What are my chances !!!!!!

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
msk12

What are my chances !!!!!!

Postby msk12 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:06 pm

Hi guys, long time lurker first time poster here.
I was wondering if you guys could give me an idea about what law schools i would have a chance at.

the schools I would really like to get into would be:
Fordham (ft or pt)
Cardozo (ft or pt)
Brooklyn
St.Johns
Seattle U
lewis &clark

I am from vancouver, bc and a business student at Simon Fraser University. I really want to get into a New York school, but if not I would settle for the west coast. My gpa will be around 3.0-3.1 when i graduate, and will write the lsat soon. What mark do you guys think I would need to get into fordham or cardozo (ft or pt). Also, i am east indian (dont know if that will fly as a URM), i'm gunna pick up some extra ec's this year aswell. Hope to get some informative feedback!!

merichard87

Re: What are my chances !!!!!!

Postby merichard87 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:31 pm

Where do you want to end up working? New York or the West Coast or Canada?

Also, "what are my chances" is a question so all those exclamation marks in the title should have been question marks, just a pet peeve.

msk12

Postby msk12 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:47 pm

merichard87 wrote:Where do you want to end up working? New York or the West Coast or Canada?

Also, "what are my chances" is a question so all those exclamation marks in the title should have been question marks, just a pet peeve.

Well, if I got into a New York school I would be going with the mindset that I would be practicing there for a significant amount of time. Nonetheless, if I had it my way it would be 1. NYC 2. Vancity

The reason I didn't list any BC law schools is because they are extremely difficult to get into ( t-10 type standards), and i know law school is my calling so I wouldn't give up on it just because I cant get in. Also, job prospects with firms is much much higher in NYC than in Vancity.

msk12

Postby msk12 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:13 pm

Still Waiting........anybody got any ideas??????????????????

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:16 pm

Oh jeez someone get him away from punctuation marks. None if you use punctuation like that in your application. Also, take the LSAT and come back later.

kazu

Postby kazu » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:25 pm

acrossthelake wrote:Also, take the LSAT and come back later.

That phrase really, really needs to be stickied in this forum.

No LSAT = no useful advice that we can give you. If you're desperate go scavenging through LSN/LSP

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:30 pm

kazu wrote:

No LSAT = no useful advice that we can give you. If you're desperate go scavenging through LSN/LSP

Let's be honest...this forum is just people regurgitating LSN & LSP in prose form. The only info we can offer that LSN/LSP doesn't are some stock additional phrases such as:

"If you're a splitter with a high LSAT score and good work experience, try NU"
or
"If you're a URM, apply widely."
or
"Retake the LSAT."
or
"Your softs are too weak to matter."

All of which could really be condensed into one beautiful post.

Now, I'm hypocritical because I posted here once as well---though my question was more "if it's IN, is it really IN, as in are they locks or should I still apply widely below or what?"

kazu

Postby kazu » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:36 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
kazu wrote:

Let's be honest...this forum is just people regurgitating LSN & LSP in prose form. The only info we can offer that LSN/LSP doesn't are some stock additional phrases such as:

"If you're a splitter with a high LSAT score and good work experience, try NU"
or
"If you're a URM, apply widely."
or
"Retake the LSAT."
or
"Your softs are too weak to matter."

All of which could really be condensed into one beautiful post.

Now, I'm hypocritical because I posted here once as well---though my question was more "if it's IN, is it really IN, as in are they locks or should I still apply widely below or what?"

True.. but I do think we can offer more "specialized" insight for quite a few applicants, especially since there are posters who've been on TLS for multiple cycles. I thought that was the case with the answers to my question in this forum as well - people gave me really valuable advice on the marked differences between JR and TS.

However, those stock phrases do really need to be stickied somewhere. But above all - people aren't going to bother offering advice if you don't have an LSAT score. PT average =/= LSAT score.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:47 pm

OP, East Indian is not URM.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:58 pm

kazu wrote:
True.. but I do think we can offer more "specialized" insight for quite a few applicants, especially since there are posters who've been on TLS for multiple cycles. I thought that was the case with the answers to my question in this forum as well - people gave me really valuable advice on the marked differences between JR and TS.

However, those stock phrases do really need to be stickied somewhere. But above all - people aren't going to bother offering advice if you don't have an LSAT score. PT average =/= LSAT score.

Oh I'm not arguing for the abolition of this section or anything. (yeah....JR liked my numbers more :( ) But the majority of posts on this forum follow this template:

"Hi, I'm a long-time lurker, but this is my first post.

*Mention of irrelevant weak soft.*

*Mention of irrelevant weak soft*.

*Stuff about major*.

Oh and I have a X.XX GPA.

*More irrelevant comments.*

My PT Scores are 1XX, but I just signed up for a course so I should do better...

I'm a *insert racial minority that isn't a URM*, I'm a URM right?

What score should I get if I want to go to

*list of schools*"

Once in a while you can replace the "my pt scores" line with an actual score. Also, there are often many grammatical, typing, and spelling errors and often egregious massacre of punctuation marks.

This isn't meant as a dig at the OP, just a general off-topic discussion. (And yes, that first line is just common, even in the OP's original post).

kazu

Postby kazu » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:09 pm

acrossthelake wrote:Oh I'm not arguing for the abolition of this section or anything. (yeah....JR liked my numbers more :( ) But the majority of posts on this forum follow this template:

"Hi, I'm a long-time lurker, but this is my first post.

*Mention of irrelevant weak soft.*

*Mention of irrelevant weak soft*.

*Stuff about major*.

Oh and I have a X.XX GPA.

*More irrelevant comments.*

My PT Scores are 1XX, but I just signed up for a course so I should do better...

I'm a *insert racial minority that isn't a URM*, I'm a URM right?

What score should I get if I want to go to

*list of schools*"

Once in a while you can replace the "my pt scores" line with an actual score. Also, there are often many grammatical, typing, and spelling errors and often egregious massacre of punctuation marks.

This isn't meant as a dig at the OP, just a general off-topic discussion. (And yes, that first line is just common, even in the OP's original post).

Yeah, I definitely agree with you. The most annoying thing is that if they were actually long-term lurkers, they would know that posting in the "what are my chances" forum w/o an actual lsat score just annoys a lot of people, and rarely gets any useful replies at all :roll:

msk12

Postby msk12 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:57 pm

Thanks for the useful tips, very helpful people.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:10 pm

acrossthelake wrote: take the LSAT and come back later.

And use Law School Numbers and Law School Predictor etc to get an idea what your chances will be with various LSAT scores.

ajmanyjah

Postby ajmanyjah » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:33 am

naterj wrote:OP, East Indian is not URM.

It is in Vancouver....

msk12

Postby msk12 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:05 am

ajmanyjah wrote:
naterj wrote:OP, East Indian is not URM.

It is in Vancouver....

very true lol

Return to “What are my chances?”