170/4.13

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
wesleys

170/4.13

Postby wesleys » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:47 pm

Hi All,

I'm new to this board, and it seems that there are a lot of users here with a lot of knowledge! My transcript just got processed by LSAC, and the conversion worked out very favourably for me... :D I'm looking to apply for the Fall 2011 cycle.

My LSAT is 170, with GPA of 4.13.

What do you think are realistic reach schools with my stats? Would it be worth it to take the risk of rewriting the LSAT for 1-2 points gain? My softs are slightly above average and my LORs should be solid (though nothing particularly amazing for either). I'm also a Canadian, if that matters.

Thanks! :)

lawyerwannabe

Re: 170/4.13

Postby lawyerwannabe » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:12 am

I cannot comment on how being Canadian will affect your cycle. Also, it depends on what schools you would like to attend as to whether retaking the LSAT would be worth it. Most of the top law schools (which I am assuming you are aiming for) would simply average your LSATs if they were within one or two points.

With all that said:

I think you are in at t5 on down (according to LSN and LSP).

You have virtual no shot at Y or H (very possible WL but I would highly doubt a straight acceptance).

S is a blackbox but I would apply there if I were you.

Columbia appears to be a bit of a tossup (leaning towards WL).

kazu

Postby kazu » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:16 am

wesleys wrote: Would it be worth it to take the risk of rewriting the LSAT for 1-2 points gain?

Maybe... where were you PT-ing? How sure are you of that gain? Is there a chance that it could fall as well?

Agree with lawyerwannabe's advice regarding schools. (with the assumption that a Canadian LSDAS GPA is the same as a U.S. one - I honestly don't know)

2ofspades

Postby 2ofspades » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:51 am

wesleys wrote:What do you think are realistic reach schools with my stats? Would it be worth it to take the risk of rewriting the LSAT for 1-2 points gain?

I would be extremely cautious about retesting. You already have an outstanding shot to all except HYSC. In the worst case scenario, your score goes down, lowering your odds at the rest of the T14. Now, would 1-2 points help you? I'm not familiar with Stanford, but at HYC, I think you would need 2-3 more points to substantially improve your odds - and since each of those schools average scores, you would need to do even better to offset your original score.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:54 am

wesleys wrote:Hi All,

I'm new to this board, and it seems that there are a lot of users here with a lot of knowledge! My transcript just got processed by LSAC, and the conversion worked out very favourably for me... :D I'm looking to apply for the Fall 2011 cycle.

What do you think are realistic reach schools with my stats? Would it be worth it to take the risk of rewriting the LSAT for 1-2 points gain? My softs are slightly above average and my LORs should be solid (though nothing particularly amazing for either). I'm also a Canadian, if that matters.

unrealistic reach: yale
realistic reach: harvard, stanford
target: columbia, chicago, berkeley,
strong target: uva, michigan, penn
safety: nyu, duke, georgetown, cornell

an increase of 2 or 3 points would give you a shot at yale. so it could be worth it.

kazu

Postby kazu » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:01 am

najumobi wrote:
wesleys wrote:Hi All,

unrealistic reach: yale
realistic reach: harvard, stanford
target: columbia, chicago, berkeley,
strong target: uva, michigan, penn
safety: nyu, duke, georgetown, cornell

an increase of 2 or 3 points would give you a shot at yale. so it could be worth it.

An increase of 3 points would make Harvard a solid target.

However.. the question is whether OP can reliably get those few extra points this October.....

wesleys

Postby wesleys » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:09 am

Wow, thanks for all the great responses! I'm really impressed with the quick replies from everyone... very helpful indeed.

My PT's had been ranging anywhere from 165 (ouch!) - 174... depending on how I was feeling that day, and the luck of the draw. You all make good points in that since HYSC average LSAT scores, I'd need to do significantly better to boost my average by even just 1-2 points. I'm thinking maybe not worth the retake.

Does anyone know how coming from a Canadian university affects my applications to the US universities? (my university is within top 3 in Canada, and fairly well known internationally)

Sh@keNb@ke

Postby Sh@keNb@ke » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:16 pm

ED to Columbia!

lawls

Postby lawls » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:55 am

Your realistic reaches are probably Stanford and Columbia. You might consider ED to Columbia if the goal is NY biglaw, as you are a reverse splitter and might not get in RD, but ED should give you a decent chance. Harvard and Yale are very likely out. Your targets are Chicago/NYU, though you're a bit of a reverse splitter so prepare for some unpredictability. Berkeley should love you, but you should be fine 7-14 anyways.

Undergrad doesn't matter much--McGill/UofT/UBC (I'm guessing it is McGill) will all be fine admissions wise, but none are good enough to give you a boost. I haven't seen anything to suggest Canadians do worse or better than Americans for admissions.

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:12 pm

Last edited by Sentry on Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MiamiUG

Postby MiamiUG » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:24 pm

I think you're out at HY.
You probably have a good shot at SCCN

Return to “What are my chances?”