me. Am I delusional for applying to these schools? With a 167 LSAT (first and only time) and a 3.67 GPA, are my chances at my list of "50/50" schools actually good? Am I being overconfident thinking I have have a least a 50% chance of getting in? Are my safety schools actually "safe" for my numbers?

Thank you to everyone in advance!!

Reach School

Cornell (I know, not likely! Maybe I shouldn't even bother...)

50/50 Chance (?)

University of Minnesota (currently one of my top choices)
University of Illinois
Indiana University
William and Mary
University of North Carolina
Washington-St. Louis
Notre Dame (Am concerned about the religious component and conservatism though... I'm an atheist liberal!)
Boston University

Safety Schools

University of Connecticut
University of Colorado- Boulder
Florida State University

Would employers consider even the "safety schools" Tier 1 schools? Are the schools I listed under 50/50 well-regarded enough to guarantee decent employment prospects?

Thank you again in advance for any and all help!

And PS-- Thank you to everyone who replied to my last post re: dog-friendly campuses. It definitely helped me eliminate some schools from my list (as you can see, I still have plenty haha)
Last edited by kellycane on Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Patriot1208

Re: 3.67/167; Am I delusional to think I have a chance??

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:31 pm

kellycane wrote:Hey everyone,

I'm relatively new to TLS, and after reading tons of posts I'm starting to freak out that I'm not going to get into a T1 law school because I didn't break 170 (I'm not a URM). I thought I had a pretty good LSAT when I saw a 167 was in the top 5%, but it seems like I was completely wrong, especially since the admission cycles seem to be breaking records for being so tough in the past few years.

I really, really need the help and input of people more knowledgeable than me. Am I delusional for applying to these schools? With a 167 LSAT (first and only time) and a 3.67 GPA, are my chances at my list of "50/50" schools actually good? Am I being overconfident thinking I have have a least a 50% chance of getting in? Are my safety schools actually "safe" for my numbers?

Thank you to everyone in advance!!

Reach School

Cornell (I know, not likely! Maybe I shouldn't even bother...)

50/50 Chance (?)

University of Minnesota (currently one of my top choices)
University of Illinois
Indiana University
William and Mary
University of North Carolina
Washington-St. Louis
Notre Dame (Am concerned about the religious component and conservatism though... I'm an atheist liberal!)
Boston University

Safety Schools

University of Connecticut
University of Colorado- Boulder
Florida State University

Would employers consider even the "safety schools" Tier 1 schools? Are the schools I listed under 50/50 well-regarded enough to guarantee decent employment prospects?

Thank you again in advance for any and all help!

Look at LSN, you'll get into probably every school on that list except Cornell. Maybe not UNC either because apparently they give strong strong preference to in state students.

kellycane

Postby kellycane » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:34 pm

Thank you for your input! I did check out law school predictor but I'm worried because I got a lot of "considers" on the schools I've listed and from what I've read on TLS forums, almost every school is posting record GPA and LSAT medians, and my GPA is already a bit below the median for some of the schools I've listed under 50/50. I'm just starting to get discouraged!!

Thank you again for your feedback! It is very much appreciated.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:46 am

kellycane wrote:Thank you for your input! I did check out law school predictor but I'm worried because I got a lot of "considers" on the schools I've listed and from what I've read on TLS forums, almost every school is posting record GPA and LSAT medians, and my GPA is already a bit below the median for some of the schools I've listed under 50/50. I'm just starting to get discouraged!!

Thank you again for your feedback! It is very much appreciated.

GPA matters a lot less then LSAT. For most of the schools listed your LSAT should be above median. And above median LSAT + slightly below median GPA = usually an acceptance.

Seriously, check out lawschoolnumbers.com

for instance, here are a couple people with your numbers and they got into many schools on your list.
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/StrawberryRed89
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/evinks
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/avantgardening

if you are applying this cycle, try to get your apps in as soon as possible.

Return to “What are my chances?”