3.89 T1 GPA, Questions on Top14/Environ.Public Interest

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
vmiller

3.89 T1 GPA, Questions on Top14/Environ.Public Interest

Postby vmiller » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:07 am

I have been doing quite a bit of research in preparation for the upcoming admissions cycle, but couldn't resist the opportunity to get some opinions from those that have applied/are applying.

First off, stats are 3.89 GPA from T1 natl. university, dual BA in Poli Sci with honors (50 pg. research paper) and Sociology with honors (research paper again). Both papers have an environmental focus. Hoping for strong recs from both research advisors. 1 year teaching in a low income school, currently teaching English in rural Japan while doing some personal environmental study/travelling.
Taking the October LSAT (in Japan...yikes), scoring between 168-170 on practice tests and about to bump up into crazy study mode for the next 6 weeks. Bought the logical reasoning bible and tons of practice tests for this purpose, any other advice would be welcome.

I am interested in environmental law, definitely public interest.

Here come the questions:
1. Chances at a top 14 school, particularly on the east coast. Is this a stretch or a possibility?
2. Odds of financial aid at top 14 schools, particularly due to PI job hopes, unsure if I can swing 200k in loans...
3. Recommended top 14 schools for environmental law.
4. Anything I can/should do at this point to bump up my chances.
5. Personal statement advice based on the above information...I feel like I could take about 100 different approaches and am unsure which would be the best.
6. Any articles/outside information on the above question topics.

Thanks again for reading and any help you can offer!

Jack Smirks

Re: 3.89 T1 GPA, Questions on Top14/Environ.Public Interest

Postby Jack Smirks » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:17 am

I'm not sure about environmental programs but I plan on going into PI also. Here is a good link to consider Tier 1 LRAP programs.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=119817

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:30 am

1. Depends on your LSAT.
2. Depends on your LSAT.
3. No.
4. Do well on the LSAT.
5. Worry more about your LSAT.
6. Do well on the LSAT.

Notice a theme?

vmiller

Postby vmiller » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:49 am

I absolutely comprehend the importance of the LSAT. Just looking for some advice as I hope to start applying before I hear back about my score.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:24 am

vmiller wrote:I absolutely comprehend the importance of the LSAT. Just looking for some advice as I hope to start applying before I hear back about my score.

What's the point? Apply to the entire T14, look at your acceptances and scholarships, make a choice then.

The only possibility would be throwing out an ED depending on your LSAT (which most people would probably not advise anyways).

Return to “What are my chances?”