22 y.o. Single Mom applying to L-school Fall 2011 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
FutureLawyerMama

New

22 y.o. Single Mom applying to L-school Fall 2011

Post by FutureLawyerMama » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:28 pm

Hello everyone,
I have done my research in terms of median GPAs, LSAT scores, competitiveness etc. And am personally thinking my chances for my top schools are slim based on LSAT/gpa ratio alone. I am looking to get a general opinion taking into consideration the bigger picture info i am including. I would appreciate honest and factual opinions and feedback. I am looking for less of a "do you think i will get in?" and more for people who have similar situations who got accepted or any advice what to do in this situation. Thank you in advance and good look to the rest of you out there gunning for 2011 Admission!! :)

So here is the break down:

received my B.A. in English 2010 from City College of New York
was employed FT my entire college career! :/ not conducive to good grades
3.013 GPA - (BARELY - really busted my @$$ to bring it up)
Single mom to infant (currently 10.5 months old)
taking REAL Lsat for 1st time Oct (have been studying since June)/my practice on real LSATs have been an avg of 163 - kinda bleh
I'm African-American
Female (duh) lol

I'm looking to apply mostly in the South - UT austin, Duke, Vanderbilt (t20 schools, i'm not being delusional, i'm curious to know my chances here if everything else is on point) these are my top 3 choices but I am applying for T2 schools here in nyc and in the south/midwest.

I have written a GPA addendum because I barely squeaked by with the 3.0! I had financial constraints and then the pregnancy and birth of my son. I have 3 recommendations.

Also my personal statement is of the tune of how I overcame and got my life back together after an unexpected pregnancy and finished my last year of college pregnant and then with a baby in tow. I am reviewing it with my law advisor and it is in good shape. Thank you again.

sophia.olive

Silver

Re: 22 y.o. Single Mom applying to L-school Fall 2011

Post by sophia.olive » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:35 pm

Good chance at the ones you listed. I think you will get into at least one of the three if you can bump your lsat up a tad. Also if you get your lsat near 170 try NYU, UVA, Georgetown. It will be hard to predict your cycle so get as many free waivers as you can and apply everywhere you would go.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:36 pm

Stop worrying about PS etc.. and focus on the lsat. You will still have a month between test and score to finish everything up.

BLue is hard to read ... I have a headache now.

FutureLawyerMama

New

Post by FutureLawyerMama » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:42 pm

sophia.olive wrote:Stop worrying about PS etc.. and focus on the lsat. You will still have a month between test and score to finish everything up.

BLue is hard to read ... I have a headache now.
sorry about that! forgot the board is kinda blue-ish too. Thanks for the insight, much appreciated!

DeSimone

Bronze

Post by DeSimone » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:42 pm

Write your PS in fluorescent blue and shoot for HYS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:56 pm

FutureLawyerMama,

I would suggest that you try to stay as flexible as you can. Spend your time and energy on what you can do to make a difference, for now that is the LSAT. Put in the time that you can, which I understand that with a young child and a full time job is not that much (I am an old guy, who has been working FT+ for going on 20 years, and now have a 17 month old daughter. Even though my wife is staying home with our child I am tired...), once the test is past then start worrying about your personal statement.

Some schools will not be able to overlook the numbers, but some will. Which schools will fall into which category is very difficult to predict, but if becoming a lawyer is your priority then you will find a way to make it happen.

Happy Hunting,
Last edited by haus on Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:56 pm

Considering that you are a URM, depending on your LSAT score, even with your low GPA, you should have a fighting chance at some t14 and a lot of schools in the t30.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:05 pm

Aim for as high an LSAT as you can, take the LSAT, and get back to us.

PostHawk

New

Post by PostHawk » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:23 pm

You may want to find a way to convince the people reading your application that you will be able to handle raising a small child and the large workload of being a 1L.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LAWLAW09

Bronze

Post by LAWLAW09 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:34 pm

Focus. Study. Relax. Focus. Study. Relax. Focus. Study. Relax.

Good luck.

FutureLawyerMama

New

Post by FutureLawyerMama » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:50 pm

LAWLAW09 wrote:Focus. Study. Relax. Focus. Study. Relax. Focus. Study. Relax.

Good luck.
good mantra and thanks. will update when LSAT score is in. Novemberish i believe.

FutureLawyerMama

New

Post by FutureLawyerMama » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:55 pm

haus wrote:FutureLawyerMama,

I would suggest that you try to stay as flexible as you can. Spend your time and energy on what you can do to make a difference, for now that is the LSAT. Put in the time that you can, which I understand that with a young child and a full time job is not that much (I am an old guy, who has been working FT+ for going on 20 years, and now have a 17 month old daughter. Even though my wife is staying home with our child I am tired...), once the test is past then start worrying about your personal statement.

Some schools will not be able to overlook the numbers, but some will. Which schools will fall into which category is very difficult to predict, but if becoming a lawyer is your priority then you will find a way to make it happen.

Happy Hunting,
I am definitely flexible. The schools I am applying to all have attributes that I believe will positively impact my education, life and future career. I also do believe I can be more than just another body in the school, I'd like to be an active student and bring different insights to the classroom and outside it as well. I agree that now my main focus should be the LSAT. I do understand that numbers play a huge role, so maixmizing my score is a true best bet to help my situation. And lawyering :) if def. a priority to me. Thanks for the advice.

FutureLawyerMama

New

Post by FutureLawyerMama » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:02 am

PostHawk wrote:You may want to find a way to convince the people reading your application that you will be able to handle raising a small child and the large workload of being a 1L.
This is a point to be noted. I'm trying to include that in the personal statement. In regards to my undergrad work, I know what went wrong. I had poor time managment skills. My son was born in the middle of the Fall 2009 semester, but I didn't sit that semester out and instead returned to class 3 weeks later (did assignments from home). Then when Spring came around i was off maternity leave, working 37 hours/week and had a courseload of 18 credits! It's a miracle I made it out alive! lol Torture to say the least. So I'm pretty sure that my 1L year will be like that and worse!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:03 am

I have a 3.05, and 168 average on PTs, placing me (numbers wise) in a similar category to you. Like you, I think I will have a good PS.

Unlike you I am not a URM.

And I still think I have a chance at some of the schools you listed. Maybe not a great chance, but a chance. Honestly, I think your chances are better than mine.

If you study hard for the LSAT and apply broadly my opinion is you will get into one of the better schools.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:07 am

firemedicprelaw wrote:I have a 3.05, and 168 average on PTs, placing me (numbers wise) in a similar category to you. Like you, I think I will have a good PS.

And I still think I have a chance at some of the schools you listed. Maybe not a great chance, but a chance. Honestly, I think your chances are better than mine.

If you study hard for the LSAT and apply broadly my opinion is you will get into one of the better schools.
Non urm? Unless you cured cancer you're going to have a hell of a time breaking t20.

FutureLawyerMama

New

Post by FutureLawyerMama » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:00 am

firemedicprelaw wrote:I have a 3.05, and 168 average on PTs, placing me (numbers wise) in a similar category to you. Like you, I think I will have a good PS.

I still think you will have a good chance. Like me, focus on 170! lol :) As we are similar in #s, just b/c you are not an URM does not mean you have not faced adversity/overcome obstacles in your life. As long as you can shed light to that and show them how you will be an asset to the school, you should have a fighting chance.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:15 am

FutureLawyerMama wrote:

I still think you will have a good chance. Like me, focus on 170! lol :) As we are similar in #s, just b/c you are not an URM does not mean you have not faced adversity/overcome obstacles in your life. As long as you can shed light to that and show them how you will be an asset to the school, you should have a fighting chance.
Dont give him false hope.

If you break into the 170s try harvard. :shock:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:39 am

whymeohgodno wrote:

Non urm? Unless you cured cancer you're going to have a hell of a time breaking t20.
A 3.0+/167+ will have a decent shot at WUSTL, which is currently ranked 19.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:16 am

JusticeHarlan wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

In addition to WUSTL where I feel I have a chance, I also have Cornell if I can break 170 (they seem to like the occasional oddball), Northwestern (over a decade of WE, and I interview well), Vandy and George Washington (if I can break 170) on my list. Sure, I'm not going to a top 10. I made my bed a decade ago... but between a month more to study for the LSAT, an upward trend that is only brought down by mistakes over a decade ago, and a really kick-ass job for the soft factor I think it is at least worth it to apply to these as reaches, with another 5 targets and four safeties. But hey whymeohgodno and sofia.olive... way to express optimism.

All the people on here who cynically predict that no one in the top 25 will take someone with a low GPA are proven wrong about 1/10th of the time every damn year. Just throwing that out there. As a metaphor, consider D-Day... sure the first wave took 90% casualties. I am sure the German commanders were proud of the fact that they destroyed the invasion force... until some PO'd private from BFE tossed a grenade in their bunker.

Should people with bad stats get their hopes up super high? No. Should they avoid applying to third and even fourth tier safeties? No. Should they target and apply to a couple very high reaches? Yes. If you don't apply you won't get in. And while it isn't likely... it could still happen. I know that if I went to Cornell or WUSTL or GW or any other T20 that I would understand exactly how lucky I was, and use my opportunity in a way a lot of people who didn't have a doubt in their minds wouldn't.

So, in summation: Whatever, Doubters. See you in law school.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:24 am

Since you're looking to go to law school in the South, aim for the best one--UVA. I know that we are a school that will definitely overlook a low GPA if it's combined with a high LSAT, a good reason for it, and a strong PS. If you can pull a 167 I think you will have a great shot at getting in. Also Charlottesville is probably one of the best places for a single mom to attend law school. It's safe and it isn't a fast paced locale. Also I with you being a single mom, the fact that our LRW is P/F will be particularly helpful (UT, Duke, and Vandy all have graded LRW; in addition to them being less respected in the legal community).

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:35 am

firemedicprelaw wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

In addition to WUSTL where I feel I have a chance, I also have Cornell if I can break 170 (they seem to like the occasional oddball), Northwestern (over a decade of WE, and I interview well), Vandy and George Washington (if I can break 170) on my list. Sure, I'm not going to a top 10. I made my bed a decade ago... but between a month more to study for the LSAT, an upward trend that is only brought down by mistakes over a decade ago, and a really kick-ass job for the soft factor I think it is at least worth it to apply to these as reaches, with another 5 targets and four safeties. But hey whymeohgodno and sofia.olive... way to express optimism.

All the people on here who cynically predict that no one in the top 25 will take someone with a low GPA are proven wrong about 1/10th of the time every damn year. Just throwing that out there. As a metaphor, consider D-Day... sure the first wave took 90% casualties. I am sure the German commanders were proud of the fact that they destroyed the invasion force... until some PO'd private from BFE tossed a grenade in their bunker.

Should people with bad stats get their hopes up super high? No. Should they avoid applying to third and even fourth tier safeties? No. Should they target and apply to a couple very high reaches? Yes. If you don't apply you won't get in. And while it isn't likely... it could still happen. I know that if I went to Cornell or WUSTL or GW or any other T20 that I would understand exactly how lucky I was, and use my opportunity in a way a lot of people who didn't have a doubt in their minds wouldn't.

So, in summation: Whatever, Doubters. See you in law school.
um.... Liked the metaphor, the bravado.....

you haven't even taken the lsat, right. So when you say, "Someone with a low gpa" are you assuming they have a high lsat. Right now you are around 168 and the average person drops a point or two in the real thing. The people that are making it into top schools with low gpa's are normally in the 170+. So drive this last month home!!!!!

Anyways, I was more responding to the connotation I thought i detected in single mom that you guys had similar chances. Which is why i said dont get his hopes up. Sure you have some good chances especially if you break 170 but if you guys had the same numbers you will not be going to the same law school, most likely.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:41 am

BruceWayne wrote:Since you're looking to go to law school in the South, aim for the best one--UVA. I know that we are a school that will definitely overlook a low GPA if it's combined with a high LSAT, a good reason for it, and a strong PS. If you can pull a 167 I think you will have a great shot at getting in. Also Charlottesville is probably one of the best places for a single mom to attend law school. It's safe and it isn't a fast paced locale. Also I with you being a single mom, the fact that our LRW is P/F will be particularly helpful (UT, Duke, and Vandy all have graded LRW; in addition to them being less respected in the legal community).
+1 And I think WUSTL is a good safety and place to look for some money. I don't know, but I imagine STL is a pleasant mid-west town.

Azmatt

Bronze

Post by Azmatt » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:47 am

Doesn't everyone break 170?

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:51 am

Azmatt wrote:Doesn't everyone break 170?
You would think so from all the posts on TLS.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:51 am

I hope this is not inappropriate but nothing is hotter than a single mom kicking ass and going to a top law school :oops:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”