low gpa/high lsat - HLS - international student

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
HLSwannabe

low gpa/high lsat - HLS - international student

Postby HLSwannabe » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:59 am

hey. i'm a student from portugal, and i was wondering what are my chances of getting accepted at harvard law school with a substantial scholaship.
i'm finishing my 3y bachelor in international relations, and my point average when i graduate might be of 16.5, which is very good in portugal. but that translated into u.s. gpa (and i don't know if this is accurate) is about 3.2.
i'm also going to take the lsat in february, and i'm most confident that i'll ace it.
if that happens what are my chances at harvard?
i'm going to apply for the class of 2015. so in 2011 i'm gonna be doing a 6 month internship at nato hq in brussels.
i also speak 6 languages

thankx
Last edited by HLSwannabe on Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

deadpanic

Re: low gpa/high lsat - HLS - international student

Postby deadpanic » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:09 am

Unfortunately, no chance at HLS with a 3.2.

HLSwannabe

Postby HLSwannabe » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:26 am

actually, according to this website: --LinkRemoved--
my gpa would be of 4.0
here in portugal our scale is 1-20 being 20 the highest.

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:28 am

Your GPA will not be used in the same way as a US one. Your transcripts will be evaluated by AACRAO and the quality of your academic record will be determined.

1 - Send transcripts to LSAC.
2 - Wait for evaluation.
3 - See "superior"
4 - Ace LSAT.
5 - HLS.

Gz.

HLSwannabe

Postby HLSwannabe » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:30 am

oops....3.7 i meant

kazu

Postby kazu » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:30 am

Without an exact LSAT score, and an exact information on how LSAC translated your foreign credits, we really can't give you any definitive advice. LSAC has their own ways of evaluating foreign transcripts, and there's no guarantee they'll follow a guide you've seen.

Even with those things it'll be hard to say since there aren't that many international students to compare against.

jdhonest

Postby jdhonest » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:31 am

Sorry, still no shot at Harvard. After watching the world cup, admissions officers have learned that while Portugal's best and brightest are full of potential, they rarely live up to expectations.

HLSwannabe

Postby HLSwannabe » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:31 am

well...3.7 or 4.0-----can someone find me an accurate grade converter?

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:32 am

HLSwannabe wrote:hey. i'm a student from portugal, and i was wondering what are my chances of getting accepted at harvard law school with a substantial scholaship.
i'm finishing my 3y bachelor in international relations, and my point average when i graduate might be of 16.5, which is very good in portugal. but that translated into u.s. gpa (and i don't know if this is accurate) is about 3.2.
i'm also going to take the lsat in february, and i'm most confident that i'll ace it.
i'm going to apply for the class of 2015. so in 2011 i'm gonna be doing a 6 month internship at nato hq in brussels.
i also speak 6 languages and play 3 musical intruments and i sing very well.
when i was in highschool i came in 2nd on a rethoric competition.
and my parents can't support me tru college. we dont have any money, and so without a substantial scholarship i can't do it.
i'm also going to apply for NYU and BU.
i'm a girl and i'm christian non-catholic.
can someone help me?
p.s.: my grandmother died a month before i enrolled college. so i started a bit rough.....

thankx

take the lsat before you post titles like that. Use the search option. stop wasting our time. You probably will not got to harvard.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:33 am

HLSwannabe

Postby HLSwannabe » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:35 am

haha...well i assure you we have great potential and can finish plays. we just got beaten up by spain. and that ref should be in jail!!!

about hls: well...i'm very bright and i'm find my lsat prep very easy. i get all answers correct...so i think i might be cappable of aceing it. and 17 grade average in portugal is very good. so if they don't use my charts, i think that they must know our education grading system. so that could work for me.
i'm thinkin of taking the lsat in february, so if doenst go as i want i can re-take it in june.

and about scholarship....there's any chance of full and more scholarship at hls?

kazu

Postby kazu » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:36 am

HLSwannabe wrote:well...3.7 or 4.0-----can someone find me an accurate grade converter?

LSAC doesn't convert to a numerical grade. They give you a ranking based on your individual performance + the quality of your undergrad. It goes something like "Superior" "Above average" "Average" "Below Average" etc. You will not have an LSDAS GPA.

HLSwannabe

Postby HLSwannabe » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:39 am

that's good then. 17 in portugal is above average leaning to superior.

thechee

Postby thechee » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:48 am

sophia.olive wrote:
HLSwannabe wrote:hey. i'm a student from portugal, and i was wondering what are my chances of getting accepted at harvard law school with a substantial scholaship.
and my parents can't support me tru college. we dont have any money, and so without a substantial scholarship i can't do it.
can someone help me?
p.s.: my grandmother died a month before i enrolled college. so i started a bit rough.....

thankx

take the lsat before you post titles like that. Use the search option. stop wasting our time. You probably will not got to harvard.

...because those of us on TLS have terribly important matters needing our attention, and have absolutely no time whatsoever for pointless discussions.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:51 am

HLSwannabe wrote:haha...well i assure you we have great potential and can finish plays. we just got beaten up by spain. and that ref should be in jail!!!

about hls: well...i'm very bright and i'm find my lsat prep very easy. i get all answers correct...so i think i might be cappable of aceing it. and 17 grade average in portugal is very good. so if they don't use my charts, i think that they must know our education grading system. so that could work for me.
i'm thinkin of taking the lsat in february, so if doenst go as i want i can re-take it in june.

and about scholarship....there's any chance of full and more scholarship at hls?

no

you have to be a flame

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:52 am

thechee wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:
can someone help me?

thankx

...because those of us on TLS have terribly important matters needing our attention, and have absolutely no time whatsoever for pointless discussions.

exactly

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:53 am

i'm very bright and i'm find my lsat prep very easy

lol
Last edited by sophia.olive on Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

HLSwannabe

Postby HLSwannabe » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:55 am

this website serves to give answers. if ur so uninterested on my post, then just go read somebody else's posts...

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:57 am

i also play 3 musical intruments and i sing very well

lol
how old are you?

HLSwannabe

Postby HLSwannabe » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:59 am

not that is of your concern but i'm 20.

bleu

Postby bleu » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:01 am

--ImageRemoved--

bleu

Postby bleu » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:07 am

--ImageRemoved--

bleu

Postby bleu » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:10 am

--ImageRemoved--

ShuckingNotJiving

Postby ShuckingNotJiving » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:19 pm

Still with those memes, really? We can't hate on the OP's writing skills, he/she IS foreign. I pretty sure my Portuguese is horrendous. OP, I think what everyone is trying to say is that you can't assume you'll do well on the LSAT. You just need to study your hardest, get a good score, then try to gauge your options. Speaking multiple languages might work in your favor. Having a loss during UG may explain a sub-par GPA. All those things considered, your LSAT is key, so focus on how that will help you (by studying) and not how other, less important factors, will make a difference.

Also, most of the refs from the world cup should have been arrested, if not in jail. Many of those games were nothing short of hot messes.

DeweyDell

Postby DeweyDell » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:43 pm

That last meme was too classic.

Return to “What are my chances?”