URM needs help! Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Buffalo Bill

New

URM needs help!

Post by Buffalo Bill » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:30 pm

I wanted to throw this out there since it seems like LSN and Lawschoolpredictor aren't all that great for URM's. Hopefully someone know's someone with my similar numbers or has similar numbers to mine and can offer some insight.

GPA 3.25
LSAT 167, 161
Mexican-American

I am planning to write an addendum for my GPA. I worked 35-40 hours a week during undergrad. My mother is a single mother who was putting herself through job training at the time(I am the first one from the family to go to college), while still raising my two sisters at home. Not only was I working to pay for college, but also to help with the financials back home.

I have been out of college for 3 years and working on the Hill in DC. I have been very engaged in the community, volunteering with lots of organizations(to help make up for the lack of "softs" in college.)

I took the LSAT twice. The first time I was very sick and subsequently was diagnosed with a Neurological condition. I went on medication and retook the LSAT and got the 167. I could retake again but I want to get my apps in this cycle as close to September 15th as possible. From what I have read on this site, it seems that if your are a URM, the earlier the better.

My top choice would be NYU and think I may need to apply ED to have any shot. I also like Cornell and Penn. I know in the end it's a numbers game and quite honestly, mine are a bit weak for the schools I like. I think I have a compelling PS, DS and addendum but I realize this may do little in the end.

Can anyone offer some insight as to whether I am wasting my time applying to those three? I am trying to stay along the east coast. I have been offered fee waivers from Virginia and Duke but they are really not in a region I am interested in, though I will apply. I figured it was better to apply earlier to NYU than Columbia since NYU has slightly lower numbers and a bigger class size. But perhaps I should ED to Penn?

Thanks so much

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: URM needs help!

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:32 pm

Your addendum already seems powerful. I do not think that you are wasting your time by applying to NYU.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LLB2JD

Silver

Re: URM needs help!

Post by LLB2JD » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:37 pm

Don't ED to NYU to keep your options open. Also, it seems you'll be a perfect fit for something like the AnBryce.

Return to “What are my chances?”