3.5/157 Chances

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Spinozist21

3.5/157 Chances

Postby Spinozist21 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:59 pm

Hi guys. I am kind of new here, although I have posted once or twice before. I am hoping to get you guys to tell me my chances to some schools I plan to apply to.

I have attended two top 25 institutions. My GPA is around a 3.5...that includes a terrible semester the first semester after my transfer (like 2.6 bad) or otherwise my GPA would be a 3.65-3.7.

I took the LSAT in June and got a 157. I am retaking it in October and hope to improve on that obviously...so please no simple "retake LSAT" responses because not only are those responses patronizing they are also extremely unhelpful (and that is really what we are here to do).

The schools I plan to apply to:
ED to U. Pittsburgh
Loyola Chicago
IIT Kent-Chicago
Villanova
Rutgers-Camden
Catholic
St. Louis--joint J.D./PhD

Thank you in advance for all the help.

GettingReady2010

Re: 3.5/157 Chances

Postby GettingReady2010 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:08 pm

LOL about your "retake" point. It seems that it has become trendy on TLS for people to say, "retake and get a 175." In some twisted way I think it make them feel better about themselves. I'm as sick of it as you. Rant/

That's an interesting list of schools. Where are you from, out of curiosity. I don't know your chances, but have you checked out lawschoolnumbers.com? That will give you a very good idea.

Also, what's this about JD/PhD? Are you planning on teaching or something?

am060459

Postby am060459 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:09 pm

hows the study going for retake? do you see any significant improvement?

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:14 pm

am060459 wrote:hows the study going for retake? do you see any significant improvement?

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

There is always one :wink: :lol:

Its going OK...I never like to bank on improvement though...I'd rather see where I fit with what I already have.

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:20 pm

GettingReady2010 wrote:LOL about your "retake" point. It seems that it has become trendy on TLS for people to say, "retake and get a 175." In some twisted way I think it make them feel better about themselves. I'm as sick of it as you. Rant/

That's an interesting list of schools. Where are you from, out of curiosity. I don't know your chances, but have you checked out lawschoolnumbers.com? That will give you a very good idea.

Also, what's this about JD/PhD? Are you planning on teaching or something?

I am actually from Pennsylvania originally. I have been living in Nashville as I have been attending Vanderbilt and experiencing grade deflation for the last 2 years. :lol:

I actually got married young, no kids just chose to get married young...and I am applying to areas that my wife is also looking/applying for her PhD.

About the JD/PhD...I am a Philosophy major and regardless will pursue a PhD in either theoretical ethics (metaethics and normative theory) or applied ethics (specifically bioethics as I have not only a passion but I have experience with it as I worked at the Kennedy Institute of Ethics while at Georgetown University). If I went to SLU I would do a joint health law JD and an applied ethics medical ethics PhD. I know the director personally.

Cardboardbox

Postby Cardboardbox » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:00 am

Spinozist21 wrote:Its going OK...I never like to bank on improvement though...I'd rather see where I fit with what I already have.

Sorry to come out of the blue, but you should bank improvement! I felt that way after my first LSAT when I didn't do as well as I had hoped. After trying a little harder (not as hard as I should have but still I'm at my dream school anyways so I can't complain :D) I went up 5 points on my second try and it completely changed the schools that were available to me (as well as scholarship amounts at school that were previously targets).

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:03 am

Cardboardbox wrote:
Spinozist21 wrote:Its going OK...I never like to bank on improvement though...I'd rather see where I fit with what I already have.

Sorry to come out of the blue, but you should bank improvement! I felt that way after my first LSAT when I didn't do as well as I had hoped. After trying a little harder (not as hard as I should have but still I'm at my dream school anyways so I can't complain :D) I went up 5 points on my second try and it completely changed the schools that were available to me (as well as scholarship amounts at school that were previously targets).

And this is all very well possible. I, however, am a planner and I would like to have the majority of my applications done (all but LSAT complete) before I get my October LSAT scores back. That means that I need to figure out if I am shooting too high with any of these schools. They seem within the general range, but I wanted some other opinions.

Thank you for the response by the way...how did you study to improve after the first LSAT?

Cardboardbox

Postby Cardboardbox » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:10 am

Spinozist21 wrote:
Cardboardbox wrote:

And this is all very well possible. I, however, am a planner and I would like to have the majority of my applications done (all but LSAT complete) before I get my October LSAT scores back. That means that I need to figure out if I am shooting too high with any of these schools. They seem within the general range, but I wanted some other opinions.

Thank you for the response by the way...how did you study to improve after the first LSAT?

Honestly, I stopped screwing around. My first time I studied during the semester, in my junior year, which meant I went out with my friends ALOT, including skipping prep course classes to go out, not good. Also, I wouldn't take studying at home seriously. After reality (and my first score lol) hit, I took prep seriously, took a course again (because I found them useful) actually got the powerscore books, set and abided by rigid study times. Basically I just buckled down and took it seriously. One of the biggest things in my personal opinion that helped me get a better score too was that I was more relaxed during the test. My testing center was a lot better, small classroom, individual desks, nice procter, most importantly though I already knew what it was like, I had done it before. It's definitely A LOT less stressful taking the test a second time because you've gone through it all.

Hope some of that is of use but it's pretty generic I guess lol

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:25 am

Cardboardbox wrote:
Spinozist21 wrote:
Cardboardbox wrote:

Honestly, I stopped screwing around. My first time I studied during the semester, in my junior year, which meant I went out with my friends ALOT, including skipping prep course classes to go out, not good. Also, I wouldn't take studying at home seriously. After reality (and my first score lol) hit, I took prep seriously, took a course again (because I found them useful) actually got the powerscore books, set and abided by rigid study times. Basically I just buckled down and took it seriously. One of the biggest things in my personal opinion that helped me get a better score too was that I was more relaxed during the test. My testing center was a lot better, small classroom, individual desks, nice procter, most importantly though I already knew what it was like, I had done it before. It's definitely A LOT less stressful taking the test a second time because you've gone through it all.

Hope some of that is of use but it's pretty generic I guess lol

I am definitely hoping that part is true. :lol: That's the thing...I mean I didn't study as hard as I could have for the first one...didn't take enough full practice tests. What I really want to do is go over the questions I missed...try to find a pattern...look at the types and study those...take more practice tests. I work full time and go to school 18 hours per week so its tough to set aside the time...but im going to definitely try to set aside more solid times to study for the LSAT this time.

Thanks again.

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:10 pm

Bump...I know that people dont care sub 170 but.......

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:22 pm

Spinozist21 wrote:Bump...I know that people dont care sub 170 but.......

I don't think it's so much that as people begin to get less familiar with programs the further down the rankings you go.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:26 pm

Make this post again after your retake.

lurker999

Postby lurker999 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:28 pm

You are auto admit to powerscore LSAT prep class.

Return to “What are my chances?”