Chances

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
wannagotolaw

Chances

Postby wannagotolaw » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:08 am

numberss
Last edited by wannagotolaw on Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dany

Re: Summer internships? / Chances at Stanford?

Postby Dany » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:28 am

A more valuable use of your summer would be to take as many easy classes as possible to raise your GPA. A 3.55 is very, very low for Stanford and Berkeley (I don't know much about UCLA, but it's probably lowish there, too.) It has been said by admissions deans that law schools admission is roughly based on components in thirds: GPA, LSAT, all other factors. You've already got the "other" factors (a published book, study abroad, hopefully a few other things) and your LSAT is great, so I would spend less time worrying about internships/extracurriculars, and more time boosting your GPA as much as possible. Nothing will strengthen your application more than a higher GPA.

lawschool2014

Postby lawschool2014 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:43 am

Congrats on the high LSAT and Book!

I would recommend raising your GPA. I had around 3.78ish in college bc Im a baller in math but had some crappy professors reduced my grades bc I rarely showed up to class. I wanted close to a 4.0 for law schools, so I took some online joke classes at SUNY during the summer when I had an internship. I think SUNY has a rule that they cannot differentiate between online classes and classes on site to encourage working people to earn degrees.Though the credits did not transfer to my home university, I took like 4 3 credit courses (macro, micro econ, differential equations, statistics) and got A's in all of them, raising my LSDAS GPA to a 3.92 (in addition to some good semesters at my home university). Those classes costs only $100 a credit bc I got resident tuition (said I was living at my aunts house).

Raise that GPA and enjoy HYSCCN.

P.S. I did not get into HYS and for some bizarre reason NYU bc I did not have very many extra curricular activities. I got into most of the t14s with money. I was above the 75th percentile for GPA and median for LSAT for NYU and they rejected me. I think they did not like me claiming that my frat took up 20-30 hours a week. idk, just bitter. Kinda, thought I would be in with money and wanted to go there.

Unlike me, you have some pretty awesome softs that will help your application. Good luck OP!!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:27 pm

HYS is almost certainly out with a 3.5/172 unless you're a URM or have some outrageously good soft on your resume. Even the T6 is a bit of a reach with your GPA. MVP are your targets. I agree with other posters who say that improving your GPA should be your main focus. Use your summer to have fun and do something rewarding, but don't expect it to serve as a magical bump that puts you into Stanford.

wannagotolaw

Postby wannagotolaw » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:37 pm

What are MVP?

Thanks to all posters so far.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:44 pm

wannagotolaw wrote:What are MVP?

Thanks to all posters so far.

The letters signify different "tiers" within the T14.

HYS= Harvard, Yale, Stanford
CCN= Chicago, Columbia, New York
MVP= Michigan, Virginia, Penn

Berkeley is usually thrown in with MVP as well, but I didn't include them because they weigh GPA heavily. But it is probably worth an app as well, since it would be a pretty good alternative to Stanford if you are interested in the West Coast. Heck, I'd consider blanketing the T14 if I were you, but I'm just telling you now that HYS is out so that you don't get your hopes up.

Any chance you could get your LSAT up on a retake?

wannagotolaw

Postby wannagotolaw » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:54 pm

How does LSAC come up with the GPA? What online classes/ summer classes can you take to bring up the GPA?

I think I can bring it up to 174ish area. and GPA will definitely increase to 3.7 range.

So there is not any particular internships or anything that Stanford or UC berkeley look for?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:02 pm

wannagotolaw wrote:How does LSAC come up with the GPA? What online classes/ summer classes can you take to bring up the GPA?

I think I can bring it up to 174ish area. and GPA will definitely increase to 3.7 range.

So there is not any particular internships or anything that Stanford or UC berkeley look for?

Not really. Law school is a numbers game. While a school like Stanford may place more emphasis on soft factors than others (since they have the luxury of being picky), you still need to have better numbers to be competitive. Internships really won't play much of a role unless they are really unique or prestigious. Internships are not viewed like a few years of work experience; they are really a minimal factor for admissions.

LSAC GPA includes nearly all classes you have taken, including those taken at other schools (community college, transfer credits, etc.) or failures that have been replaced by new letter grades. You should try to find out what some easy A's are at your school and take those classes to boost your GPA.

Return to “What are my chances?”