3.7/162, Help me 'trim the fat' from my application list

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ZFeinberg13

3.7/162, Help me 'trim the fat' from my application list

Postby ZFeinberg13 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:02 pm

LSDAS GPA: 3.7 from UF; LSAT: 162; non-URM

(Rank) School

(11) Northwestern University
(20) George Washington University
(22) Boston University
(34) Fordham University
(34) University of Washington
(21) University of Illinois
(22) University of Minnesota
(28) University of Wisconsin
(52) Yeshiva University (Cardozo)
(28) University of North Carolina
(47) University of Florida
(48) American University
(72) Temple University
(52) University of Connecticut

Please chance me, suggest additions or subtractions, or add any other comments about these schools. Thanks!

bk1

Re: 3.7/162, Help me 'trim the fat' from my application list

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:11 pm

Why not UT, WUSTL, BC, ND, IUB?

NU seems a stretch, do you have W/E?

Unless you really, really want NYC, I would cut Cardozo, same with American in regards to DC. Temple and UConn seem kind of random.

EDIT: Do you have no geographic preference at all other than not the west coast?

D-ROCCA

Postby D-ROCCA » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:14 pm

Where do you want to practice? It seems like that should dictate where you apply.

Cardboardbox

Postby Cardboardbox » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:16 pm

ZFeinberg13 wrote:LSDAS GPA: 3.7 from UF; LSAT: 162; non-URM

(Rank) School

(11) Northwestern University [out]
(20) George Washington University [out]
(22) Boston University [out]
(34) Fordham University [out FT/WL PT if early app, maybe]
(34) University of Washington [out]
(21) University of Illinois [wl/out]
(22) University of Minnesota [wl/out]
(28) University of Wisconsin [wl]
(52) Yeshiva University (Cardozo) [in/wl]
(28) University of North Carolina [wl/out]
(47) University of Florida [in]
(48) American University [in]
(72) Temple University [in]
(52) University of Connecticut [in]

Please chance me, suggest additions or subtractions, or add any other comments about these schools. Thanks!

You're gonna hear this from others but I may as well be the first, if you think you can do better, retake. In any case, with current numbers you'll need to cut out alot of those.

ZFeinberg13

Postby ZFeinberg13 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:35 am

Thanks for some of the feedback. Geographically, I'm pretty open (including to the west coast. none of the schools seemed to be the right fit for me.) I was hoping to shy away from schools that weren't really based in a 'city' but I am flexible on that too. Just curious, why do Cardozo and American get such bad feedback on this forum? I know a few people who have gone to both and say that the overall vibe is positive coming out of both schools.

Kswizzie

Postby Kswizzie » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:53 am

ZFeinberg13 wrote:Thanks for some of the feedback. Geographically, I'm pretty open (including to the west coast. none of the schools seemed to be the right fit for me.) I was hoping to shy away from schools that weren't really based in a 'city' but I am flexible on that too. Just curious, why do Cardozo and American get such bad feedback on this forum? I know a few people who have gone to both and say that the overall vibe is positive coming out of both schools.

Its not so much that they are "bad" schools its just that places like NY and DC have a ton of much better schools feeding into them. In NY, this means that you will be in competition against people from Columbia, NYU, Cornell and Fordham not to mention the rest of the T-14 schools.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:56 am

bk1 wrote:Why not UT, WUSTL, BC, ND, IUB?

NU seems a stretch, do you have W/E?

Unless you really, really want NYC, I would cut Cardozo, same with American in regards to DC. Temple and UConn seem kind of random.

EDIT: Do you have no geographic preference at all other than not the west coast?

+1 And why dont you throw in some of those UCs like Davis and Hastings

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:57 am

ZFeinberg13 wrote:Thanks for some of the feedback. Geographically, I'm pretty open (including to the west coast. none of the schools seemed to be the right fit for me.) I was hoping to shy away from schools that weren't really based in a 'city' but I am flexible on that too. Just curious, why do Cardozo and American get such bad feedback on this forum? I know a few people who have gone to both and say that the overall vibe is positive coming out of both schools.

Positive vibe? No way. Comparatively mediocre schools in saturated markets.

Where do you want to practice? As someone else said above, this is everything.

Also OP, a retake for you is in order.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:25 pm

ZFeinberg13 wrote:(11) Northwestern University
(20) George Washington University
(22) Boston University
(34) Fordham University
(34) University of Washington
(21) University of Illinois
(22) University of Minnesota
(28) University of Wisconsin
(52) Yeshiva University (Cardozo)
(28) University of North Carolina
(47) University of Florida
(48) American University
(72) Temple University
(52) University of Connecticut

I would consider removing U of Illinois (unless you can get instate), Yeshiva, and American.

It appears that you are concentrating on the northeast and midwest with UNC thrown in.

You could add William and Mary/Washington & Lee if you had additional funds for applications.

ZFeinberg13

Postby ZFeinberg13 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:05 pm

Right, I can see that NY and DC have the large lot of better schools feeding into them but isn't it also the case that they have such sizable markets (relatively, of course) that it's negligible? In other words, might I have just as much trouble getting a decent job after graduating in one of those two markets as I would from a top school in a smaller market, i.e. coming out of U Kentucky?

The reasons I don't have UC Davis and UC Hastings on my list, (though I originally considered both) were that the former had too much of a small-town, campus feel to it and the latter scared me away with their crazy grading system.

And, as predicted, I've gotten a couple responses that suggest retaking the LSAT. Unfortunately, as trite as it has become to say so, I am one of those lousy test takers and the LSAT is a tricky one to master. I definitely gave it my all and did just about as well as I think possible for me. Plus, that June '10 one was a toughy :lol:

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:12 pm

ZFeinberg13 wrote:Right, I can see that NY and DC have the large lot of better schools feeding into them but isn't it also the case that they have such sizable markets (relatively, of course) that it's negligible? In other words, might I have just as much trouble getting a decent job after graduating in one of those two markets as I would from a top school in a smaller market, i.e. coming out of U Kentucky?

No, basically because DC and NY are very desirable markets that many people from many schools want to be there. Also, you don't really need ties for these areas, as firms already know why you want to be in these highly desirable markets.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:18 pm

ZFeinberg13 wrote:Right, I can see that NY and DC have the large lot of better schools feeding into them but isn't it also the case that they have such sizable markets (relatively, of course) that it's negligible? In other words, might I have just as much trouble getting a decent job after graduating in one of those two markets as I would from a top school in a smaller market, i.e. coming out of U Kentucky?

The reasons I don't have UC Davis and UC Hastings on my list, (though I originally considered both) were that the former had too much of a small-town, campus feel to it and the latter scared me away with their crazy grading system.

And, as predicted, I've gotten a couple responses that suggest retaking the LSAT. Unfortunately, as trite as it has become to say so, I am one of those lousy test takers and the LSAT is a tricky one to master. I definitely gave it my all and did just about as well as I think possible for me. Plus, that June '10 one was a toughy :lol:

Seems worthwhile to at least try. Considering schools take your top score, you have a lot to gain and little to lose.

Return to “What are my chances?”