Do I NEED to ED????

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
almostfamous

Do I NEED to ED????

Postby almostfamous » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:00 am

Hey all,
I went and visited a few of law schools (mich, penn, uva, georgetown) a couple of weeks ago, and really fell in love with both michigan and uva. I esp loved Michigan, but coming straight from undergrad, the summer start would mean 5 straight semesters with no break. Plus idk exactly how I feel about living in the cold. My numbers are 3.1, 177. Do I need to ED to have a chance at either of these schools?? I really don't know which one I would decide to attend, and money is definitely a consideration. So I would prefer NOT to have to ED but it would be a huge disappointment if I don't get into one of the schools doing RD.

Any thoughts?

Re: Do I NEED to ED????

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:07 am

With a 3.1, ED'ing to Michigan wouldn't hurt. Michigan's financial aid is very formula based. Also, I wouldn't count on it but I've heard of some ED'ers being granted deferments to start in the Fall vs the summer after requesting it.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:20 am

dont ed, or at least i wouldnt. apply broader, you only looked at 4 schools.
worst case, dont get accepted into a school you like and reapply ed next year.

2ofspades

Postby 2ofspades » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:52 am

^^^ disagree. With his GPA, HYSCCNB is unlikely, so if he's familiar with MVP, then he's got the information he needs to make an informed decision between his top realistic choices. If MVP considers his application weak in light of GPA, ED gives a good boost; if his application is considered strong, ED prevents yield protection.

OP, I think you can actually ED to both. Virginia gives ED decisions within 15 days and let's you add an ED certification pretty late in the game, so you could ED there first and then to Michigan or vice versa. Take note, though, that while ED applicants at Michigan frequently receive merit aid, ED applicants at Virginia do not.

Of course, you shouldn't ED at all unless you're sure there isn't another school where you have a good shot that you would prefer to attend. And regardless of whether you ED, you should be thinking about more than four schools.

almostfamous

Postby almostfamous » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:08 am

I'm applying to about 15 schools ranging from Chicago to UNC, this is just the list of schools I was able to go visit, and Michigan and UVA were always kind of my top 2 choices. I'm just concerned that I'll ED to one of the schools and then, if I get in, really regret the decision to not pursue other schools and be able to make my decision a little bit later :/
Although I did really like UVA, I just had this gut feeling about Michigan. Its the cold and the summer start that are my major concerns there. I'm trying to put together a pretty strong application, I know that my letters of recommendation and my essays are solid, and help to explain some of why my GPA is so weak.
Maybe I'm just a commitment-phobe. And on another note, I'm a she :)

2ofspades

Postby 2ofspades » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:15 am

I'm so sorry! [embarrassed]

btw, OP, do you know what practice areas interest you?

almostfamous

Postby almostfamous » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:19 am

I'm really open at this point...I'm interested in environmental law because thats where my background is, but I havent been exposed to much else so who knows. So I'm just trying to get into the best school that I can (and kicking myself for not changing my major to something easier two years ago haha)

2ofspades

Postby 2ofspades » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:25 am

Sounds like you've got a good plan! And you're gonna get in somewhere great, so no need to worry :D

Return to “What are my chances?”