USMC Experience/Low GPA/Low LSAT

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Ronned

USMC Experience/Low GPA/Low LSAT

Postby Ronned » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:00 am

I'm planning on attending law school in about four years from now, since I've decided and DEPed in for the USMC. I have a job offered to me as a Cryptological Linguist intelligence position for Korean (which I speak fluently), and possible assignment for Arabic training, and I'm going to take it. I'll be going in as an enlisted personnel due to my poor academic performance in school, and lack of ability in running three-miles under 19 minutes. Recently, I've received mostly As and B+s and been taking a heavy course-load until I graduate this December. My projected GPA, only if I receive all B+ and some A's, will be a mere 2.8. I've taken the Practice LSAT a few times this month and received a score range of mid 160s. But from what I've learned trolling through these forums; a Practice LSAT score is minus ten off the real LSAT.

So, will military experience heighten my chances to get into a Top 50 law school? I believe that the only method for me to fund law school is by taking advantage of the GI BILL ($150,00) since no reasonable individual would dare risk giving me scholarships. What are my chances? Do law school look favorably upon individuals with military experience? Since I'll be getting a degree in UCDAVIS is it likely at all that I'd get accepted into its law school?

bk1

Re: USMC Experience/Low GPA/Low LSAT

Postby bk1 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:15 am

If you get 172+, you can still get a T14 despite having a 2.8.

Going to UCD as UG probably won't boost your chances of admission there.

rockcreek

Postby rockcreek » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:19 am

Wait…Have you even been through boot camp? With the amount of pain and BS coming your way I would not worry about Law School until year 3…Since you speak Korean you’ll likely end up in 3D Marine Division, which means you will not be on a steady deployment rotation cycle. You will be training for 4 years. Don’t go in to the Marines unless you're serious about it…You will hate your life if you’re just worried about when you can get out. Yudt.

Ronned

Postby Ronned » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:38 am

rockcreek wrote:Don’t go in to the Marines unless you're serious about it…You will hate your life if you’re just worried about when you can get out

I'm actually pretty serious about going in, hopefully with a DLAB score of 175 (AFQT: 99) I believe my chances for learning another CAT I language is high. I'm also adamant about going to law school after my service. I believed that the only route for my chances in a decent law school resided on the premise that I show some meritorious service and positive changes in my life - including an outstanding LSAT score - but at least I'm realistic. I think dropping fifty pounds and going from zero pull ups to thirteen in six-months is quite an achievement for a long-term fat ass, and going from D's and C's to A's and B's.

And no I haven't gone to BC yet, my ship date is in March 2011.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:23 pm

Your only chance at a decent law school is a really good LSAT. Nothing more, nothing less.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:31 pm

Ronned wrote:
rockcreek wrote:I believe my chances for learning another CAT I language is high.

Small correction. Korean and Arabic are CAT IV languages. CAT I is Spanish.

As a former DLIer who just went through the application cycle, I can tell you part of my experience. The military service is a plus, but like all softs it will not make up for GPA or LSAT. It is a very strong soft, but it is still more of a tie breaker then a boost. You already have your undergrad degree right. That is good as DLI will destroy your GPA otherwise, but LSAC stops counting GPA after your undergrad.

Your real benefit will come from the personal experiences in the military that will motivate you as a person in life, and from the financial benefit of the GI Bill in not having to pay for law school (if you choose the right one with Yellow Ribbon).

Enjoy DLI. Monterey is a beautiful place.

Return to “What are my chances?”