Are my chances as dismal as I think they are? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
GoBroncos22!

Bronze

Are my chances as dismal as I think they are?

Post by GoBroncos22! » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:28 pm

Being that my numbers are some of the lowest I see on these boards, im sure most will laugh at these schools but its all I can muster so let me know what you think. I am getting ready to send out apps in a few weeks. I have a 160 from June and My GPA will be around 2.8. I really want to stay in Boise to work and my target school is Univ of Idaho. It has an awesome reputation in Boise and firms in town LOVE Idaho grads. I am 3 points above their 75% lsat mark but my gpa is obviously below their 25% mark. Other than that, depending what I get from Idaho I am interested in....(most interested in order from top down)

Denver U
Seattle U
U of Oregon
Williamette
U of New Mexico
Creighton
U of Nebraska-Lincoln

Any other ideas with my numbers? Thanks guys, appreciate it

TommyK

Silver

Re: Are my chances as dismal as I think they are?

Post by TommyK » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:32 pm

GoBroncos22! wrote:Being that my numbers are some of the lowest I see on these boards, im sure most will laugh at these schools but its all I can muster so let me know what you think. I am getting ready to send out apps in a few weeks. I have a 160 from June and My GPA will be around 2.8. I really want to stay in Boise to work and my target school is Univ of Idaho. It has an awesome reputation in Boise and firms in town LOVE Idaho grads. I am 3 points above their 75% lsat mark but my gpa is obviously below their 25% mark. Other than that, depending what I get from Idaho I am interested in....(most interested in order from top down)

Denver U
Seattle U
U of Oregon
Williamette
U of New Mexico
Creighton
U of Nebraska-Lincoln

You'll have to screw up the app process immensely not to get accepted.

GoBroncos22!

Bronze

Post by GoBroncos22! » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:35 pm

TommyK wrote:
GoBroncos22! wrote:Being that my numbers are some of the lowest I see on these boards, im sure most will laugh at these schools but its all I can muster so let me know what you think. I am getting ready to send out apps in a few weeks. I have a 160 from June and My GPA will be around 2.8. I really want to stay in Boise to work and my target school is Univ of Idaho. It has an awesome reputation in Boise and firms in town LOVE Idaho grads. I am 3 points above their 75% lsat mark but my gpa is obviously below their 25% mark. Other than that, depending what I get from Idaho I am interested in....(most interested in order from top down)

Denver U
Seattle U
U of Oregon
Williamette
U of New Mexico
Creighton
U of Nebraska-Lincoln

Really? Even at seattle and Denver? I am basically at their 75% lsat marks but below their, and all schools, 25% gpa

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:37 pm

All I can tell you is that I didn't get accepted to U Oregon or Willamette with a 164/3.0, but my app may have been a little late in that cycle.

Go for it. If you think you can retake the LSAT and do better, you should... if only to offset your GPA.

Good luck!

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:39 pm

GoBroncos22! wrote:
TommyK wrote:

Denver U
Seattle U
U of Oregon
Williamette
U of New Mexico
Creighton
U of Nebraska-Lincoln

Really? Even at seattle and Denver? I am basically at their 75% lsat marks but below their, and all schools, 25% gpa
Oh, sorry - reading comp fail on my part. Was just responding to Idaho. Use Lawschoolpredictor.com. My thought is that you should be fine for most. You're looking to be a LSAT splitter at most of these schools, and fortunately most schools are willing to take a crummy gpa if it boosts their median LSAT. Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GoBroncos22!

Bronze

Post by GoBroncos22! » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:42 pm

Adjudicator wrote:All I can tell you is that I didn't get accepted to U Oregon or Willamette with a 164/3.0, but my app may have been a little late in that cycle.

Go for it. If you think you can retake the LSAT and do better, you should... if only to offset your GPA.

Good luck!
You didnt get in at williamette with a 164? Ya must of been late in the cycle cause their 75% is only 157. Thanks for the help Tommy

littlepiggie818

New

Post by littlepiggie818 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:48 pm

Denver U
Seattle U
U of Oregon
Williamette
U of New Mexico
Creighton
U of Nebraska-Lincoln

I can only speak for Seattle U since it's the only school I applied to on this list. I had a 160 with a 3.1 gpa and I submitted my application the week before Thanksgiving. I was accepted in February with some $. The best advice I can give is apply early and work hard on your application to show that you actually put some thoughts into it.

GoBroncos22!

Bronze

Post by GoBroncos22! » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:52 pm

Thanks littlepiggie, im gonna try and have them in on the first of October so hopefuly this boosts my chances

horriblegb

Bronze

Post by horriblegb » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:40 pm

UNM isn't really a fan of the out-of-state residents, esp. if they are not a URM, don't count an admit from there

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:48 pm

Denver U
Seattle U
U of Oregon
Williamette
U of New Mexico
Creighton
U of Nebraska-Lincoln

You have a decent shot at Idaho. Good luck!

Don't let the haters get to you. The hate is for people who think they're a special snowflake and will be the best lawyer ever despite getting a sucky LSAT and going to Cooley on a conditional scholarship. Going to a strong regional school is a reasonable career choice if you're OK with being in that region for life and can handle the debt.

NewLobo

New

Post by NewLobo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:26 pm

horriblegb wrote:UNM isn't really a fan of the out-of-state residents, esp. if they are not a URM, don't count an admit from there
TITCR. Unless you are a resident, I wouldn't apply. Many people have applied with higher numbers thinking it would be a safety and get a rejection. Plus UNM does not transfer well out of New Mexico so your options will be limited to NM.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:54 pm

I applied your numbers on lawschoolpredictor.com & it is not encouraging. Nebraska, for example, was an outright "deny". Assuming that you have finished undergraduate school, then only work experience & a higher LSAT can significantly increase your chances of law school admission.
Nebraska, Oregon, Denver & Seattle were all "deny". Consider Syracuse & West Virginia.

fragged

Bronze

Post by fragged » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:27 am

horriblegb wrote:UNM isn't really a fan of the out-of-state residents, esp. if they are not a URM, don't count an admit from there
Is it me, or does it seem like people from New Mexico don't like anyone from out of state?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:09 am

CanadianWolf wrote:I applied your numbers on lawschoolpredictor.com & it is not encouraging. Nebraska, for example, was an outright "deny". Assuming that you have finished undergraduate school, then only work experience & a higher LSAT can significantly increase your chances of law school admission.
Nebraska, Oregon, Denver & Seattle were all "deny". Consider Syracuse & West Virginia.
LawSchoolPredictor isn't very good at predicting high LSAT/low GPA splitter success. I wouldn't view the "deny" as an automatic deny. If you're at or above the 75th percentile on the LSAT for the target school, I think you'll have a solid chance.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:42 pm

TommyK wrote:LawSchoolPredictor isn't very good at predicting high LSAT/low GPA splitter success. I wouldn't view the "deny" as an automatic deny. If you're at or above the 75th percentile on the LSAT for the target school, I think you'll have a solid chance.
To go along with that, though, splitter cycles are just unpredictable. You should expect to get denied at schools LSP says you have a good chance at as well.

horriblegb

Bronze

Post by horriblegb » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:51 pm

fragged wrote:
Is it me, or does it seem like people from New Mexico don't like anyone from out of state?

Haha at first I was offended, but then I thought, do I like anyone from out of state? Not that I left, I do, but before, it was debatable. I mean, really don't like Texans, Colorado is ok, and now we hate Arizona

NewLobo

New

Post by NewLobo » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:39 pm

fragged wrote:
It has to do with keeping what little resources we have in state.

NewLobo

New

Post by NewLobo » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:40 pm

horriblegb wrote:
fragged wrote:

Haha at first I was offended, but then I thought, do I like anyone from out of state? Not that I left, I do, but before, it was debatable. I mean, really don't like Texans, Colorado is ok, and now we hate Arizona
Only state I find tolerable is Colorado also :lol:.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”