NYU Law -- Freaking out over median increases!

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
vsl89

NYU Law -- Freaking out over median increases!

Postby vsl89 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:00 pm

So I needed some advice on what to do. I have a 169 & 4.0 and I was initially planning on ED-ing to NYU , since it was the highest ranked school that I thought I had a chance at. This was due in large part to the fact that I was only 2 pts below the median (which was a 171). Now, that the median has gone up does that mean my chances are drastically worse? I mean, last cycle LSN showed a fair amount of admits w/ my number range, but should I not lean too heavily on that?
For the record, my preference in schools, considering geography, long-term goals, etc is CLS, NYU, UPenn, UVA, UMich, Cornell , & Georgetown. (To be honest, I would only be truly happy attending one of CLS, NYU, UPenn.)
Edit: Retake is not really option, at least not for a few years due to personal reasons, which I care not to dwell on too much here. Thanks for understanding!

bk1

Re: NYU Law -- Freaking out over median increases!

Postby bk1 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:09 pm

Don't worry about it. You're probably still above their 25th so it is fine. The difference is negligible.

vsl89

Postby vsl89 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:01 pm

Don't people usually measure their chances against the medians? In that sense, aren't my chances a little worse? Is there even a difference in difficulty as far as admissions go, then, between CLS & NYU?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:04 pm

vsl89 wrote:Don't people usually measure their chances against the medians? In that sense, aren't my chances a little worse? Is there even a difference in difficulty as far as admissions go, then, between CLS & NYU?

ED to NYU.

People usually measure against the median, but once you're below you're below. The next cut-off is at the 25th. Since you have a 4.0, you'll be a high-GPA splitter and should still have a decent shot.

2ofspades

Postby 2ofspades » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:07 pm

Agree with the above - NYU's new numbers should have no bearing on your strategy. And check out LSN - of NYU/CLS/Penn, NYU was the friendliest to very high 169s last year. It's your best shot anyway.

lawschool2014

Postby lawschool2014 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:23 pm

chill out

ED to NYU and perhaps you will get in. Its a very random admissions process but I assume an ED will make up for otherwise below average credentials.

Have you considered retaking your LSAT to make your more competitive at other programs should NYU not work out?

On a side note, I had a 171 LSAT and 3.8 GPA.... I was wait listed and rejected to NYU. I did manage to get into Columbia. These top 14 law schools are sometimes quite unpredictable.

Return to “What are my chances?”