T14 chances for an older applicant

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
kasko
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:33 pm

T14 chances for an older applicant

Postby kasko » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:08 pm

What's the oldest applicant known to have been accepted at a T14? Applying this year -- mid-50s URM with 30+ years work experience in CS/IP. Crappy UGPA from top school, 175 LSAT. Only interested in schools with hard-core IP programs, and not interested in NY or Chicago due to family issues. Any shot at H, S or B?

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: T14 chances for an older applicant

Postby Knock » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:28 pm

kasko wrote:What's the oldest applicant known to have been accepted at a T14? Applying this year -- mid-50s URM with 30+ years work experience in CS/IP. Crappy UGPA from top school, 175 LSAT. Only interested in schools with hard-core IP programs, and not interested in NY or Chicago due to family issues. Any shot at H, S or B?


You picked 3 schools that hold GPA pretty highly. S and B are known for favoring GPA, at least relative to LSAT compared to other schools, and you still need a strong GPA to get into H, so those 3 are all probably out.

I'd think you'd have a good shot at UVA, possibly with an ED, but how bad exactly is your GPA? I've heard the UVA is in a pretty family friendly area, along with U. Michigan, so those two should be high up on your list.

What kind of URM are you?

kasko
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:33 pm

Re: T14 chances for an older applicant

Postby kasko » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:38 pm

Knockglock wrote:You picked 3 schools that hold GPA pretty highly. S and B are known for favoring GPA, at least relative to LSAT compared to other schools, and you still need a strong GPA to get into H, so those 3 are all probably out.

I'd think you'd have a good shot at UVA, possibly with an ED, but how bad exactly is your GPA? I've heard the UVA is in a pretty family friendly area, along with U. Michigan, so those two should be high up on your list.

What kind of URM are you?


GPA is sub-3.0, but from one of those three mentioned. NA/IA, affiliated/enrolled. Much of the WE is senior/executive level (can obtain recommendations from the top people in the field.)

UVA is family-friendly, but not older applicant-friendly. Haven't heard much about Michigan's IP program -- maybe someone can fill me in (also, Mich tends to only take my kind from in-state, or so I've heard.)

spondee
Posts: 462
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:53 pm

Re: T14 chances for an older applicant

Postby spondee » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:40 pm

I think you're wise to focus on those three schools. As you probably know, they're the best CS IP schools. But if your GPA is too low... don't expect too much.

I don't think your age is directly a problem. You'll need a very good explanation for the career change; and you'll need realistic expectations of your post-JD career. But if you can sell it, you won't be dinged just for being older. At NYU, there's a mid-40s guy in my year.

User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: T14 chances for an older applicant

Postby Rotor » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:40 pm

Your initial question isn't really relevant. (I'm a Boalt 2L and am the oldest in my class at 44. There is a 3L I know who is in the same ballpark. Not quite the same as you, but getting there faster than I would like. :) )

What matters more is the stuff that follows. Will age bar you? Nope. You may even get a bit of a pass on the GPA (It would appear I did, being sub 25th%ile without your killer LSAT). More important is how you package it all together: your experience, your numbers, your URM status, your "why law school". (This last question will also be very important in your job search. I've pretty much had to answer it in some form at practically EVERY interview at OCIP.)

Because of the difference in my own experience vs. your killer LSAT, IP interest and your URM status, I don't feel suited to make a prediction; but it does seem worthwhile to invest the ~$250 in application fees. Good luck!

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: T14 chances for an older applicant

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:43 pm

I think a lot of lower T14 schools will love you. Very high LSAT and lots of work experience? You're going to add a lot of diversity to a class by bringing age and experience that most applicants lack, even those who have a couple years of experience. Plus, as a URM, you're really going to light them up.

Blanket the T14, you'll get into more than one if you do your apps right. Good luck.

kasko
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:33 pm

Re: T14 chances for an older applicant

Postby kasko » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:44 pm

Law school isn't really a "change" -- most of the people in my field of IP already possess JDs -- I'm just playing catch-up.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: T14 chances for an older applicant

Postby Knock » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:44 pm

kasko wrote:
Knockglock wrote:You picked 3 schools that hold GPA pretty highly. S and B are known for favoring GPA, at least relative to LSAT compared to other schools, and you still need a strong GPA to get into H, so those 3 are all probably out.

I'd think you'd have a good shot at UVA, possibly with an ED, but how bad exactly is your GPA? I've heard the UVA is in a pretty family friendly area, along with U. Michigan, so those two should be high up on your list.

What kind of URM are you?


GPA is sub-3.0, but from one of those three mentioned. NA/IA, affiliated/enrolled. Much of the WE is senior/executive level (can obtain recommendations from the top people in the field.)

UVA is family-friendly, but not older applicant-friendly. Haven't heard much about Michigan's IP program -- maybe someone can fill me in (also, Mich tends to only take my kind from in-state, or so I've heard.)


Oops, forgot that you were looking for the top IP programs. I'm not heading into that field so i'm afraid I don't really know too much about it.

By your kind do you mean enrolled Native Americans or older applicants? If the former, I'd think that would be incorrect.

Your cycle is going to be very unpredictable, a super splitter with a sub-3.0 GPA but 175 LSAT, along with being an URM, it's going to be hard to predict acceptances. I'd apply pretty broadly and not limit yourself only to schools that have super strong IP programs. But again i'm not too knowledge about heading into that field. I've heard many times that you shouldn't choose a school based on specialty rankings though, that they aren't worth too much.

Are Chicago and NYC completely out for sure? Because Northwestern would probably love to have you, especially if you ED. They like their applicants to have post-grad work experience, and you seem to have plenty of high quality work experience. They also are willing to let in sup 3.0 splitters, but i'm not sure if you'd need to ED.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: T14 chances for an older applicant

Postby 09042014 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:46 pm

Will anyone hire a 60 year old newly minted lawyer?

I wouldn't apply ED anywhere.

Apply to most of the t14. Shame you won't take Chicago, because Northwestern is almost a guaranteed acceptance. But you'll get into a couple lower t14.

You also don't need a specialized IP program to do IP.

kasko
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:33 pm

Re: T14 chances for an older applicant

Postby kasko » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:51 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Will anyone hire a 60 year old newly minted lawyer?

I wouldn't apply ED anywhere.

Apply to most of the t14. Shame you won't take Chicago, because Northwestern is almost a guaranteed acceptance. But you'll get into a couple lower t14.

You also don't need a specialized IP program to do IP.


Don't really plan on going into a firm -- will probably partner up with people in my field (in which I'm already established, but need the JD to reach the next (that is, highest) level.)

My spouse is a law student in a program that doesn't have a strong IP program, and s/he is already looking for outside opportunities to expand on the survey-level education... don't want to have to do that if possible.

Edited to add: NW is definitely out. Don't want Chicago.
Last edited by kasko on Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: T14 chances for an older applicant

Postby 09042014 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:54 pm

kasko wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Will anyone hire a 60 year old newly minted lawyer?

I wouldn't apply ED anywhere.

Apply to most of the t14. Shame you won't take Chicago, because Northwestern is almost a guaranteed acceptance. But you'll get into a couple lower t14.

You also don't need a specialized IP program to do IP.


Don't really plan on going into a firm -- will probably partner up with people in my field (in which I'm already established, but need the JD to reach the next (that is, highest) level.)

My spouse is a law student in a program that doesn't have a strong IP program, and s/he is already looking for outside opportunities to expand on the survey-level education... don't want to have to do that if possible.


Does the prestige of the degree matter? You might be able to get a full ride at somewhere like GWU, a good school for IP.

kasko
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:33 pm

Re: T14 chances for an older applicant

Postby kasko » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:59 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
kasko wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Will anyone hire a 60 year old newly minted lawyer?

I wouldn't apply ED anywhere.

Apply to most of the t14. Shame you won't take Chicago, because Northwestern is almost a guaranteed acceptance. But you'll get into a couple lower t14.

You also don't need a specialized IP program to do IP.


Don't really plan on going into a firm -- will probably partner up with people in my field (in which I'm already established, but need the JD to reach the next (that is, highest) level.)

My spouse is a law student in a program that doesn't have a strong IP program, and s/he is already looking for outside opportunities to expand on the survey-level education... don't want to have to do that if possible.


Does the prestige of the degree matter? You might be able to get a full ride at somewhere like GWU, a good school for IP.


Have thought of GW -- have some colleagues with degrees from there, and the spouse might be in DC for a few years post-grad. How is GULC's IP program, anyone? Have a friend who went PT years ago (now a partner at a well-known firm), but I'm not familiar with its FT program.

kasko
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:33 pm

Re: T14 chances for an older applicant

Postby kasko » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:14 pm

Rotor wrote:Your initial question isn't really relevant. (I'm a Boalt 2L and am the oldest in my class at 44. There is a 3L I know who is in the same ballpark. Not quite the same as you, but getting there faster than I would like. :) )

What matters more is the stuff that follows. Will age bar you? Nope. You may even get a bit of a pass on the GPA (It would appear I did, being sub 25th%ile without your killer LSAT). More important is how you package it all together: your experience, your numbers, your URM status, your "why law school". (This last question will also be very important in your job search. I've pretty much had to answer it in some form at practically EVERY interview at OCIP.)

Because of the difference in my own experience vs. your killer LSAT, IP interest and your URM status, I don't feel suited to make a prediction; but it does seem worthwhile to invest the ~$250 in application fees. Good luck!


Thanks for the advice. My spouse is friends with that 3L -- guess I should have gone to that source first before throwing that question out here, but like you, their experience is completely different from mine, so it's hard to ask for a prediction.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: T14 chances for an older applicant

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:19 pm

kasko wrote:What's the oldest applicant known to have been accepted at a T14? Applying this year -- mid-50s URM with 30+ years work experience in CS/IP. Crappy UGPA from top school, 175 LSAT. Only interested in schools with hard-core IP programs, and not interested in NY or Chicago due to family issues. Any shot at H, S or B?


If you ever lift that disregard for NY schools, you would be an autoadmit at Cornell and many of the lower t14 schools.

kasko
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:33 pm

Re: T14 chances for an older applicant

Postby kasko » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:12 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
kasko wrote:What's the oldest applicant known to have been accepted at a T14? Applying this year -- mid-50s URM with 30+ years work experience in CS/IP. Crappy UGPA from top school, 175 LSAT. Only interested in schools with hard-core IP programs, and not interested in NY or Chicago due to family issues. Any shot at H, S or B?


If you ever lift that disregard for NY schools, you would be an autoadmit at Cornell and many of the lower t14 schools.


I guess I should clarify NY as being NYC... I'll be applying to Cornell, although the IP program is fairly general.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest