3.48/180 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
NDPhil

New

Re: 3.48/180

Post by NDPhil » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:13 pm

To weigh-in on the actual purpose of this thread, I doubt HYS will happen, but I don't think an application to H is a complete waste of time. FWIW: I did not get into any of the three schools.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:13 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
bk187 wrote:When people say ridiculously stupid things, they deserve ridicule and shame. This is the internet, not Miss Polly's kindergarten class.

Also, you do realize this subforum, and most of TLS in general, is geared towards law school applicants and not students? That makes a big difference in the kind of language used. But what para said is most apt, that you use different language in different situations. We are talking about admissions here, not briefing a case or reading a memo. Human beings who have the least sense of decency understand that you need to be able to shift your language depending on the context you are in, but it is idiots like the attacked poster who try and reinforce their image of superiority by using language just to show off.
Agree with your sentiment, but the ad homs take away from it IMO.

(Please don't call me pretentious for saying ad hom! :P)
:lol:

I think it was entirely appropriate in this context. For the record, as frequently as I disagree with you, letters and numbers, I don't think you're a douchetruck of any sort.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:14 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:Agree with your sentiment, but the ad homs take away from it IMO.

(Please don't call me pretentious for saying ad hom! :P)
Haha that wasn't at you. I, and others, are likely more okay with it when the speaker isn't saying something phenomenally dumb.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:16 pm

NDPhil wrote:To weigh-in on the actual purpose of this thread, I doubt HYS will happen, but I don't think an application to H is a complete waste of time.
Agreed.

NDPhil

New

Post by NDPhil » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:16 pm

Also, you do realize this subforum, and most of TLS in general, is geared towards law school applicants and not students? That makes a big difference in the kind of language used. But what para said is most apt, that you use different language in different situations.
Be that as it may, if an aspiring law school student does not understand the term "ceteris paribus," much less a current law student at WASH STL, then law school may not be for him.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:20 pm

paratactical wrote: :lol:

I think it was entirely appropriate in this context. For the record, as frequently as I disagree with you, letters and numbers, I don't think you're a douchetruck of any sort.
Aw, thanks. We do seem to disagree a lot, don't we?

To weigh-in on the actual purpose of this thread, I doubt HYS will happen, but I don't think an application to H is a complete waste of time. FWIW: I did not get into any of the three schools.
Talk about a rabbit trail. Sorry, haydee! FWIW, I have similar numbers (3.6x, 177-180), and I'm applying to HYS but expecting Columbia. In your situation, I think H is the only one worth the app fee. LSN is super grim for even my GPA at YS.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:21 pm

NDPhil wrote:Be that as it may, if an aspiring law school student does not understand the term "ceteris paribus," much less a current law student at WASH STL, then law school may not be for him.
I would think the overwhelming majority of entering 1L's, even at the T14, have never heard the term.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:22 pm

bk187 wrote:
NDPhil wrote:Be that as it may, if an aspiring law school student does not understand the term "ceteris paribus," much less a current law student at WASH STL, then law school may not be for him.
I would think the overwhelming majority of entering 1L's, even at the T14, have never heard the term.
:shock:

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:25 pm

What common thread would expose a majority of entering law students to the term?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NDPhil

New

Post by NDPhil » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:27 pm

I hope this is not true. If it is, then the overwhelming majority of entering L1's is pretty stupid, and hopefully a few 1L's are getting a good undergraduate education.
What common thread would expose a majority of entering law students to the term?
A book. One critical-thinking course. You know, the sort of things you are exposed to in college.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:30 pm

Maybe I just don't have a high estimation of humanity whether it be the general public or law students.

It's not like getting a high GPA or LSAT requires enjoying outside philosophical reading all that much.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:31 pm

NDPhil wrote:
A book. One critical-thinking course. You know, the sort of things you are exposed to in college.
I never came across the term in any of my college experiences and I would doubt that I am in the minority in this regard.

NDPhil

New

Post by NDPhil » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:32 pm

It's not like getting a high GPA or LSAT requires enjoying outside philosophical reading all that much.
Then you confirm the suspicion that high GPA's and LSAT's really don't say much about intelligence.

If you think getting a grasp on "ceteris paribus" requires outside philosophical reading, then it appears you count yourself among the overwhelming majority of 1L's. You do attend your classes and read your readings at UC Davis, right?

I never came across the term in any of my college experiences and I would doubt that I am in the minority in this regard.
It's essential terminology in basic economics, law, physics, and philosophy. Surely you took a course in one of these areas.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:34 pm

NDPhil wrote:
If you think getting a grasp on "ceteris paribus" requires outside philosophical reading, then it appears you count yourself among the overwhelming majority of 1L's. You do attend your classes and read your readings at UC Davis, right?

--ImageRemoved--

NDPhil

New

Post by NDPhil » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:36 pm

paratactical wrote:
NDPhil wrote:

--ImageRemoved--
Once more, a brilliant escape from debate! You will dazzle your law professors!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:36 pm

NDPhil wrote:If you think getting a grasp on "ceteris paribus" requires outside philosophical reading, then it appears you count yourself among the overwhelming majority of 1L's. You do attend your classes and read your readings at UC Davis, right?
I didn't say grasp, I said exposure. Having attended class and read for them...
NDPhil wrote:It's essential terminology in basic economics, law, physics, and philosophy. Surely you took a course in one of these areas.
I haven't found this is true at all.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:37 pm

NDPhil wrote:
It's essential terminology in basic economics, law, physics, and philosophy. Surely you took a course in one of these areas.
It wasn't in the econ or the philosophy class I took.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NDPhil

New

Post by NDPhil » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:38 pm

Then you haven't been reading. Here, let's make this easier: Google the term. Then you can get your exposure.
It wasn't in the econ or the philosophy class I took.
That could explain why you can't put together a coherent argument--you were doing graphic design during those classes!

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:39 pm

NDPhil wrote:
Then you haven't been reading. Here, let's make this easier: Google the term. Then you can get your exposure.
Man, you are just hell bent on being a jerk, aren't you?

If you want to make the argument that a person of reasonable intelligence can learn the term when they come across it, that's fine, but to demand that everyone who doesn't know a term doesn't read or isn't a well educated as you is downright silly.

NDPhil

New

Post by NDPhil » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:42 pm

Man, you are just hell bent on being a jerk, aren't you?
Aw, you can make fun of people with graphic art but your feelings get hurt when someone points out that you're not very clever? I know, put me on one your lists that you make for people who hurt your feelings.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:42 pm

NDPhil wrote:Then you haven't been reading. Here, let's make this easier: Google the term. Then you can get your exposure.
You just don't get it do you?

The point is whether or not intro courses in those areas often teach it. I said for an overwhelming majority of the time they don't. You're claiming that 100% of the time, without exception, they do because it is integral to an intro course in those areas. I may be wrong but I can guarantee you that there is no way you are right.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:44 pm

LOLOLOL just noticed this absurdly stupid and unnecessary swipe at me.

What gave you the impression that I don't understand it? I knew what the term meant just fine. Just because I think it is retarded to say something doesn't mean I don't understand it. I thought that inter alia guy from a few months back was a pretty big tool too, and I knew what that term meant. I also think people who try to be funny by making law school jokes IRL are pretty stupid too, but that doesn't mean I don't get it.
Last edited by romothesavior on Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NDPhil

New

Post by NDPhil » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:44 pm

The point is whether or not intro courses in those areas often teach it. I said for an overwhelming majority of the time they don't. You're claiming that 100% of the time, without exception, they do because it is integral to an intro course in those areas. I may be wrong but I can guarantee you that there is no way you are right.
That sounds like a great way to spend your time. But...first thing's first...do your Google research on "ceteris paribus." It seems that you're not quite ready to look through your textbooks for the answer just yet.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:45 pm

romothesavior wrote:
LOLOLOL just noticed this absurdly stupid and unnecessary swipe at me.

What gave you the impression that I don't understand it? I knew what the term meant just fine. Just because I think it is retarded to say something doesn't mean I don't understand it. I thought that inter alia guy from a few months back was a pretty big tool too, and I knew what that term meant. I also think people who try to be funny by making law school jokes IRL are pretty stupid too, but that doesn't mean I don't get it.
I avoided saying this because it will just serve as fodder for the douche.

NDPhil

New

Post by NDPhil » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:47 pm

What gave you the impression that I don't understand it?
Oh, I don't know...misspelling the phrase initially set me off. Then your lack of coherent argument as to what the problem with the term is. Then I saw that you are spending most of your Friday afternoon trying to look like you know what it means, which is usually a sign that you're compensating for a lack. Maybe you should spend less time telling people who have better numbers than you which schools they won't get into and more time reading law books. But I wish you the best for whenever you decide to open a law book.
Last edited by NDPhil on Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”