167/173 3.43; Where should I apply/What are my chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
soupisgood

167/173 3.43; Where should I apply/What are my chances?

Postby soupisgood » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:34 pm

I graduated from a top 25 private undergrad in May, and now am taking 1-2 years off working outside the U.S. (if it's 2 years, I'd defer my admission a year). I'm technically an international student, if that matters at all. I want to work in NY for a few years, though eventually I think I'd like to return to California. As of now, I want to work in BigLaw, but I could see myself in academia in a couple decades, so I'd like to attend a T14, rather than a T1 school that gives $$$.

Where should I apply? Which schools give high LSAT-low GPA splitters some love? UPenn is my first choice from this list, but is EDing there a smart idea, given that I'm planning on writing a "Why UPenn" essay anyway? I'm pretty sure that CLS and NYU are out with my #'s, even with ED, and Michigan and Duke don't really appeal to me, but aside from that, my school list is looking pretty sad.

My list so far:
UPenn (probably ED?)
Cornell
UVA
Chicago

Any help would be much appreciated :)

kazu

Re: 167/173 3.43; Where should I apply/What are my chances?

Postby kazu » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:03 pm

If I were you I'd apply to the whole T14 except for YHS. Splitters are always unpredictable, and you might be able to leverage scholarship offers from schools you're not keen on for more $$ at a school you do want to go to. Plus it's good to have more than 1 backup.

I would also think that with those numbers NYU is probably more likely than Chicago.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:26 pm

unrealistic reach: yale, harvard, stanford, columbia
realistic reach: nyu, chicago, berkeley, uva, penn, duke, ucla
target: cornell, mich, texas, vandy, usc
strong target: northwestern, georgetown

you should look at one or two of gw, emory, illinois, fordham, bc, bu, wustl, and nd to apply to as a safety and for some significant schollies.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:35 pm

soupisgood wrote:I graduated from a top 25 private undergrad in May, and now am taking 1-2 years off working outside the U.S. (if it's 2 years, I'd defer my admission a year). I'm technically an international student, if that matters at all. I want to work in NY for a few years, though eventually I think I'd like to return to California. As of now, I want to work in BigLaw, but I could see myself in academia in a couple decades, so I'd like to attend a T14, rather than a T1 school that gives $$$.

Where should I apply? Which schools give high LSAT-low GPA splitters some love? UPenn is my first choice from this list, but is EDing there a smart idea, given that I'm planning on writing a "Why UPenn" essay anyway? I'm pretty sure that CLS and NYU are out with my #'s, even with ED, and Michigan and Duke don't really appeal to me, but aside from that, my school list is looking pretty sad.

My list so far:
UPenn (probably ED?)
Cornell
UVA
Chicago

If I recall correctly, UPenn tends to value GPA. :| There's a list here of which favors what over what: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35133

You're a splitter...so apply everywhere you can.

2ofspades

Postby 2ofspades » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:46 pm

I agree with Kazu - blanket the T14, and pay particular attention to Northwestern and Georgetown, since they're splitter-friendly.

Also - and this is 100% biased - I wouldn't be so fast to rule out Michigan. You say you are interested in both NY and California and also that you would like to eventually work in academia. Michigan has a tradition for producing academics, and it also has lots of alumni on both coasts.

soupisgood

Postby soupisgood » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:11 am

So... the consensus seems to be to blanket the T-14 with the exception of HYS (and possibly C). What do you guys think about ED... especially at UPenn?

kazu

Postby kazu » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:51 am

soupisgood wrote:So... the consensus seems to be to blanket the T-14 with the exception of HYS (and possibly C). What do you guys think about ED... especially at UPenn?

If I were you I'd definitely apply to Columbia as well, you have an enough shot to make it worth the app fees. Maybe do a couple more safeties outside of the T14 as well - najumobi gave a few good suggestions.

I'm not that good with ED decisions so someone else is going to have to answer that :oops:

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:14 am

If you are serious about leaving the academia door open, you should ED Chicago rather than UPenn.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:36 pm

soupisgood wrote:I graduated from a top 25 private undergrad in May, and now am taking 1-2 years off working outside the U.S. (if it's 2 years, I'd defer my admission a year). I'm technically an international student, if that matters at all. I want to work in NY for a few years, though eventually I think I'd like to return to California. As of now, I want to work in BigLaw, but I could see myself in academia in a couple decades, so I'd like to attend a T14, rather than a T1 school that gives $$$.

My list so far:
UPenn (probably ED?)
Cornell
UVA
Chicago

I have similar numbers and after posting on here and countless PMs with helpful TLSers, I've decided to ED to Chicago. I dont think CLS and NYU are out, and EDing to one of them would help. Again, with my similar numbers, I was told to ED at my favorite CCN, but decided on Chicago because it seemed like I had a better shot there than Columbia (not really interested in NYU).
Also, as the previous poster suggested, if you want to go to Academia, Chicago is probably a much better choice than UPenn, and they place better for biglaw in NY anyways.
Any particular reason you want UPenn over anywhere else?
I think your numbers would give you a shot at CCN with an ED.

soupisgood

Postby soupisgood » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:52 pm

trudat15 wrote:

My list so far:
UPenn (probably ED?)
Cornell
UVA
Chicago

I have similar numbers and after posting on here and countless PMs with helpful TLSers, I've decided to ED to Chicago. I dont think CLS and NYU are out, and EDing to one of them would help. Again, with my similar numbers, I was told to ED at my favorite CCN, but decided on Chicago because it seemed like I had a better shot there than Columbia (not really interested in NYU).
Also, as the previous poster suggested, if you want to go to Academia, Chicago is probably a much better choice than UPenn, and they place better for biglaw in NY anyways.

CLS is definitely my favorite CCN and probably my #1 choice, but looking at LSN users with my #'s range (3.33-3.53, 171-174) and seeing 2 whole acceptances (users with GPA's closer to 3.5) and far more rejections and WL's, I feel like CLS ED might just be a waste.

From everything that I've heard, I feel like I'd fit in better at UPenn. I haven't had the chance to visit either school, but Chicago seems to have that hardcore, intellectual, intense gunner kind of feel while Penn seems a little friendlier and more chill (well, chill for a LS, anyway).

The academia aspect of Chicago is definitely something that's in the back of my mind though... and has been keeping me from 100% EDing Penn.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:04 pm

soupisgood wrote:
CLS is definitely my favorite CCN and probably my #1 choice, but looking at LSN users with my #'s range (3.33-3.53, 171-174) and seeing 2 whole acceptances (users with GPA's closer to 3.5) and far more rejections and WL's, I feel like CLS ED might just be a waste.

From everything that I've heard, I feel like I'd fit in better at UPenn. I haven't had the chance to visit either school, but Chicago seems to have that hardcore, intellectual, intense gunner kind of feel while Penn seems a little friendlier and more chill (well, chill for a LS, anyway).

The academia aspect of Chicago is definitely something that's in the back of my mind though... and has been keeping me from 100% EDing Penn.

My impression of academia is that it's a never-ending world of hardcore, intellectual, intense gunners.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:09 pm

We are damn near numbers twins. :D

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:00 am

FWIW I don't see CLS happening, ED or no

soupisgood

Postby soupisgood » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:11 am

IAFG wrote:FWIW I don't see CLS happening, ED or no

Yeah I don't either... which is why it isn't on my school list :P If they send me a fee waiver like they did last year, I might just send one for kicks.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:00 pm

soupisgood wrote:
trudat15 wrote:

My list so far:
UPenn (probably ED?)
Cornell
UVA
Chicago

That's kind of the attitude I thought as well. Even with Chicago undergrad, or Booth MBA they have the same sort of reputation. Like you, I really wanted Columbia, but thought with and ED I would still be a crapshoot. But the more I read about Chicago, the more I thought I would like it. Especially the small class sizes + great professors.
This is coming from someone probably as new to all this as you are, but if Penn is really your first choice and you are writing a Why X essay, I would imagine you might have a shot at Penn RD, which would leave your options open, esp with $$.
As a splitter, I would blanket the T14 just to see what happens and where you might get money. Maybe you can leverage a scholly from UVA or Mich to get more at Upenn at the end.

soupisgood

Postby soupisgood » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:14 am

I guess I'll have to take a closer look at Chicago before I make any big decisions. Thanks for your help, guys!

Return to “What are my chances?”