3.48/180

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
haydee
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:57 pm

3.48/180

Postby haydee » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:17 am

3.48 / 180 / Non-URM / Average to weak softs / Out of UG for about 3 years

Should I even bother with HYS?

What about UVA? Michigan? Cornell?

Hourumd isn't much help, and LSP gives me a "strong consider" everywhere but YLS, which I think is a little optimistic... I feel like I've gotten as much insight as I can from calculators, and could use some actual people.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 3.48/180

Postby romothesavior » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:32 am

Apply everywhere you so desire, including HYS. I don't think your odds at those three are good since they seem to have pretty firm GPA floors, but you should at least try it. I'd imagine that one of CCN will bite, and the lower half of the T14 will throw some serious dough at you. A 180 is very impressive, and it isn't like your GPA is atrocious... low, but not atrocious.

What did you do with your three years off?

User avatar
haydee
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:57 pm

Re: 3.48/180

Postby haydee » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:44 am

romothesavior wrote:What did you do with your three years off?


Nothing to throw a parade over. I moved out-of-state and since then I've been working full-time, but it's not like I founded a non-profit that builds homeless shelters out of recycled materials and then teaches the residents to mentor underprivileged children. Mostly restaurants. I don't think anyone on adcomms is going to be going, "Oooooh, a WAITRESS!"

I have some volunteer work and I took a class last semester to get an academic LoR, but that's about all I can do.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 3.48/180

Postby romothesavior » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:46 am

haydee wrote:
romothesavior wrote:What did you do with your three years off?


Nothing to throw a parade over. I moved out-of-state and since then I've been working full-time, but it's not like I founded a non-profit that builds homeless shelters out of recycled materials and then teaches the residents to mentor underprivileged children. Mostly restaurants. I don't think anyone on adcomms is going to be going, "Oooooh, a WAITRESS!"

I have some volunteer work and I took a class last semester to get an academic LoR, but that's about all I can do.


Well in any case, your 180 is still going to take you far. Probably won't take you to Cambridge or New Haven, but it will get you some good scholarships at some really good schools.

User avatar
Haribo
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:47 pm

Re: 3.48/180

Postby Haribo » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:37 pm

If you're curious about HYS, you can throw the $300 application fee away on a Hail Mary, but it's probably a lost cause.

CCN and below are certainly worth the application.

User avatar
2ofspades
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: 3.48/180

Postby 2ofspades » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:49 pm


User avatar
haydee
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:57 pm

Re: 3.48/180

Postby haydee » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:12 pm

The waitress can't really justify a $300 Hail Mary.

Especially when there is apparently good $$ to be had in Ann Arbor.

User avatar
straxen
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:39 am

Re: 3.48/180

Postby straxen » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:21 pm

We have very similar numbers and we seem to be in a bit of an odd place on the grid, I'm 3.49/178/Decent Softs. I'm a 1L at NYU. Don't settle for anything less than CCN (ED may help) or a substantial scholarship at another T-14, though GPA seems to render the latter difficult.

And yeah, HYS is out.

User avatar
jayn3
Posts: 667
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: 3.48/180

Postby jayn3 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:26 pm

straxen wrote:We have very similar numbers and we seem to be in a bit of an odd place on the grid, I'm 3.49/178/Decent Softs. I'm a 1L at NYU. Don't settle for anything less than CCN (ED may help) or a substantial scholarship at another T-14, though GPA seems to render the latter difficult.

And yeah, HYS is out was out for me.

sorry to be a douche, but OP's experience and yours may be entirely different.

User avatar
straxen
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:39 am

Re: 3.48/180

Postby straxen » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:38 pm

jayn3 wrote:
straxen wrote:We have very similar numbers and we seem to be in a bit of an odd place on the grid, I'm 3.49/178/Decent Softs. I'm a 1L at NYU. Don't settle for anything less than CCN (ED may help) or a substantial scholarship at another T-14, though GPA seems to render the latter difficult.

And yeah, HYS is out was out for me.

sorry to be a douche, but OP's experience and yours may be entirely different.


HYS is out for a non-URM with a 3.48 absent extraordinary softs.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 3.48/180

Postby romothesavior » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:45 pm

straxen wrote:
jayn3 wrote:
straxen wrote:We have very similar numbers and we seem to be in a bit of an odd place on the grid, I'm 3.49/178/Decent Softs. I'm a 1L at NYU. Don't settle for anything less than CCN (ED may help) or a substantial scholarship at another T-14, though GPA seems to render the latter difficult.

And yeah, HYS is out was out for me.

sorry to be a douche, but OP's experience and yours may be entirely different.


HYS is out for a non-URM with a 3.48 absent extraordinary softs.


This is very, very likely true.

User avatar
hellojd
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:29 pm

Re: 3.48/180

Postby hellojd » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:14 am

romothesavior wrote:
straxen wrote:
jayn3 wrote:
straxen wrote:We have very similar numbers and we seem to be in a bit of an odd place on the grid, I'm 3.49/178/Decent Softs. I'm a 1L at NYU. Don't settle for anything less than CCN (ED may help) or a substantial scholarship at another T-14, though GPA seems to render the latter difficult.

And yeah, HYS is out was out for me.

sorry to be a douche, but OP's experience and yours may be entirely different.


HYS is out for a non-URM with a 3.48 absent extraordinary softs.


This is very, very likely true.


why you gotta be like that

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 3.48/180

Postby romothesavior » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:25 am

hellojd wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
straxen wrote:HYS is out for a non-URM with a 3.48 absent extraordinary softs.


This is very, very likely true.


why you gotta be like that


Be like what? OP asked for honest advice on her chances, and made it sound like she doesn't want to spend money on schools that are out of her range. HYS is almost certainly out of her range with her GPA. That's just the honest truth. (Personally, I'd still apply and give it a shot on those three, but OP should be fully prepared for rejection from HYS if she does apply.)

She'll probably get some great acceptances and some great schollies at other top schools though.

User avatar
daesonesb
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: 3.48/180

Postby daesonesb » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:40 am

I think that a small chance of admission justifies the cost. Esp if you spend a long time working on your application.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: 3.48/180

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:57 pm

Look at LSN people, HYS is out. But I would expet at least one of CCN and definite money at MVPD

dissonance1848
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: 3.48/180

Postby dissonance1848 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:34 pm

OP should ED to either UofC or CLS. Choose one and enjoy. Can't see how OP isn't a lock for either with ED, unless they want lots of cash from lower T14.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 3.48/180

Postby 09042014 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:42 pm

I wouldn't waste the money at HLS, and Stanford but if you have a hundred bucks each laying around why the fuck not, and I wouldn't waste the effort on a Yale app. It requires too much extra effort (Yale 250, etc etc).

User avatar
Entchen
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: 3.48/180

Postby Entchen » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:47 pm

Hi. We corresponded a bit on LSN. :)

I think you are the closest I have to a numbers twin. Your LSAT is a couple of point higher, of course, but with GPA and everything, I'd say our chances at various places are probably fairly similar.

I am not planning to apply to HYS - looking on LSN, it seems like our chances would be basically nonexistent, so I don't want to just hand them my $80 as a present. That said, your chances everywhere else, except Berkley, seem pretty decent. We have similar taste - UVA, Michigan, and Cornell are actually among my favorites of the Top 14. I predict you'll do quite well at those, with a reasonable chance at getting at least some money. At least that's what I'm hoping for for myself!

Good luck!

User avatar
haydee
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:57 pm

Re: 3.48/180

Postby haydee » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:31 pm

Entchen wrote:Hi. We corresponded a bit on LSN. :)

I think you are the closest I have to a numbers twin. Your LSAT is a couple of point higher, of course, but with GPA and everything, I'd say our chances at various places are probably fairly similar.

I am not planning to apply to HYS - looking on LSN, it seems like our chances would be basically nonexistent, so I don't want to just hand them my $80 as a present. That said, your chances everywhere else, except Berkley, seem pretty decent. We have similar taste - UVA, Michigan, and Cornell are actually among my favorites of the Top 14. I predict you'll do quite well at those, with a reasonable chance at getting at least some money. At least that's what I'm hoping for for myself!

Good luck!


Hey, numbers twin! I decided to apply to HLS anyway. I figure it's a small price to pay for the satisfaction of knowing that I didn't get in because my GPA is lousy, and not because I didn't even apply.

I have ~0% interest in applying ED anywhere. I'm just not willing to give up my options and forfeit any scholarships I might be able to pull in. I'm not interested in BigLaw, and debt frightens me.

Sometimes us splitters get anxious, and I am prone to freaking out and convincing myself that I'm going to be completely locked out of every school I'd like to attend. I figured HYS was out, but it's nice to get a little reassurance that my chances at Michigan, Virginia, and Cornell look decent.

User avatar
KMaine
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: 3.48/180

Postby KMaine » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:45 pm

haydee wrote:I have ~0% interest in applying ED anywhere. I'm just not willing to give up my options and forfeit any scholarships I might be able to pull in. I'm not interested in BigLaw, and debt frightens me.


This sounds smart to me. Don't see why you would ED and go into all of that debt when you could probably get an amazing education at a discount. However, if you know that you are interested in PI or some such do a little research on loan repayment programs to see if you may rather go higher in the rankings. Good luck.

dissonance1848
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: 3.48/180

Postby dissonance1848 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:49 pm

Done. OP is going to get a shitload of money from Michigan, UVA, Duke, NU or Gtown. Have fun paying no tuition for law school!

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 3.48/180

Postby 09042014 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:07 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:Done. OP is going to get a shitload of money from Michigan, UVA, Duke, NU or Gtown. Have fun paying no tuition for law school!



60-75 at UVA, Mich, Duke or NU

Maybe more at GULC, but prob not.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: 3.48/180

Postby sundance95 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:25 pm

haydee wrote:
romothesavior wrote:What did you do with your three years off?


Nothing to throw a parade over. I moved out-of-state and since then I've been working full-time, but it's not like I founded a non-profit that builds homeless shelters out of recycled materials and then teaches the residents to mentor underprivileged children. Mostly restaurants. I don't think anyone on adcomms is going to be going, "Oooooh, a WAITRESS!"

I have some volunteer work and I took a class last semester to get an academic LoR, but that's about all I can do.


I think you are selling this short, actually. How many apps to top schools do you think are from waitresses? I think you could make a compelling PS out of this.

Anyway, HYS can't accept you if you don't give them a shot. If you apply and get rejected, at least you won't look back and wonder what if.

If no HYS, however, following the $ is credited.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: 3.48/180

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:11 pm

Retake.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 3.48/180

Postby romothesavior » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:15 pm

sundance95 wrote:
I think you are selling this short, actually. How many apps to top schools do you think are from waitresses? I think you could make a compelling PS out of this.


Uh... no.

I don't think her serving experience will hurt (WE really is nothing but a bonus), but she is not unique for being a server. I'd bet ~50% of law school applicants have some restaurant or serving experience, and it is probably 75% or more when you throw retail in there. These jobs are not unique.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest