Understanding Splitter Issues w/LSP

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
vsl89

Understanding Splitter Issues w/LSP

Postby vsl89 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:53 am

So, I wanted to get a feel for my chances at CLS and so I plugged in my stats and got a 51%. (I'm actually reverse splitter with a 169 & 4.0). I noticed when you plug in the medians for CLS on LSP,your chances of admission are only 48%. Am I really looking at the same shot as someone w/ a number on both medians?

Bumi

Re: Understanding Splitter Issues w/LSP

Postby Bumi » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:29 am

Take a look here. Looks like a lot of people with either median stats or your stats get waitlisted a lot, with median stats standing a much better shot at an acceptance.

http://columbia.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

LSP isn't the best for highly split stats, but you don't strike me as too terrible of a reverse split. The bottom line is that you have a shot at CLS and if you want to go there you should apply there.

The postscript to the bottom line is that if I ever click on another thread with "splitter" in the title and see a 4.0 GPA, I am going to stab my eye out. Not both eyes, just one. I'm a real splitter, we do things halfway or not at all.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:31 am

If LSN can be considered reliable at all, the answer is unfortunately no.

Search for people who applied to Columbia with LSAT 169 and GPA 3.9+ produces 6 WLs and 5 pendings (no Acceptances).

Search for people who applied to Columbia with LSAT 172 and GPA 3.6 - 3.8 produces 11 Acceptances, 11 WLs, and 10 pendings.

In your shoes:

1) If Columbia is your dream, ED. You have a chance, simply not as good as a student at both medians.
2) Same search for NYU (your numbers) reveals 6 Acceptances and 3 WLs (great chance a the #6 school!)

Best of luck!

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:44 am

The reverse splitter issue is that high GPAs are more common than high LSATs so your softs matter more, since you're up against more people with fungible stats.

Sh@keNb@ke

Postby Sh@keNb@ke » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:40 pm

With your stats and if you're really set on Columbia, I'd suggest ED'ing.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:46 pm

Sh@keNb@ke wrote:With your stats and if you're really set on Columbia, I'd suggest ED'ing.

Eh NYU will take a 4.0/169, and lower T13's will give money. Close enough. I wouldn't ED.

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:03 pm

IAFG wrote:The reverse splitter issue is that high GPAs are more common than high LSATs so your softs matter more, since you're up against more people with fungible stats.

Good point - I am also a reverse splitter at 167/3.86 and this does explain why people with these kind of numbers have unpredictable cycles...hopefully I wont be a reverse splitter anymore after the Oct LSAT (now if I can just get less then -10 on LG....)

vsl89

Postby vsl89 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:07 pm

I am actually going to apply to CLS ED, even though I realize that ED could seal the deal for me at NYU. I just have always dreamed of going to CLS and I want to take a chance on my dream.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:08 pm

vsl89 wrote:I am actually going to apply to CLS ED, even though I realize that ED could seal the deal for me at NYU. I just have always dreamed of going to CLS and I want to take a chance on my dream.

I think you have a good shot at NYU RD anyway. If you really prefer CLS, ED there. I'm not sure you have a decent shot, but EDing might help.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:11 pm

jtemp320 wrote:
IAFG wrote:The reverse splitter issue is that high GPAs are more common than high LSATs so your softs matter more, since you're up against more people with fungible stats.

Good point - I am also a reverse splitter at 167/3.86 and this does explain why people with these kind of numbers have unpredictable cycles...hopefully I wont be a reverse splitter anymore after the Oct LSAT (now if I can just get less then -10 on LG....)

You are in no way a splitter. Your numbers are remarkably even.

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:28 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:

Really? For a lot of top schools 3.86 is at 75th% or even over but 167 is at or under 25th% - the only school I am looking at where I am closer to both medians then a 25/75 (or wider) split is Boalt

If OP's 169/4.0 is a reverse split (albeit not a very dramatic one) then mine is too - that said I'd trade my split for OP's

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:33 pm

vsl89 wrote:I am actually going to apply to CLS ED, even though I realize that ED could seal the deal for me at NYU. I just have always dreamed of going to CLS and I want to take a chance on my dream.

I often hate when people suggest this but is it crazy to suggest a retake of the LSAT here? You are in great shape for a lot of good schools but if Columbia is your dream and you want to reach for Columbia that may be the best way - a couple of points higher and you are basically a lock. That said, they average so be careful...

Just a thought

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:34 pm

jtemp320 wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:

Really? For a lot of top schools 3.86 is at 75th% or even over but 167 is at or under 25th% - the only school I am looking at where I am closer to both medians then a 25/75 (or wider) split is Boalt

If OP's 169/4.0 is a reverse split (albeit not a very dramatic one) then mine is too - that said I'd trade my split for OP's

I'd say neither of you are. You are for two schools colombia and chicago but thats it. Splitter as far as I am aware is below 25th and above 75th.

vsl89

Postby vsl89 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:37 pm

jtemp320 wrote:

I often hate when people suggest this but is it crazy to suggest a retake of the LSAT here? You are in great shape for a lot of good schools but if Columbia is your dream and you want to reach for Columbia that may be the best way - a couple of points higher and you are basically a lock. That said, they average so be careful...

Just a thought

I'm nervous about retaking b/c while it might help me at CLS, it might hurt me at NYU, which tends to look down on ppl who take it more than once. That said, I'm applying to masters programs for safety in case I don't get into CLS, NYU, or UPenn. I will retake the LSAT then while in a masters. (If I do get into one of those three, though, I will be more than happy going to law school.)

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:39 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:I'd say neither of you are. You are for two schools colombia and chicago but thats it. Splitter as far as I am aware is below 25th and above 75th.

The whole point of being a splitter is that it's referenced to a specific school's numbers. Saying "you are one" or "you aren't one" is meaningless. "You are one at Harvard, but not elsewhere" is meaningful.

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:50 pm

vsl89 wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:

Just a thought

I'm nervous about retaking b/c while it might help me at CLS, it might hurt me at NYU, which tends to look down on ppl who take it more than once. That said, I'm applying to masters programs for safety in case I don't get into CLS, NYU, or UPenn. I will retake the LSAT then while in a masters. (If I do get into one of those three, though, I will be more than happy going to law school.)

Got it - well that makes sense and good luck

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:00 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:I'd say neither of you are. You are for two schools colombia and chicago but thats it. Splitter as far as I am aware is below 25th and above 75th.

The whole point of being a splitter is that it's referenced to a specific school's numbers. Saying "you are one" or "you aren't one" is meaningless. "You are one at Harvard, but not elsewhere" is meaningful.

Pssh. People who are only splitters at certain schools are called "well rounded." For some of us, beating 75th and losing to 25th is pretty damn universal.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:45 pm

Bumi wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:

Pssh. People who are only splitters at certain schools are called "well rounded." For some of us, beating 75th and losing to 25th is pretty damn universal.

I'm not a splitter at Cooley, Thomas Jefferson, St Thomas and Southern University.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:52 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I'm not a splitter at Cooley, Thomas Jefferson, St Thomas and Southern University.

Splitter cred: revoked. Sorry DF.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:02 pm

Bumi wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I'm not a splitter at Cooley, Thomas Jefferson, St Thomas and Southern University.

lol out-splittered twice in one 24 hour period

Postby 09042014 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:04 pm

IAFG wrote:
Bumi wrote:

lol out-splittered twice in one 24 hour period

He was one at literally every school. Over 75 at Yale, under the 25 at SU. Hilarious.

Return to “What are my chances?”