UK educated (LLB)/US citizen/Lower second/175/admitted in NY

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
piccolittle

UK educated (LLB)/US citizen/Lower second/175/admitted in NY

Postby piccolittle » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:18 pm

Anyone have any advice on where to apply? I asked ages ago but didn't really get an answer. I have a 2:2 (missed out on a 2:1 by a %$&# point!) from one of the top UK law schools, and took the NY Bar last summer (admitted this year). Would you consider that to be a positive soft, or do you think it won't influence anything? Admissions people don't seem too enthusiastic about it, but obviously I phrased the question more as "Will this impact my ability to enroll?" than "Is this going to make you accept me?"

Obviously I have no GPA (unless that CC course I took after high school turns out to be credited) so it's hard to predict where I might have a shot, but I know adcomms have seen it all before so there's no use pretending that my grades are amazing.

Help?

kazu

Re: UK educated (LLB)/US citizen/Lower second/175/admitted in NY

Postby kazu » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:07 pm

piccolittle wrote:Anyone have any advice on where to apply? I asked ages ago but didn't really get an answer. I have a 2:2 (missed out on a 2:1 by a %$&# point!) from one of the top UK law schools, and took the NY Bar last summer (admitted this year). Would you consider that to be a positive soft, or do you think it won't influence anything? Admissions people don't seem too enthusiastic about it, but obviously I phrased the question more as "Will this impact my ability to enroll?" than "Is this going to make you accept me?"

Obviously I have no GPA (unless that CC course I took after high school turns out to be credited) so it's hard to predict where I might have a shot, but I know adcomms have seen it all before so there's no use pretending that my grades are amazing.

Help?

?? You took the NY bar? Are you talking about LLM or JD?

(I think I asked this before as well but I'm too lazy to go digging through your posts....)

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:16 pm

If you have a 175 LSAT and not terrible grades you'll get into a great law school.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:42 pm

kazu wrote:?? You took the NY bar? Are you talking about LLM or JD?

(I think I asked this before as well but I'm too lazy to go digging through your posts....)

Thanks for responding both times! I know it's awfully unorthodox, which is why I'm so confused. My LLB made me eligible, so I gave it a shot. Now I'm applying to JD programs. :)

kazu

Postby kazu » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:50 pm

piccolittle wrote:
kazu wrote:?? You took the NY bar? Are you talking about LLM or JD?

Thanks for responding both times! I know it's awfully unorthodox, which is why I'm so confused. My LLB made me eligible, so I gave it a shot. Now I'm applying to JD programs. :)

Okay then, I probably gave you this advice before but you need an actual LSAT score in order for us to chance you... Otherwise the difference between a 165, 170, and a 175 is huge. Those might be nice minor softs but I don't think they're game-changing. If you get a 175+, I'd say you have a solid chance at T6 (dunno if HYS would bite since 2:2 is, I think, an "Average" but you would still have a chance there as well).

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:32 am

Um, why exactly do you need a JD if you are already admitted to the bar? You intend to use JD degree back at your own country?

CrimsonCal

Postby CrimsonCal » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:59 am

You should be applying to LLM programs... JD doesn't make sense for you and schools may not even consider you for admission in light of your LLB, although your LSAT score is great

2:2 is quite low for a GPA (I would say the equivalent of a 3.0 in the US), most UK firms wouldn't touch a 2:2 with a 10ft pool

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:22 am

CrimsonCal wrote:You should be applying to LLM programs... JD doesn't make sense for you and schools may not even consider you for admission in light of your LLB, although your LSAT score is great

2:2 is quite low for a GPA (I would say the equivalent of a 3.0 in the US), most UK firms wouldn't touch a 2:2 with a 10ft pool

Very wrong

kazu

Postby kazu » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:25 am

CrimsonCal wrote:2:2 is quite low for a GPA (I would say the equivalent of a 3.0 in the US), most UK firms wouldn't touch a 2:2 with a 10ft pool

Yes, but with foreign GPAs U.S. law schools don't equate it exactly to a numerical U.S. GPA... instead they just put more emphasis on the LSAT. Especially since foreign GPAs don't affect their rankings.

Return to “What are my chances?”