low gpa/high lsat - HLS - international student Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
bleu

New

Re: low gpa/high lsat - HLS - international student

Post by bleu » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:43 pm

Thank you for helping me correct my ways...... seriously. sorry...

cr0mbie

New

Post by cr0mbie » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:07 am

Ok, so despite the stupid, pointless and arrogant comments of some people here, the fact that you "portuguese girl" have all those extra curricular activities is a plus. You speak 6 languages you said? THAT'S impressive. How many languages do you speak olivia? yeah so shut up.
The thing is, Harvard is a top notch school yes, BUT it has a criteria like other schools. For example, the grading system doesn't really apply for international students. First of all, international students have a lower expectation due to language barriers and so on. You come from Portugal so your GPA requirement is a tad lower than me for example. Harvard wants to know you are a leader and exceed expectations. Unlike people here are saying, the grades aren't as important as you think. They are extremely important but think about it, a lot of people can get a 3.0 to 4.0 GPA in America because the school system here is ridiculous. It's really easy compared to Europe and that will be taken under consideration. The fact that you obtain leader positions at your school and can speak and understand 6 languages will help you more than you think believe me.

What a coincidence because I actually studied abroad in Lisbon and it was actually quite hard and I speak portuguese and spanish fluently.
I honestly think that you should only study law here if you want to live here because the laws are different in each country. This is not a type of degree you can use in every country.
If you were thinking of another degree...please don't take it in America... you get a better education in anywhere in Europe. Try London if you wanna go abroad for a while.

E nao te preocupes porque esta gente e atrasada mental lol e sao uns ressabiados ;)

HLSwannabe

New

Post by HLSwannabe » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:29 am

@cr0mbie: Hey hey! i'm impressed by how god you speak portuguese. :) Volta sempre a Portugal :)

Now relating to HLS: well...let's put it like this (and i'm sure you'll understand my grades), here in Portugal i'm almost finishing my bachelor's in International Relations with a 15 or 16 GPA (on a scale of 20). Other than portuguese, i speak english, good italian, somewhat good spanish, i understand french and i'm actually thinkin' of studying it again so i can speak it as well, and finally i'm taking russian at the university (in european grades when i finish school i'll have B1 completed).
Besides that, there are all my extracurrilar activities plus the fact that i did volunteer translation work for Amnisty International Portugal.
And i work 2 jobs right now plus school, but i might get 2 more in the next month...lol i'm crazy i know!
And i already have 2 recommendation letters from my course directors and an evaluation from my boss.

So now i just have to wait and see. I really wanna study law and specially at HLS...it's the best school and also near to my family.

Anyways, thankx for your help :) E se voltares a Portugal visita a minha cidade: Braga!

Já agora, after i finish school i'm taking a few months and going to work in Ireland ...

jeremysen

Bronze

Post by jeremysen » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:51 am

cr0mbie wrote:For example, the grading system doesn't really apply for international students. First of all, international students have a lower expectation due to language barriers and so on. You come from Portugal so your GPA requirement is a tad lower than me for example. Harvard wants to know you are a leader and exceed expectations. Unlike people here are saying, the grades aren't as important as you think. They are extremely important but think about it, a lot of people can get a 3.0 to 4.0 GPA in America because the school system here is ridiculous. It's really easy compared to Europe and that will be taken under consideration. The fact that you obtain leader positions at your school and can speak and understand 6 languages will help you more than you think believe me.
nice #1 post, p u s s y, full of bullshit you made up based on your brilliant deductions. law admissions are notorious for their numbers focus. another spin is: OP has only 1 number to be judged on instead of 2.

Your comment on US schools being much easier & that foreign applicants would get a break is just pure idiocy.

HLSwannabe wrote:might get 2 more in the next month...lol i'm crazy i know!
you're so crazy, omfg

1evilo.aihpos

New

Post by 1evilo.aihpos » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:00 am

jeremysen wrote:
cr0mbie wrote:For example, the grading system doesn't really apply for international students. First of all, international students have a lower expectation due to language barriers and so on. You come from Portugal so your GPA requirement is a tad lower than me for example. Harvard wants to know you are a leader and exceed expectations. Unlike people here are saying, the grades aren't as important as you think. They are extremely important but think about it, a lot of people can get a 3.0 to 4.0 GPA in America because the school system here is ridiculous. It's really easy compared to Europe and that will be taken under consideration. The fact that you obtain leader positions at your school and can speak and understand 6 languages will help you more than you think believe me.
nice #1 post, p u s s y, full of bullshit you made up based on your brilliant deductions. law admissions are notorious for their numbers focus. another spin is: OP has only 1 number to be judged on instead of 2.

Your comment on US schools being much easier & that foreign applicants would get a break is just pure idiocy.

HLSwannabe wrote:might get 2 more in the next month...lol i'm crazy i know!
you're so crazy, omfg
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”