Best chance at full ride?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
MichaelB123

Best chance at full ride?

Postby MichaelB123 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:12 am

First post here but I have been a long time lurker.

I have a 164 on my lsat with a 3.65 LSDAS GPA. No special softs but I am convinced that I have a fairly strong app as far as my numbers, LOR's, and PS.

I would like to work somewhere in Houston or Dallas when I graduate, so naturally I will be applying to all of the Texas schools. However, I am willing to go to law school anywhere in the U.S. if I could get a full ride. What schools are likely to give out a good chunk of money to someone with my numbers? How low does someone with my numbers have to dip in the top 100 in order to recieve a substantial amount of money?

Any responses are greatly appreciated.

reverendt

Re: Best chance at full ride?

Postby reverendt » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:18 am

I'd say the lower end of T2 at best.
I doubt full rides will be forthcoming at too many schools outside of t3 but it's worth a shot.
I had a 164/2.75 (with all the bad grades from ten years earlier, and addendum, and 60 credits worth of As from more recent years).
I was offered a 3/4 ride at Syracuse, and about 50% at Seton Hall and Franklin Pierce.
You have a better GPA situation so maybe schools like "cuse and FP will offer you a full ride.
I would expect some nice offers throughout T2, but probably not the full monty.

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:21 am

If you know you want to live in Houston or Dallas dont apply outside those regions and give up career options in the future for a couple grand right now. Your numbers are not great enough to think you're going to get a full ride at a top school so you need to apply heavily in your region of choice. Apply to UT, Houston, SMU, Tech, Weslayan, South Texas and hope for the best. Retake if you were below your PT avg.

MichaelB123

Postby MichaelB123 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:25 am

Thanks for the replys.

I know I want to work in Texas someday, but I wouldn't mind getting out of Texas for three years of law school. I would actually prefer to do that, given that I've lived here my whole life.

Not sure if I'm going to retake yet.

Anyone else with similar stats have any info?

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:30 am

You might get a full ride from Texas Tech, but you'll also get some decent money from SMU, so I'd take that over Tech.

With your numbers, you are not going to be able to go to a school that has reach into Texas (that is outside of Texas), much less with a full ride.

Houston & SMU are your best bets. Maybe Tech if you are concerned about a full ride, but I'm not sure of their placement in Houston or Dallas.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:32 am

Try Alabama, Iowa, Wake Forest, Baylor & SMU (although full tuition grants at SMU are not common) as well as Indiana. These are not Texas Tech type "best bet at a full ride", but are worth an application with your numbers. Also look at UNLV & Colorado.

MichaelB123

Postby MichaelB123 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:41 am

Thanks.

Yea I'm not really looking to go to any T3 or T4 schools, so I don't think I would go to Texas Tech.

I know I can get into some decent T1 and T2 schools, so I'm trying to figure out which ones I am likely to land the most money at.

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:42 am

MichaelB123 wrote:Thanks for the replys.

I know I want to work in Texas someday, but I wouldn't mind getting out of Texas for three years of law school. I would actually prefer to do that, given that I've lived here my whole life.

Not sure if I'm going to retake yet.

Anyone else with similar stats have any info?

Its not as simple as just getting out of Texas for three years of law school and then just getting a job in Texas and coming back. I doubt you will not be attending a "national" law school so whatever region you go to school in will be the region you are stuck in for the next 5 - 10 years AFTER law school. Unless you are planning to retake and hit 170 you would be best served keeping your apps in Texas and maybe Tulane though I'm not familiar with their OCI firms.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:49 am

Also, it is unlikely that any tier one or tier two law school will offer you, or anyone else, a "full ride" as most limit merit awards to full tuition & fees, while some may also offer a book allowance of $1,500 or so. I have read, nonetheless, of at least one TLS poster being offered almost a full ride (tuition, fees, books & housing allowance but not board). I do not recall the school but the housing allowance was offered only after the poster turned down the full tuition & fees offer.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:07 am

MichaelB123 wrote:First post here but I have been a long time lurker.

I have a 164 on my lsat with a 3.65 LSDAS GPA. No special softs but I am convinced that I have a fairly strong app as far as my numbers, LOR's, and PS.

I would like to work somewhere in Houston or Dallas when I graduate, so naturally I will be applying to all of the Texas schools. However, I am willing to go to law school anywhere in the U.S. if I could get a full ride. What schools are likely to give out a good chunk of money to someone with my numbers? How low does someone with my numbers have to dip in the top 100 in order to recieve a substantial amount of money?

Any responses are greatly appreciated.

I doubt you could get a full ride with a 164 unless you go T3 or T4. But I do think you could get quite close in T2...just beware or the scholly requirements from those tier 2's. They can be kinda shoddy.

I would say to get in full ride range you might want to up that score to the 167-169 range to really start hoping for a full ride.

Return to “What are my chances?”