Eh, let me know what you think

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
oshberg28

Eh, let me know what you think

Postby oshberg28 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:03 pm

I've checked all the predictors, so there's not much reason in asking everyone. But, may as well do it to see what you all think.

164, 3.84 LSAC GPA (from top 20 business school) - I know many will tell me to "retake" - I won't for this cycle...maybe next cycle if I'm not satisfied with where I've been admitted.
3 years WE
Non-URM
Softs - average to above average

Looking to work either in the D.C. area or the Midwest.

I live in Virginia (won't be ED'ing to UVA, but sending in an application anyway - don't expect to get in at all)

Cornell University (brother is an undergrad alumnus - probably won't help)
Vanderbilt (chances not looking good here - their LSAT median jumped yet again)
Univ. of Minnesota
UIUC
WUSTL (I'm from St. Louis)
Notre Dame
BC
Georgetown (PT - this could be interesting, but still don't expect to get accepted)
George Washington (PT)
College of William and Mary
Indiana University

From the above list, I'm hoping to get accepted by 2-4 of them
My "safeties"
George Mason
American
St. Louis University

Xaintes

Re: Eh, let me know what you think

Postby Xaintes » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:28 pm

Just curious - is there a reason you're not ED-ing to UVA?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:30 pm

Xaintes wrote:Just curious - is there a reason you're not ED-ing to UVA?

oshberg28

Postby oshberg28 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:58 pm

bk1 wrote:

Yes. In-state tuition is $42,500; I don't want my future to be decided for me (there are one or two schools on my list that I would take over UVA - rankings are not the be all and end all for me); I like having options. Plus, I have a great full-time job right now - if I get into the PT GULC program, I could work part-time.

Just my personal preference. I'm less worried about getting into the best school than getting into the school that is right for me. It's all about having flexibility.

2ofspades

Postby 2ofspades » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:33 pm

oshberg28 wrote:I'm less worried about getting into the best school than getting into the school that is right for me. It's all about having flexibility.

I'm not sure these statements quite go together. There's certainly something to be said for going to a lower-ranked school if you have a good idea of what you want to do and know how the school will help you reach your goals. But if you want flexibility, a higher-ranked school will open more doors.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:37 pm

2ofspades wrote:
oshberg28 wrote:I'm less worried about getting into the best school than getting into the school that is right for me. It's all about having flexibility.

I'm not sure these statements quite go together. There's certainly something to be said for going to a lower-ranked school if you have a good idea of what you want to do and know how the school will help you reach your goals. But if you want flexibility, a higher-ranked school will open more doors.

Probably credited for most, but not in this situation. I think the OP means the flexibility a school can offer while there, not after. I think the OP is looking for certain things from the experience like being able to work, and wants a school that might be able to offer that. But the point about options after graduation is a good one.

oshberg28

Postby oshberg28 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:35 pm

Rand M. wrote:
2ofspades wrote:

Probably credited for most, but not in this situation. I think the OP means the flexibility a school can offer while there, not after. I think the OP is looking for certain things from the experience like being able to work, and wants a school that might be able to offer that. But the point about options after graduation is a good one.

Right - mostly I meant that I want flexibility in choosing a school. If I ED, I'd be obligated to attend even if I get accepted into a school ranked a bit lower by U.S. News, yet ranked a bit higher by me (what if I were to get accepted into a T-25 with a huge scholarship, yet am obligated to attend UVA which will result in being $100,000 in debt?). To each his own, and I've noticed that many on here are obsessed with rankings - I'm not. I suppose part of that has to do with the fact that I have a great job already - not quite what I want to do long-term, but I can easily make a career out of it. As for a higher ranked school opening more doors - this is perhaps true to an extent, but current undergrads should be careful about this. You have to open doors on your own, too. Merely attending a high ranked school isn't going to hand you anything other than a piece of paper with your name and the law school's name on it.

BTW - I'm not interested in biglaw.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:55 pm

you are looking at midwest, but no iowa, wisconsin, or ohio state? you'd have a decent shot at a full ride for iowa if they continue their practice of almost exclusively giving out full rides.

oshberg28

Postby oshberg28 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:59 pm

traehekat wrote:you are looking at midwest, but no iowa, wisconsin, or ohio state? you'd have a decent shot at a full ride for iowa if they continue their practice of almost exclusively giving out full rides.

I've thought about Iowa and Wisconsin - I'll definitely give more thought to Iowa though. Thanks.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:20 am

I'm obsessed with placement power. It's an unhealthy obsession.

EDIT: To be serious though, it's not like biglaw is the only part of the legal profession that values prestige.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:21 am

oshberg28 wrote:164, 3.84 LSAC GPA (from top 20 business school)

Because OP's GPA is just below the median.

Return to “What are my chances?”