What are my chances/Where to apply?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
schand

What are my chances/Where to apply?

Postby schand » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:31 pm

Ok, so going to law school has been one of my goals. Here's the skinny. I didn't do so hot on my lsats (I studied adequately, but just couldn't cut it), and a decent gpa from a state school (155/3.6). I want to go to a tier 1 law school... at least one that is in the NJ/NY/CT/PA area. I have what some would say amazing softs. I worked for my Governor straight out of college (as a matter of fact, began working before I graduated), played a huge role on his campaign, helped grow a nonprofit organization targeted towards South Asian/Middle eastern women, among other things. I know I have great recommendations. I'm extremely proactive, but want to use law to make greater impacts. What schools are most receptive of these characteristics? What schools do you think are a good fit and may accept me? I am absolutely bent on going to law school, so if it means going to a tier 3/4, so be it! I'm going to change the world, dammit.

Thank you in advance for your responses :)

schand

Re: What are my chances/Where to apply?

Postby schand » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:32 pm

Oh, I'm also starting an Americorps program in NYC this fall

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:41 pm

If you're serious about going to law school and having the opportunity to change the world, then retake the LSAT. You have a decent GPA, good softs/work experience, and a terrible LSAT score. Taking the time now to study and retake will pay off for the rest of your life.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:43 pm

If a retake is possible, I highly recommend it as it can drastically alter the types of schools you could get into.

Also, tier 1 doesn't really mean much. It's not like the employment prospects of schools 41-50 are much different than schools ranked 51-60.

schand

Postby schand » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:30 pm

I have studied an incredible amount for this damn exam, and just can't do it anymore. At this point if I took it again, I don't think it will help. Do you think I could get into Rutgers Law?

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:45 pm

schand wrote:I have studied an incredible amount for this damn exam, and just can't do it anymore. At this point if I took it again, I don't think it will help. Do you think I could get into Rutgers Law?

What did your study routine consist of? How many months did you prep? A 155 is not gonna cut it at most (any?) top schools, and your job opportunities at a T3/4 will be very poor, if not nonexistent. If you can't (or won't) retake, you're probably better off sticking with your political/nonprofit/etc jobs.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:47 pm

Retake or don't bother.

Also, it's probably way easier to change the world doing what you're doing than by going to law school.

schand

Postby schand » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:13 pm

beachbum wrote:
schand wrote:I have studied an incredible amount for this damn exam, and just can't do it anymore. At this point if I took it again, I don't think it will help. Do you think I could get into Rutgers Law?

What did your study routine consist of? How many months did you prep? A 155 is not gonna cut it at most (any?) top schools, and your job opportunities at a T3/4 will be very poor, if not nonexistent. If you can't (or won't) retake, you're probably better off sticking with your political/nonprofit/etc jobs.

I find these sorts of responses quite interesting actually. I'm not exactly looking to work in a top law firm in New York or elsewhere and make loads of money. I believe that law school will endow me with the critical thinking and knowledge of the law to be able to advocate for people on a larger scale. You go to school to seek knowledge and grow your mental capacity. So if I don't make it into a t14, why settle and not go to law school? Isn't learning power? JD is a powerful degree.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:16 pm

schand wrote:
beachbum wrote:

I find these sorts of responses quite interesting actually. I'm not exactly looking to work in a top law firm in New York or elsewhere and make loads of money. I believe that law school will endow me with the critical thinking and knowledge of the law to be able to advocate for people on a larger scale. You go to school to seek knowledge and grow your mental capacity. So if I don't make it into a t14, why settle and not go to law school? Isn't learning power? JD is a powerful degree.

Explain to me how you are going to use your law degree to advocate for people on a large scale and make a difference.

Really, you currently sound like a disillusioned child destined to end up deeply in debt and living at home with your parents.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:01 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
schand wrote:
beachbum wrote:

Explain to me how you are going to use your law degree to advocate for people on a large scale and make a difference.

Really, you currently sound like a disillusioned child destined to end up deeply in debt and living at home with your parents.

Yup. A JD is not the ticket you think it is. I'll grant you that in terms of quality of education, there's going to be a far shorter divide between a top school and a TTT than their rank would indicate. However, the difference in job prospects is highly, highly pronounced.

So you can accomplish your first goal (growing your knowledge/mental capacity) at most (if not all) accredited schools. Your second goal (changing the world/helping people) is far, far less manageable at a TTT than it is at a top school (and I'm not even talking T14; strong regional schools will certainly suffice). Top schools will allow you meaningful employment opportunities in government and public interest; the schools you'd be looking at will allow you employment opportunities fixing traffic tickets or doing doc review.

As it stands, you're approaching things with a great deal of naivete. I realize you don't want to be told what we're telling you, but it pays to be realistic when you're on the verge of such a life-altering decision. So I'll go back to my previous advice: retake or reconsider law school.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:14 pm

Seton Hall
St. Johns
Rutgers
Hofstra
Penn State - reach
None of which are T1 though.

afcanoe

Postby afcanoe » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:32 pm

beachbum wrote:
Yup. A JD is not the ticket you think it is. I'll grant you that in terms of quality of education, there's going to be a far shorter divide between a top school and a TTT than their rank would indicate. However, the difference in job prospects is highly, highly pronounced.

So you can accomplish your first goal (growing your knowledge/mental capacity) at most (if not all) accredited schools. Your second goal (changing the world/helping people) is far, far less manageable at a TTT than it is at a top school (and I'm not even talking T14; strong regional schools will certainly suffice). Top schools will allow you meaningful employment opportunities in government and public interest; the schools you'd be looking at will allow you employment opportunities fixing traffic tickets or doing doc review.

As it stands, you're approaching things with a great deal of naivete. I realize you don't want to be told what we're telling you, but it pays to be realistic when you're on the verge of such a life-altering decision. So I'll go back to my previous advice: retake or reconsider law school.

+1. Good job prospects do not necessarily mean Biglaw or big $$$. Attending a top LS will help your job prospects in all areas of legal employment. Retake.

moopness

Postby moopness » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:37 pm

Return to “What are my chances?”