179 LSAT/2nd Class Upper Honours

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
SentinelsOfEvil

179 LSAT/2nd Class Upper Honours

Postby SentinelsOfEvil » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:45 am

I have a second class upper honours degree (Equivalent to the British 2:1) in engineering from a foreign university (NTU, Singapore), 2 years work experience in the finance industry (3 by next fall) and I scored a 179 in my only LSAT attempt... I'm a 23 y/o Male from India... What are my chances at the T6 universities?
Last edited by SentinelsOfEvil on Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

sophia.olive

Re: 179 LSAT/2nd Class Upper Honours

Postby sophia.olive » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:48 am

What about retaking the lsat?
there is no tier 7

SentinelsOfEvil

Postby SentinelsOfEvil » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:59 am

Not familiar with the specific tiers... I always assumed T meant top there... My bad... Anyway, to rephrase, what are my chances at getting into Yale, Stanford, Harvard, Columbia, U of Chicago, NYU and Berkley?

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:00 am

I'm sure there are some people who know what it means to have the equivalent to a British blah blah degree, but the majority of posters here won't. Regardless, with a 179, you'll have a very good chance at virtually any school (with the exception of Yale - which, as I understand, is always a crapshoot)

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:01 am

Also, any chance you can retake? A 180 would really help you out

/sarcasm

SentinelsOfEvil

Postby SentinelsOfEvil » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:02 am

TommyK wrote:I'm sure there are some people who know what it means to have the equivalent to a British blah blah degree, but the majority of posters here won't. Regardless, with a 179, you'll have a very good chance at virtually any school (with the exception of Yale - which, as I understand, is always a crapshoot)

The only reason I posted that is because I did not receive a GPA from my uni... I'm not sure how exactly law schools handle foreign degrees with no GPAs...

SentinelsOfEvil

Postby SentinelsOfEvil » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:04 am

TommyK wrote:Also, any chance you can retake? A 180 would really help you out

/sarcasm

Haha, sure... If I get offered a $2k bet on that, I would definitely attempt that

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:04 am

SentinelsOfEvil wrote:
TommyK wrote:I'm sure there are some people who know what it means to have the equivalent to a British blah blah degree, but the majority of posters here won't. Regardless, with a 179, you'll have a very good chance at virtually any school (with the exception of Yale - which, as I understand, is always a crapshoot)

The only reason I posted that is because I did not receive a GPA from my uni... I'm not sure how exactly law schools handle foreign degrees with no GPAs...

That means you can't go to law school :oops:

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:04 am

SentinelsOfEvil wrote:

It varies school-to-school, but with that LSAT score I imagine you have a good shot at all of the schools you listed.

SentinelsOfEvil

Postby SentinelsOfEvil » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:43 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
SentinelsOfEvil wrote:

It varies school-to-school, but with that LSAT score I imagine you have a good shot at all of the schools you listed.

Thanks for the info

hypothalamus

Postby hypothalamus » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:52 am

In the absence of a GPA law schools can look at, you will need great LORs from your professors in order to show that you're good at school, not just LSAT. That said, I don't even know how schools below HYSCCN even look at internationals to be honest... 2% foreign students doesn't sound very encouraging. :\

I've also been told we foreigners need to justify our desire to study law in the US in some way, on top of, like, showing why we want law school at all. Which I think is really annoying, but this seems to be the consensus.

PM me if you want a foreign applicant buddy.

weejonbu

Postby weejonbu » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:08 pm

Hey Sentinels,

Besides the people joking with you, I don't know why people are saying what they're saying. It seems to me that if you have a killer LSAT, great GPA, and would certainly be considered a URM by any law school (although I don't know exactly how foreign students are evaluated), you should have a great chance at just about any T-14 school, and with $$$. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Also, I've never heard of anyone from a foreign country having to justify why they want to study law in the U.S., or at least not any more than U.S. law applicants having to do the same.

hypothalamus

Postby hypothalamus » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:33 pm

weejonbu wrote:Hey Sentinels,

Besides the people joking with you, I don't know why people are saying what they're saying. It seems to me that if you have a killer LSAT, great GPA, and would certainly be considered a URM by any law school (although I don't know exactly how foreign students are evaluated), you should have a great chance at just about any T-14 school, and with $$$. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Also, I've never heard of anyone from a foreign country having to justify why they want to study law in the U.S., or at least not any more than U.S. law applicants having to do the same.

weejonbu,

When I posted a thread about being a foreigner applying to US law schools, most people just told me I should stay in Europe and not go through the trouble of paying for an American law school. Also, as a comparison, my UG institution has about 12% international students. HLS has 6%, and that's about the most "international" law school I've seen. I wish it were different, but it's not. I also think OP has a great chance with that LSAT, but do not forget that law schools want to see a GPA as well - and they won't see one, because LSAC doesn't report foreign GPAs.

As far as justifying the decision to go to a US law school, for someone with no citizenship it is kind of a valid question... Law schools do want you to mention something about future/career goals.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:37 pm

Also, I'm pretty sure being from India does not make you a URM, at least for law school admissions boost purposes.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:40 pm

Alright - you requested it. You're wrong :)

Nothing about being Indian indicates that he would be a URM.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:45 pm

So you're big on reading the whole thread, then, are you?

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:47 pm

clintonius wrote:So you're big on reading the whole thread, then, are you?

hmm? Who's that directed to?

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:55 pm

TommyK wrote:
You didn't read that and think, hey, maybe I should read the post directly before my last one?

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:53 pm

clintonius wrote:
TommyK wrote:
You didn't read that and think, hey, maybe I should read the post directly before my last one?

Whoa, easy there killer - I've read every post. I started typing my response before you did. I got derailed at work because I had an incoming call that I had to take, so you ended up beating me by a couple mins.

But in case I offended the delicate sensibilities of you or any other poster, I deeply apologize 8)

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:57 pm

To reiterate:
clintonius wrote:You didn't read that and think, hey, maybe I should read the post directly before my last one?
Further, I'm calmer than you are.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:06 pm

clintonius wrote:To reiterate:
clintonius wrote:You didn't read that and think, hey, maybe I should read the post directly before my last one?
Further, I'm calmer than you are.

Oh no - I'm calm. Didn't you see? I used the emoticon with sunglasses, not the emoticon with devil horns. Everything's cool, baby.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:12 pm

Corrected where wrong. Just to make clintonius happy.
Last edited by Bumi on Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:13 pm

From what I've read on boards here, you are not treated differently from students educated at American Universities. LSAC does have a separate way of calculating grades for people with foreign degrees, and these schools are familiar with the whole process.

Also, with the whole thing of low percentage of international students, that is not surprising because International Students do not usually apply for the JD program. So, that number might be in line with the percentage of international students that apply. It is darn expensive and they usually don't qualify for financial aid. Also, US is one of the few countries that does have Law program as postgraduate study. Most students trying to study law in the U.S. had probably gone through the law program (undergraduate degree) in their respective countries, and usually opt for the LLM program.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:18 pm

Bumi wrote:

Corrected where wrong. Just to make clintonius happy.

:mrgreen:

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:19 pm

TommyK wrote:Oh no - I'm calm. Didn't you see? I used the emoticon with sunglasses, not the emoticon with devil horns. Everything's cool, baby.

But you didn't address the issue of the discrepancy between your claiming to have read every post in the thread and your passing over my having said exactly what you said, even when you had an additional post under your belt in this very thread.

AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO GIVES A SHIT ABOUT THE RULES?

Return to “What are my chances?”